pixeltracker

"Some People": Patti, Bernadette, Angela, Tyne, Bette and More

"Some People": Patti, Bernadette, Angela, Tyne, Bette and More

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1"Some People": Patti, Bernadette, Angela, Tyne, Bette and More
Posted: 1/1/15 at 5:24am

What a lovely group of ladies (mostly) singing "Some People" from "Gypsy". (from TheatreMania.com) Happy New Years! from RC in Austin, Texas (4:24 a.m. CST)

Some People

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 1/1/15 at 05:24 AM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#2RE: Some People
Posted: 1/1/15 at 5:52am

I somehow thought this was going to be some crazy concert performance where Patti, Bernadette, Angela, Tyne and Bette would be singing Some People together. Which would have been ridiculous but you never know.
This one hurt my ears with all the key changes!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2RE: Some People
Posted: 1/1/15 at 6:06am

The ones who hurt my ears were Rosalind Russell....and also Family Guy.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#3RE: Some People
Posted: 1/1/15 at 6:28am

I'm now trying to imagine Angela at age 90 singing Some People...hahah

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#4RE: Some People
Posted: 1/1/15 at 9:02am

FABULOUS!!!...HAPPY NEW YEAR BROADWAYWORLD.COM'ers

Gothampc
#5RE: Some People
Posted: 1/1/15 at 9:32am

It was always a joke that Liza performed the song so fast that she was able to shave a minute off of the song.

I saw an interiew with Roz Russell where she said when she was filming the song, at the end she grabs her hat and a hatpin. At the very end, she jabs the hatpin into her hat. Roz said that she did it so hard that she jammed the pin into the side of her head, but couldn't react to the pain until the director yelled "Cut!"

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#6RE: Some People
Posted: 1/1/15 at 10:38am

That was great! Thank you.

Chowsie Profile Photo
Chowsie
#7RE: Some People
Posted: 1/1/15 at 10:51am

It's an odd arrangement. I'm not sure where it comes from, but it should be in the mix. I know her Rose was met with mixed reactions, but I actually appreciated much of her performance.

Linda Lavin Updated On: 1/1/15 at 10:51 AM

SweeneyLovett Profile Photo
SweeneyLovett
#8RE: Some People
Posted: 1/1/15 at 12:47pm

I was the one who uploaded that clip of Linda. While she did it differently in the show itself, that version is really terrific. I think it's one of the best acted versions of the song. I love the way it builds instead of just starting out loud. If a new film version is ever made, I'd like to see them take that approach with the song.

Also, I believe the clip was from a Jule Styne special. It was on a tape my grandmother had.

Chowsie Profile Photo
Chowsie
#9RE: Some People
Posted: 1/1/15 at 3:28pm

Thanks for the info and for uploading it on the first place.

SweeneyLovett Profile Photo
SweeneyLovett
#10RE: Some People
Posted: 1/1/15 at 7:27pm

You're welcome. :)