News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SweeneyLovett

SweeneyLovett Profile Photo
Member Name: SweeneyLovett
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

STREISAND wants to make GYPSY  Feb 13 2015, 02:31:15 PM
I want a decent adaptation for once. The show deserves it. The Russell and Midler versions were both fairly mediocre mainly because their leading ladies were miscast, but also because they felt stagey and cheap. There are many ways to open up the piece and make it feel exciting, but no one seems to want to try.

I'll wait until I see a script. I'm not thrilled about Streisand in the role. She looks great for being in her 70's, but she's still in her 70's after all and I've never seen an

RE: Some People  Jan 1 2015, 07:27:27 PM
You're welcome. :)
RE: Some People  Jan 1 2015, 12:47:18 PM
I was the one who uploaded that clip of Linda. While she did it differently in the show itself, that version is really terrific. I think it's one of the best acted versions of the song. I love the way it builds instead of just starting out loud. If a new film version is ever made, I'd like to see them take that approach with the song.

Also, I believe the clip was from a Jule Styne special. It was on a tape my grandmother had.

Lindsay Lohan wants to play Sally Bowles in CABARET  Dec 23 2014, 03:09:45 PM
I'm on board. She might be pretty terrific.
Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread  Dec 18 2014, 03:06:08 PM
The instrumental of No More has been reducing me to tears every time I hear it. I don't respond to songs like that, so it's really something special.
What Broadway show would you have loved to see Judy Garland in?  Dec 14 2014, 11:57:42 AM
Gypsy all the way. After all, from what I understand, her mother basically was Rose and she'd have blown the roof off the place when she sang those songs.

Picturing her as Sally in Follies is also lovely. I can't even imagine how heartbreaking she'd have been in that role.

Rob Marshall to Bring FOLLIES to the Big Screen?  Dec 4 2014, 01:24:38 PM
I'm in love with the idea of Michelle Pfeiffer as Phyllis. It wouldn't tax her vocally too much and she'd act the hell out of it and look fantastic at the same time.
Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread  Nov 11 2014, 12:35:41 AM
Holy crap! I'm sold! Everyone seems perfect. They might have finally gotten one right. Christmas can't come soon enough.
Stage Musical To Movie Translations  Oct 24 2014, 11:47:58 PM
Gypsy has never fared that well, either. The 60's version made Herbie and Uncle Jocko the same person, added unnecessary narration, and films the big numbers with zero imagination. Act 2 gets a little better, but still feels incredibly stiff.

The Milder version at least kept act 1 tighter, but it suffers from a similar lack of imagination. And that's saying nothing of Midler's manic performance that would have been too over the top even in the last row of Radio City Music Hall.
<

Was the Lauren Ambrose funny girl revival gonna be a flop?  Oct 13 2014, 06:16:17 PM
I'd have loved to have seen Lauren in the role. She was a truly surprising choice, but that show...meh. The score is great, but the book needs a major overhaul if they're ever thinking of sticking it back on Broadway again.
Musicals That Should Be Made Into Movies  Oct 12 2014, 07:06:09 PM
Company and Follies. I have no idea how they'd work, but I want them. I'd also like a good version of Gypsy on film, please.
Raising/Lowering Keys  Oct 8 2014, 04:00:26 PM
I support it as long as it's not drastic i.e. Rosalind Russell/Lisa Kirk in Gypsy. That just sucked all the excitement out of the score.
Opinion on Anne Hatheway's performance in Les Miserable. Is it Iconic?  Oct 5 2014, 02:00:34 PM
She was the best part of the film. I agree with Princeton Returns. It was the first time I'd been truly moved by the song. Placing it after "Lovely Ladies" was a very wise move.
Donna Murphy in Into the Woods  Oct 5 2014, 12:47:57 PM
It, sadly, was just kinda there. It wasn't a complete disaster like the 2002 production [minus Laura Benanti of course], but it seemed like many cast members were miscast. Donna was pretty good, though, and I loved her exit during "Last Midnight." Very creepy.

I was surprised by how dull Amy Adams was. I love her on film, but she just didn't seem right for this part at all. She wasn't horrible, but, like the production as a whole, was just kinda...there.

In the Film Adaptation in Your Mind. . .  Oct 2 2014, 12:16:23 AM
I like you, g.d.e.l.g.i. I love the idea of combining the two "Some People"s into one. I'm surprised that no film version ever showed Rose acquiring the newsboys.

What was John Ellis' concept for "Rose's Turn" that you mentioned?

In the Film Adaptation in Your Mind. . .  Oct 1 2014, 04:47:45 PM
For Gypsy, I'd have "Some People" take place as Rose follows her father all over the house and finally rushing up the stairs just in time for "goodbye to blueberry pie..." and then she starts packing up stuff, getting the kids, and heading off in their car. I'd want her to belt the last note from the car window as she hauls ass down the road and the camera soars up into the sky.

I'd cut "Mr. Goldstone."

I'd make "You Gotta Get A Gimmick" a montage where Louise watches from the

Barbara Streisand  Sep 28 2014, 08:59:58 PM
I don't think we'll ever know just how old June and Louise really were at the time. I always wondered if Louise was actually underaged when Rose pushed her into stripping.
Barbara Streisand  Sep 28 2014, 08:11:42 PM
She was gonna do a Ballroom movie? That might be pretty great and age appropriate.

Still, I want a new Gypsy movie one way or another.

Barbara Streisand  Sep 28 2014, 07:42:00 PM
I wouldn't cry if Mr. Godlstone was cut. I don't even think Sondheim is a fan, 'cause, as he said, the punchline if the first line and the rest is just kinda...there.

I think "Little Lamb" is important for the Louise character, but I could see it being cut as well. If it stops the pace, cut it. After 2 relatively terrible film versions, maybe cutting a few bits will help.

And as for the tugboat suggestion, I actually see Rose belting the last note of "Some People" from the wi

How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!  Sep 28 2014, 04:21:54 PM
I'd give it chance. There have been so many productions of Annie that it really doesn't matter. Eventually, everyone will have a chance to play Hannigan. I'd like to see a drag Mrs. Lovett or Rose. Those seem like a given. Usually, the more wicked female roles could be fun in drag. I don't think anyone would suggest a drag Eliza Dolittle or Julie Jordan.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You