Newsies

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#0Newsies
Posted: 2/22/04 at 3:53am

I have heard lots of people say Newsies would be great on Broadway, but it is only being released for community theatre and high school type productions by MTI. My question is everybody says they think it'd be great, but how exactly do you see it working? I think the story would need fleshed out adding larger parts for certain characters and plot lines. There was even a petition online for a while trying to get it on Broadway. Does everyone here like Newsies or do we have anyone who doesn't like it? Why or why wouldn't Newsies be successful on broadway? Would Disney even consider doing it? (I have heard they are against it. Note:I don't remember where I heard that.) I would love to hear what everyone thinks, and actually dicuss the possibility. Please lets not have this become one of those "I would cast (insert favorite actor who wouldn't even be right for the part here)in that part!" threads. I want to discuss how likely it is that this would ever happen, and how it could be done. I would appreciate it if anyone is better informed on this than I and are at liberty to share what they know could "enlighten" us. While I personally doubt it ever will, I would love for it to happen so I am exploring the remote possibilities.

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Updated On: 2/22/04 at 03:53 AM

Broadwaylilhead Profile Photo
Broadwaylilhead
#1re: Newsies
Posted: 2/22/04 at 10:00am

I think most production companies are a little apprehensive to take on a show that involves a cast made up of mostly children... we really haven't had a show like that since Annie. It's a little easier to deal with union laws and guidelines regarding children performers when you only have one or two in your cast, but when the entire cast is mostly children-- it can be quite a headache.

I think Newsies would be an excellent stage musical; it's been years since I've seen the movie but reading this now makes me want to revisit it.

Call it a regime change...

Tesse Profile Photo
Tesse
#2re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/22/04 at 10:16am

As a child, I also enjoyed Newsies very much, but watching the movie now makes my teeth ache a little. The Alan Menken songs are good, but the story seems forced and cliched, especially since so much of it was fabricated (for example, there was no great victory for the Newsies- they reached a compromise that really didn't gain them much). If the creators went back to the source material and, using the existing songs and some new ones, recreated the show as a darker, deeper piece, I think it could be an excellent stage show.

Is the script available at the Drama Book Shop? I'd love to see how they adapted it for the stage, especially if it's only intended for schools.

"I hate musicals... People don't sing in real life."
"Well, maybe they should."
--Kiss of the Spider Woman (cut line)

Gothampc
#3re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/22/04 at 10:52am

Never say never. Eventually Broadway will run out of revivals and have to put something on the stage. Since the producers are not favoring the work of new artists, they will eventually turn to a show like Newsies. My bet is that it will come to Broadway after a London run.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ValentineGirl
#4re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/22/04 at 11:23am

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I've been reading for awhile and thought I would jump in finally since I love Newsies so much:)
I think it could be done. They wouldn't have to use children for the entire cast. They could use twentysomethings for the older boys and late teens that look young for the younger boys and then children for the rest.
I think Newsies would do great on Broadway, the songs from the movie are great and it's a cool story.

BroadwayBaby3 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby3
#5re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/22/04 at 12:10pm

I love Newsies. I'd give it a shot if it came to Broadway, but you're right about changing it a little.

Defy Gravity!!

Princess MimiChica Profile Photo
Princess MimiChica
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/22/04 at 12:27pm

ah, my favortie movie musical =)

Actually ,I don't feel the movie would need to be changed too much to work on Broadway. I'd like a few more songs added, but the music is already really fun. As far as cating kids, you don't really need a lot of boys under the age of 15 with the exception of Les. Christian Bale and most of the other guys were already close to 18/19 when he movie was made. Max Casella was 25!!! As far as thebook/script bring cliche, well, I can see why people thin kthat, but I still just think it's a cute, sweet, inspiring story and i'd hate to see it made more "dark" or "realistic". So, those are my two cents. Here's to hoping it opens on Broadway soon!! =D

lostwallflower Profile Photo
lostwallflower
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/22/04 at 12:52pm

I was in a production of Newsies about 2 years ago, and I doubt it would last on Broadway. I adore the musical, but I just don't think it's worth it to do a show with that many kids. They would just risk too much money on a movie that flopped (even though it falls into the cult classic catagory at times).

