News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for PeteGonBway

PeteGonBway Profile Photo
Member Name: PeteGonBway
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

“CLUE” National Tour? Amateur rights?
 Nov 18 2019, 12:02:22 PM

HamilHansen - last time we applied was this past spring, when we were selecting our 2019-2020 season. Where was your production??

It seems that they’re only allowing schools/colleges to do it, but it could be wrong.

Work Light has had it on their page for years now, with no updates

And yes, I see ads constantly on social media from Broadway Licensing for “Clue” saying “now available for licensing”... but whenever we inquire we see

“CLUE” National Tour? Amateur rights?
 Nov 14 2019, 03:55:53 PM
Anyone know if the National Tour of CLUE is still happening? It was announced a few years ago, but never seemed to come to be. My community theatre company has applied for the amateur rights numerous times over the past two years (from Broadway Licensing) and been denied because of the impending national tour... wed love to produce the show, but we keep getting the same answer.
RE:
 Aug 15 2016, 12:36:32 PM

I saw it last week. After spending a few days in P-Town, I figured I'd check this out, curious to see Hunter's interpretation. I got a last minute ticket, no problem - and was actually 2nd row, dead center (the perks of going to the theatre alone!)

Let me start by saying that I'm a big fan of the Mendes production. I think it was true to the era, and over all, a brilliant piece of theatre. Now, I didn't want to see a rip-off of that production, which, as someone mentioned, you do see a lot of in regional theatre. But I felt that this production was the polar opposite. Almost too squeaky clean... The Kit Kat Club looked more like the Mulon Rouge, the Kit Kat Girls donning sequins, feathers, fringe, diamonds and beautifully styled wigs, looking like Vegas show girls. I missed the grit. I missed that uncomfortable feeling that the Kit Kat Girls gave the audience in the Mendes production. These girls didn't have money, and the clubs were absolute dives...

While I will say that Stephanie Gibson was vocally amazing as Sally, I was not a fan of her/Hunter's interpretation of the role. I felt like I was watching a mix of Marilyn Monore and Audrey from "Little Shop". She was played as a caricature from beginning to end. Yes, Sally should have an over the top "life is a party, it'll all blow over, nothing bothers me" attitude. But this carried through the entire show, never exposing her vulnerable side, thus never humanizing her. It was hard for my heart to break for this Betty Boop-like Sally in the second act. (And also - the choreography and performance of Mein Herr, featuring Sally in a diamond necklace, being carried by the boy was odd reminiscent of Marilyn Monroe's "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend," don't you think?

Moving on -- I'll piggy back on what someone else said about Kim's Emcee. Gone was ANY sexuality from the character. Granted there were several chances for him to show off his rockin' body -- that character lacked any sort of essence. I've always believed that the Emcee was like a chameleon -- always there, observing - and drawing you in. Whatever you desired, whatever fantasies you had - he could provide, thus luring you into his world. "I Don't Care Much" is one of my favorite numbers in the show - and I've seen in done a dozen different ways, all of which were very effective. Kim's lacked any emotion, what so ever, and seemed to serve no purpose - we learned nothing from it. He simply stood on a upper level and sang. Kinda disappointing when it's such a fabulous song, full of so many actable moments.

I was very excited to see Jennifer Cody as Kost. Such a meaty role, when done correctly. They chose to split up the Kost/Fritzie doubling that's normally done - which made Cody's stage time much less than normal. Over all, she was a hoot, with hilarious timing. But I missed the German verse in "Married" (which they cut - more on that later), which when translated, is quite different than what Schultz has sung earlier, and gives us a glimpe into Kost's world... It gives her a point of view on love, marriage, and the future. It helps explain her almost desperate attempt to keep Ernst at the engagement party and it tells us that perhaps she needs love as much as money from her sailors. So, needless to say, I was sad to see that dropped.

I really enjoyed Schneider & Schultz (Toni DiBuono & Lenny Wolpe). I recognized Wolpe immediately from "The Drowsy Chaperone", and it was a treat to see DiBuono (I grew up listening to her on the Forbidden Broadway albums). They were cute. They did cut the German verse in "Married", and went back to the original way, having Schneider repeat the second verse. Again - cute and enjoyable. But, when it came time for "What Would You Do?" and Schneider's big monologue -- she delivered both as if she didn't really care, that she'd RATHER be alone renting the rooms. No tears, barely any emotion -- the character had not changed from her "So What" attitude, and like Sally, left her as an unhumanized caricature.

Bottom line -- the production as a whole was good. Great talent, beautiful sets & costumes, sexy choreography. And maybe if it was my first time seeing the stage version of "Cabaret", I'd have really enjoyed it. But I left there feeling like Foster wanted to make this production AS DIFFERENT from the Mendes revival as possible, so it didn't even resemble it, thus no one could say it was a carbon copy, etc. But I think this would have worked better had they used the original 1966 or the 1987 revival script/score, rather than the 1998 revival version (all 3 are available to license from Tams Witmark). So much of the 98 version calls for the gritty, dirty, sex & drugs, down & dirty feel, which this production didn't offer. I don't regret seeing it - cuz I'm glad I did. And I don't want to discourage anyone from seeing it - cuz it's not a bad production. I'm just a big critic when it comes to this show, having directed it twice myself and seen dozen of incarnations. Anyway, just my two cents.

