News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for shobizpro

Member Name: shobizpro
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

TONY Award Performances
 Jun 9 2013, 05:58:26 PM
All that stuff is going to pale in comparison to the rockin' the cast of Motown is gonna put on the house!
28 Days
 May 25 2013, 06:48:16 PM
Well, if they can make a musical out of Titanic, they can make one out if rebar. Too bad Amy Winehouse isn't here to play the lead.

Shows that run too long...
 May 24 2013, 10:35:03 PM
"There's no way Disney will be closing The Lion King anytime soon. It's a cash cow that's still going strong."

Disney has 10+ productions of Lion King going, world wide. They net more money annually on one parking lot at Disney World than they do on all of them combined. Lion King Broadway won't be closing anytime soon, but any decision on whether or not to move it to make way for any of the upcoming productions won't be based on money. They kind of like putting new productions in the

Hate against
 May 22 2013, 09:24:58 PM
"If you were Mick Jagger, would you want to cover a Billy Joel song?"

OTOH, Ronnie Wood replaced Brian Jones/Mick Taylor and has kicked ass ever since.

I agree, the stigma attached to replacements is bull****.

"A new performer can come in and make the character his or her own in context with a character already defined in the play by somebody else."

In my experience, the writers and the directors "define" the characters, not the original actors. Maybe whe

The New Broadway Merchandise Trade Thread
 May 16 2013, 12:20:47 PM
"I am looking for a signed Beauty and the Beast windowcard. If you have one you are willing to trade please PM me."

I have one but now that Erin Dilly has been mentioned on Smash, would you be able to afford it?

JK. I would never sell it.

Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
 May 16 2013, 12:07:52 PM
"IAre people acting better in "mainstream" houses? I think not. My experience of late is that if anything, they act far worse. At least when it comes to team vulgarian! As far as the vigilante, this would appear to be a unique occurrence, not representative of behavior anywhere."

IMHO, just like uniforms in schools, I think the theater experience would benefit enourmously from a strict dress code. Personally, I wouldn't dream of attending without a jacket and tie andI'm sure I don't hav

Dollywood Productions
 May 15 2013, 09:11:48 PM
Helloooo!

http://m.gomemphis.com/news/2013/apr/30/former-memphian-nominated-for-tony-award/

Erin Dilly
 May 14 2013, 10:52:11 AM
Erin is a former co-worker whom I consider a friend. Having been on the receiving end, both personally and alongside an SO, of circumstances like Erin's TMM experiences ,I fully appreciate that it leaves a sore spot that never heals.
Show business is a cruel motha'.

OTOH, who was it that Alice Cooper stole the "There's no such thing as bad publicity" line from?

Screw 'em, Erin. We know who and what you are and we love you.

Motown Stage Door
 May 7 2013, 10:51:08 AM
They've installed barricades at the Lunt stage door, many of the cast stop and sign autographs and take pictures. As for BOTH kids, they cover each others track and generally one only stays at the theater until the last scene of the other. To be honest, I can't remember if the kid is in the last part of the show, only the bows. So the one who was not on for that performance MAY be long gone by the end of the show.
As for getting a good place in line, post show, I can't really endorse leav

Why are Non-Union tours so looked down upon ?
 May 2 2013, 04:35:54 PM
"Union shows have been around as long as the union, obviously (100 years). I don't know for sure, but I think there have probably always been non-union shows, but they may originally only have been amateur. I don't know the exact history.

However, the non-union touring market and the whole touring business model have kind of taken shape over the last couple decades, I think since the mega musicals of the 80s, when production costs skyrocketed because people wanted bigger and bigger pro

May 2 2013, 04:11:15 PM
Duplicate message
 May 2 2013, 04:11:14 PM
Same, same
 May 2 2013, 04:08:59 PM
"So what exactly is the point of the Equity card? "

Another point to add: AFAIK, once a non-equity actor gets a part in an equity production, the onus is on the producers to sponsor the actors admission to the union. The actor pays the fees, but I don't think you can simply buy a card without a production's referral.

The issue I have personally with non-union shows is that the producers/promoters charge the same tickets prices for stripped down bare bones shows. A production I

Attending the Tony Awards for the First Time
 May 2 2013, 03:05:25 PM
"And no, everyone with a ticket does not walk the red carpet, although if you are in tux/gown, plenty of folks will gawk to figure out if you are 'someone'."

And don't forget the oversized sunglasses.

"The fact that this question needs to be asked saddens me deeply. "

Me,too. After years of watching my fathers pre-show ritual of donning white tie and tails, another tiny bit of me dies every time I see someone coming to the theater in their finest Tommy Bahama beachwear.

THE ASSEMBLED PARTIES Reviews
 May 2 2013, 02:56:37 PM
If its not on Hulu or Netflix yet, I'm sure it will be soon.
Broadway job description
 May 1 2013, 10:02:52 PM
The Sound Design also includes design of the backstage crew communications and paging systems and any backstage video (Conductor/FOH) feeds required to run the show.
THE ASSEMBLED PARTIES Reviews
 May 1 2013, 09:40:20 PM
Interesting now that you mention it. I kind of took it as an actor blocking/timing error when I saw it.
Phantom Lip-Synching?
 May 1 2013, 09:19:38 PM
"Dear lord...

jnb,
That is entirely false. The entire cast of Mamma Mia is mic'ed and sing live. Mamma Mia IS a stickler for mounting the mics right at the hairline, but on ALL of the ensemble men, you can see the mic cable taped to their backs along the spine when they shirtless and their transmitters are generally in the crotch of the costumes to avoid bulges in odd places when wearing smaller costumes.
The show also has several vocal booths backstage where the cast sings back

Distracting Mikes on Performers
 May 1 2013, 03:44:08 PM
"I bet you might find people who attend Wicked that have trouble understanding the performance even with mic and a little way back Smoky Joe's Cafe? Glad I knew the lyrics because the sound was completely distorted...?"

Hey, we all have bad nights and bad experiences. Touring is especially difficult, when you're faced with a new theater with new issues every week or two. But on the whole, I think the state of Broadway theater sound reinforcement in is wholly better place than it

Distracting Mikes on Performers
 May 1 2013, 03:36:17 PM
So, what are you saying? "It's springtime when men's thoughts turn to......

the size of mics on Broadway performers?"

To be perfectly honest, I've often wondered why one of the microphone manufacturers doesn't invent a microphone that goes on the neck over the vocal chords, kind of like the mics you see in WWII vintage air war movies when the pilot talks on his radio. I would assume those were developed to overcome the ambient noise in an aircraft and, obviously, they were made to be intelligible. Seems like with modern technology that could be made to be audiophile quality.

I think the problem lies in the fact that lavalier microphones were origninally developed for broadcast and for every mic sold to a production, there are probably 25 sold to television news outlets. Perhaps the money just isn't there to justify the investment.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You