News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for CurtainsUpat8

CurtainsUpat8 Profile Photo
Member Name: CurtainsUpat8
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 19 2024, 08:08:07 AM

Peter Barker said: "CurtainsUpat8 said: "First of all I take back my apology. I looked at the videos of Carole King and Sara Barielles. What they did was NOTHING similar to what Alicia Keys and Jay Z did. NOTHING. Sara sang a TINY bit of the song and Jesse finished it and Carole King only came in at the end to sing a short DUET with Jesse. So yes, it was disgusting what Alicia Keyes did.

As for your comment calling me a racist.... Pathetic. Sad. Troublesome. Wrong

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 18 2024, 10:21:02 PM

First of all I take back my apology.  I looked at the videos of Carole King and Sara Barielles.  What they did was NOTHING similar to what Alicia Keys and Jay Z did. NOTHING.   Sara sang a TINY bit of the song and Jesse finished it and Carole King only came in at the end to sing a short DUET with Jesse.  So yes, it was disgusting what Alicia Keyes did.

As for your comment calling me a racist....  Pathetic.  Sad.  Troublesome. Wrong. Childish.

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 17 2024, 11:32:30 AM

You know what I was wrong and you are correct.  That did happen with Waitress and that was awful as well.

I wish Gen Z would learn how to use the word "literally" correctly.

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 17 2024, 10:20:07 AM

tell me another time this has happened?   It's new, I believe.  Yes, it's marketing I understand that, I don't need a lecture on what was going on.   It was AWFUL and it set a terrible precedent.  Just more decline in the theatre world. Little by Little. Year by Year.

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 17 2024, 10:04:44 AM

I think something happened last night which I have never seen happen before.

Alicia Keyes STOLE the song from Maleah.  Maleah WON THE TONY. And the composer stepped in and took her best number. So we never got to hear the young lady who WON the award because the composer decided it was best she sing it.  That was AWFUL.  That was a disgrace imho. 

NY Times Today Editorial on
 Jun 16 2024, 07:57:51 PM

This is a great question and it's THE QUESTION.  If theater is going to progress/evolve it shouldn't be with a show like Gypsy or Bye Bye Birdie that is tortured to make it work.  Create new works for everyone!  

Jun 16 2024, 06:02:25 PM

Speed said: "CurtainsUpat8 said: "I agree 100 percent with his opinion. He explained in great detail "why not". The whole article was about "why not"

Theatre is storytelling about specific people in a specific time.And that makes a difference! The color of that person in that time period makes a difference historically and dramatically. He makes all the points I have been wanting to say. Using "Six" as an example is not relevant to th

Jun 16 2024, 03:57:39 PM

I don't agree with you but I appreciate the conversation. Thank you.

Dave Malloy's THREE HOUSES at Signature
 Jun 16 2024, 03:54:06 PM

I saw the show and loved much of it.  I have seen many things at The Signature.  Sometimes with these playwright residencies, or whatever you call them, I feel like the playwright has a homework assignment due and they write something to fulfill that assignment.  Or maybe they have a draft of something sitting around that they try out. Maybe that isn't a bad thing.... it's just the way it feels to me.

Jun 16 2024, 03:27:06 PM

How do you have "great theatre" that isn't rooted in reality?  Even a fantasty has it's "own" reality.   I love George C Wolfe but I don't think he has a magic wand that can change the historical reality of what being Black was like during this time period.  Why do we have dramaturgs? What is the point of them, if anyone can just rewrite history and historical reality?  Yes, the story is loosely based on Gypsy Rose Lee, and it's called a

Jun 16 2024, 01:47:34 PM

I agree 100 percent with his opinion. He explained in great detail "why not".   The whole article was about "why not"

Theatre is storytelling about specific people in a specific time.And that makes a difference!   The color of that person in that time period makes a difference historically and dramatically. He makes all the points I have been wanting to say.  Using "Six" as an example is not relevant to this discussion. I wouldn'

NY Times Today Editorial on "Gypsy"
 Jun 16 2024, 12:05:00 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/13/opinion/audra-mcdonald-gypsy-broadway.html

BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
 Jun 6 2024, 01:22:48 PM

Huss417 said: "OhHiii said: "MezzA101 said: "Ben Platt reveals his dream Broadway role

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/ben-platt-on-his-palace-theatre-residency-new-album-and-dream-broadway-role-060524
"

No.
"

To save anyone from having to read the full article.

"So far, adulthood has brought him closer and closer to the role of his dreams—Georges Seurat in the James Lapine and Stephen Sondheim musical Sunday in the Park with George."

And then Daddy Platt said "You shall play George Seurat on Broadway my son. And Noah shall be your Dot" 

YES! BEN PLATT IS REOPENING THE PALACE!!
 May 29 2024, 01:17:19 PM

I am pretty sure i am pointing out the obvious here. I look at this event from a more historic viewpoint.
The Palace Theater. Playing the Palace as a solo has been reserved for entertainment titans. Liza, Judy, Shirley, Bette... etc. 
I saw Ben in DEH at 2nd Stage and thought it was one of the most perfect combinations of actor and role I had seen in a long time. He was excellent in that role. He deserved the Tony Award.  I did not see him in Parade. I wish I had. I would

How is Jinkx Monsoon as Audrey.
 May 25 2024, 11:59:32 AM

All of the roles you mentioned were WRITTEN for men in drag. That is entirely different.  I don't have a problem with any of these.  

How is Jinkx Monsoon as Audrey.
 May 25 2024, 10:28:30 AM

Who cares if you are offended? I agree. This casting is ridiculous. I am a Gay man, and I don't need to see drag queens outside of a bar show.  Love their shows in bars. 

What is the worst production you have ever seen on Broadway? What is the worst show?
 May 25 2024, 10:14:47 AM

A Strange Loop

Disaster (Seth Rudetsky)

Is "gentle" theater gone forever?
 May 20 2024, 02:29:52 PM

No, this conversation has not been going on since the beginning of Broadway. Read about what was going on in the 30's and the 40's and the 50's and even the 60's. Kids call it the Golden Age. You are damned right it was the Golden Age. Because the decline really started in the 70's and ballooned with CATS and the Andrew Lloyd Weber crap. 

It has been getting progressively worse. Someone posted, and I am paraphrasing,  This is such a boring thread and s

What is the worst production you have ever seen on Broadway? What is the worst show?
 May 20 2024, 01:18:42 PM

Seth Rudetsy's Disaster was awful

Is
 May 20 2024, 09:10:54 AM

thank you the people that took my post seriously.

Let me say this... going to Broadway, for ME, is like flying.  Its stressful, expensive, there are extra charges, there are people scrambling for seats.. no legroom....an often a bad movie to watch.  What once was special, elegant experience is now a free for all.

Broadway is the same. It is ruined. I don't care if anyone agrees with me. It's a disaster.

To the person who felt like they had to

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You