Michelle Williams CABARET Different Costumes?
 Jun 10 2016, 02:18:20 PM

Anyone know why they changed her costume for "Mein Herr" from the usual lace corset? I also remember a few lines seemed to get "toned down" when he was doing the role (as opposed to when I saw it again with Emma Stone) -- for example, when Max is firing Sally, he says "It's a nee year, time for a new face"... the script (and Emma) says "A new tart, you mean!".... However, Michelle said something like "A new person to sleep with, you mean!".... thoughts??

Emcee ad-libs in "Cabaret"
 Jun 2 2016, 12:18:24 PM

Curious as to some of the ad-libs used by various Emcees (Alan Cumming and beyond) while introducing the Kit Kat Girls & Boys.... A few cute ones that I've heard:

- Frenchie is SO uptight! Oh, LOOSEN UP, Frenchie!
- Never turn your back on Lulu or she'll turn her back on you!
- Hans (who's playing a saxophone) I have never known anyone who blows as well as Hans! (spots someone in the audience) Except you’re here tonight, I take it back!
<

Jesse Tyler Ferguson Stage Door??
 Apr 9 2016, 03:51:00 PM

Anyone know if he's been signing at the stage door after "Fully Committed"? 

CABARET Fraulein Kost/Chanteuse Question
 Feb 18 2016, 10:14:16 PM

I've always been curious -- in the Mendes revival version of "Cabaret", is there any significance that Fraulein Kost (Fritzie) appears as the Chanteuse in "Married", moments after her confrontation with Fraulein Schnieder & Herr Schultz?? 

Cinderella mid-show understudy swap yesterday
 Aug 1 2014, 05:49:24 PM
Well, not having seen Linda's "crazy" Marie, I can only speak for their differences as the post-transformation Marie. Jill's was a bit more bubbly and charactery - while Linda's seemed more serious and motherly. It's clearl that Linda has a hardcore classically trained voice - very operatic. Jill's voice was lovely, but a more "musical theatre-y" (like Vctoria Clark's Marie) and less operatic, like Linda's. Having said this, I would now love to see Linda's act one and Jill's act two... Oh well!!
Cinderella mid-show understudy swap yesterday
 Aug 1 2014, 10:50:08 AM
Attended yesterdays matinee - upon walking in, the company board informed us that both Victoria Clark and Ann Harada were out - and MARIE was being played by Jill Abramovitz, and CHARLOTTE was was being played by Laura Irion. Both did very well - especially Jill. When intermission ended, an announcement was made saying that in Act Two, MARIE would be played by Linda Mugleston. Very interesting switch - as Jill's Marie was quite different than Linda's. Not sure what cause the mid-show swap, but i
re: Contacting Stephen Sondheim....
 Apr 29 2014, 09:37:20 AM
Does anyone have updated contact info for Mr. Sondheim? The Douglas & Kopelman Artists, Inc (393 West 49th Street) address got returned to me as undeliverable.
Forbidden Broadway Comes Out Swinging
 Apr 29 2014, 07:58:04 AM
Why did they replace Erica Dorfler? Anyone know?
 Apr 28 2014, 07:12:24 AM
That's really disappointing to hear, especially since the last edition - "Alive & Kicking" - was so strong and clever. And the cast was spot on with their impressions!!
 Apr 25 2014, 05:04:27 PM
Going in a few weeks... Has anyone seen it lately? How is it?
"Brighton Beach Memoirs" Cast Gift Idea?
 Feb 12 2014, 04:22:14 PM
I'm working on a production of "Brighton Beach Memoirs" which opens in a few weeks, and we're trying to come up with a cast gift idea -- preferably something to do with the show, or a little something that's referenced in the show... Any suggestions?? Thanks!
Studio 54 CABARET Seating?
 Dec 3 2013, 11:57:13 AM
Sorry, I wasnt sure how to post the PDF from the official website, so I found that other one -- didn't notice the discrepancies!! Here's the correct one!

So, would first or second row mezz be my best bet? Do you miss anything up there? Where does the mezz overhang the orch? None of the seating charts seem to tell...

Studio 54 CABARET Seating?
 Dec 2 2013, 11:13:57 AM
I've only been in Studio 54 once (for "Drood") and sat way up in the Rear Mezzanine. Never been in the Orchestra section - and I know it's a whole different set up for "Cabaret"

Does anyone remember from the last revival how the Orchestra Tables were? How is the view from the extreme side tables? For example, Table 165 or 166. Or would Front Mezz be better? Those are seats with drink tables. Any advice would be appreciated!

Carol Channing at Town Hall Discount Code?
 Nov 19 2013, 10:02:32 AM
Apparently there's a 30% off code out there - anyone know what it is??
Forbidden Broadway "Smash" Parody
 May 5 2013, 12:00:27 PM
Lyric question about the "Smash" parody on the new "Forbidden Broadway Alive & Kicking" recording... What does she say here...

"What once seemed so promising started to stink,
Now the critics don't think we're five star,
___________ has a teleplay saying
Let me be subpar"

Anyone know?

Grey Gardens - Bway vs. Off-Bway Ending??
 Oct 29 2012, 02:43:10 PM
Having only heard both cast recordings (Broadway & Off-Broadway) - the two recordings end quite differently. The Off-Broadway version ends with the more happy "Two Peas In A Pod" ending, while the Broadway version ends with the much darker, sad ending with the "Girl Who Has Everything (reprise)". I've read the published script, which has the Broadway ending -- How different was the scene/dialogue leading up to these endings? Why was it changed? Which did you prefer?
"The Heiress" Rush??
 Oct 26 2012, 06:08:28 PM
How has the rush been so far? How early would I need to get there for a Saturday matinee?
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You