News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Profile Photo
Member Name: Carlos Danger
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

James Goldman's book to Follies
 Aug 28 2017, 12:54:32 PM

"Follies" never resonated with me as a complete show. I loved the score and I've only seen two productions of it: "Follies in Concert" from 1985 and the recent Broadway revival with Bernadette Peters, Jan Maxwell, et al.

That being said, the show really resonated with me and stuck a cord (more like a raw nerve) when I officially hit middle age. Boy did it hit me!

It's not a pretty portrait but it happens to the best of us: ambition, lost oppor

Pal Joey '78 - Lena Horne
 Aug 28 2017, 12:39:13 PM

henrikegerman said: "Thanks for the update, Carlos.

On a not all that related note, kind of cool that June Havoc was the original Gladys, and that Melba's song, "Zip," is about an interview with Havoc's real life sister, Gypsy Rose Lee.  

In researching and re-acquainting myself with the show I came across that bit info and got a chuckle out of it. Very cool indeed.

Aug 28 2017, 10:56:23 AM

henrikegerman said: "You intrigued me so I googled.

What I found, however, is that Premice played not Gladys but Melba.  Melba ordinarily only has one song, "Zip."  So this makes me wonder if perhaps the buzz that Horne played Diva (was that her reputation? I never heard that) to cut Premice's songs might just be gossip.

Thanks for the correction re: Premice's role.

I found some info from th

Aug 28 2017, 10:15:00 AM

This one's for the grown-ups:

I just got wind of an updated all-black version of "Pal Joey" re-titled "Pal Joey '78" which starred Lena Horne as "Vera", Clifton Davis as "Joey" and Josephine Premice as "Melba".

From what I've read this production was a mess from start to finish. The show's original director Gower Champion quit - or was fired, depending on the source. Lena was in full scale "Diva" mode - having the show specifically tailored to her and having Premice's songs cut in fear that she would be upstaged. Clifton Davis was in full blown "coke" mode at this point in his career, a fact he has admitted to.

The show's book and dialogue were heavily "jived up" in an effort to give it some "soul" which in the end came out not only forced but inauthentic.

The musical arrangements by Motown veteran Gil Askey were also given a do-over.

It got mercilessly panned and never made it to New York.

Did anyone here get to see it? Was it as misguided as the accounts I have read have made it out to be?

If you could go back in time and see only one Broadway show, what would it be?
 Jun 15 2017, 02:17:50 PM

LOL. The title states If you could go back in time and see ONLY ONE SHOW and yet we get lists.

Anyhoo, here is the ONE SHOW I would want to see if I could go back in time:

PROMISES, PROMISES - Original Broadway Cast

New York criminalizes the use of ticket-buying bots
 Jun 23 2016, 11:46:46 AM

A Hamilton ticket scammer has just been convicted and was sentenced to 3 years in jail on Tuesday.

Anthony Huger was indicted in April for selling and attempting to sell forged tickets to the show.

He advertised the tickets on Craigs List.

He sold 3 forged tickets for $450 to a couple in Westchester.

A month later the wife of another victim suspected a pair of $300 tickets were forged and contacted authorities.

Working with the cops, the woman met with Huger to buy four more tickets, at which time he was busted with those fake tickets and two additional ones.

SOURCE

Leslie Odom Jr. involved in awkward political moment
 Apr 12 2016, 11:41:10 AM

The clutching of pearls and the ruffling of feathers is all for naught. Get a grip girls. 

Actor Ken Howard Dies at Age 71
 Mar 23 2016, 05:34:49 PM

Sad news. He was a favorite, especially in "1776". He co-starred with Gwyneth Paltrow frequently and her husband Bruce created "The White Shadow". Aside from "1776" he co-starred with Paltrow in the short lived ABC situation comedy, "Adam's Rib".

May he R.I.P.

Retro Playbills - Scott Rudin/What do you think?
 Mar 22 2016, 12:21:15 PM

I love that fan created Playbill for Fun Home....it's really nice! 

Lupita N'Yongo will not be doing any Wednesday evening performances starting 3/9
 Mar 4 2016, 06:51:13 PM

It's obviously something that just came up and concessions had to be made. What a bunch of drama queens.

Lupita N'Yongo will not be doing any Wednesday evening performances starting 3/9
 Mar 3 2016, 05:10:17 PM

I guess we really don't have a choice in the matter. I mean it is what it is. She needs Wednesday off for whatever the reason may be. It looks like this was not the original plan, she may have a sudden personal commitment she has to honor and that's why this announcement is just now being made.

Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope and a plea to Bruce Kimmel
 Mar 3 2016, 04:57:43 PM

Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope and a plea to Bruce Kimmel
 Mar 3 2016, 03:59:40 PM

The show premiered at The Playhouse Theater and then transferred to The Edison Theater where it remained until it closed. 

Idina doing national anthem on Super Bowl
 Feb 2 2015, 10:16:31 AM
All this drama over what...? Really? WTMFF.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You