News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for elvisisking63

elvisisking63 Profile Photo
Member Name: elvisisking63
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
 Feb 24 2004, 11:23:01 AM
I think Newsies would make a great Bwy production, as long as the book is tightened and a couple of clincher songs are added. It could appeal to families wanting to see a show but who have outgrown Beauty & the Beast and The Lion King. Big River was a hit, and I speculate appealed to that demographic -- families with 10-14-yr-old kids.

But I think the clincher for whether it would be a smash success is if a breakout star could be discovered to carry the show. To get teen girls to want t

re: re: re: re: re: re: I saw Fiddler on the Roof last night....
 Feb 19 2004, 10:30:28 PM
Responding to whether material becomes dated or not (a few posts up)...
Yes, I'd tend to agree that a lot of material might not get dated, especially more pure Bwy entertainment like 42nd Street or Gypsy. But part of the phenomenon of Fiddler on the Roof when it first hit Broadway was that it was THE first example of Jewish culture really reaching mainstream acceptance. Hard to believe now, but coming out of the 1950s, anti-Semitism was still very much an active force in America, and Jews we

re: re: re: re: re: re: I saw Fiddler on the Roof last night....
 Feb 19 2004, 08:02:34 AM
First time posting a message here. I also saw a preview of Fiddler, on 2/11, and although I wanted to love this show, I too was disappointed. I think the whole show has been terribly miscast (Barrie's exit indicates others agree). Molina has some interesting takes, but in general he speeds through his lines, swallows the punchlines, and does not deliver ANY the big moments. Graff has a wonderful voice, but she is not right for Golde--in voice and acting, we get no justification for why Tevye i
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You