"I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber. Please don't take me to the pickle farm."- Brak

#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/22/04 at 11:24pm

I love the movie. When I watch it, I feel like it was intended for stage. They have common meeting areas that would be the same sets used again and again throughout the show. It could be darker but I dont think it needs to be. Christian Bale's character was supposed to be 17 I believe, he says it in the movie. All the people in Hairspray are supposed to be 16 and they're like 24-30. It could be done. Ive shown the movie to lots of people and never had someone say they didnt like it.

-Christina

#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/22/04 at 11:30pm

On another topic.... What about the TV Version of POLLY.
Remember that? With Keisha Knight Pullam and Phylisha Rashad (sp)from the COSBY SHOW. I thought that had some really good music and you could pull that off onstage easily. I wish I could find it somewhere on Video or DVD

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/23/04 at 12:45pm

I love Newsies too (duh) and saw a production many years ago put on by a performing arts high school. Disney had given them special permission to produce it. I thought it worked very well, and I definitely saw possibilities of bigger productions. But, you're right about the problem of the young cast. I remember that they changed even some of the tame lyrics (like in Ann Margret song - instead of "I stick out my chest", they sang "I look my best")

Jon,
Did you know that Polly featured Menken music also? Or was that just a coincidence?

lostwallflower
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/23/04 at 2:53pm

We never had a problem with content, but the cast can't be all 18+ people. Characters like Les, Snipeshooter and a whole bunch more have to be played by kids. Part of the story line is that the Newsies were just kids, so they do have to have an array of ages.

"I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber. Please don't take me to the pickle farm."- Brak

#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/23/04 at 3:25pm

Well sure, Les is "near ten" but my point atleast was that most of the bigger roles amongst the newsies are kids 16/17 and on broadway those kinds of roles are easily played by 20something yr olds.

-Christina

nycgirl
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/23/04 at 3:49pm

i think that newsies would be great on bway. I mean whoever is selling it to high school productions is crazy, i mean how many guys join drama club? I think that it would be much more profitable on bway.

Glinda:its good to see me isint it?.....no need to respond, that was retorical!

citylights
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/23/04 at 7:54pm

A little OT but oh well.

My drama teacher got very excited when she heard about this and she put our school's name down to be a "test school" for the show. What would this entail? Anyone know?

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/24/04 at 10:28am

It would mean Disney and MTI would be watching your every move!! BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

elvisisking63 Profile Photo
elvisisking63
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/24/04 at 11:23am

I think Newsies would make a great Bwy production, as long as the book is tightened and a couple of clincher songs are added. It could appeal to families wanting to see a show but who have outgrown Beauty & the Beast and The Lion King. Big River was a hit, and I speculate appealed to that demographic -- families with 10-14-yr-old kids.

But I think the clincher for whether it would be a smash success is if a breakout star could be discovered to carry the show. To get teen girls to want to see such a show, I think there needs to be a magnetic teenage boy who carries the show. I think that because it's history-based and gritty (like Oliver and Les Mis), young teen boys will be interested in the subject, but I don't think the subject alone will appeal to girls unless there is a male lead who is a "must see" attraction.

As for the problems of a young cast, I imagine they are many. But the half-dozen boys in the current Gypsy seem to be fantastically talented and professional.

WestEndBird Profile Photo
WestEndBird
#17 re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/26/04 at 9:18pm

Christian Bale was SOOOO hot in Newsies and I loved all of the music from it I would DIE to see a production take place...that would be something to see!

"Even if I could let you see me cry you would never understand what I was feeling inside, you see it and use it but dont believe in it..."

johny0828 Profile Photo
johny0828
#18re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/26/04 at 10:51pm

i love that movie, i think it would be and ok musical on bway. i think if they slap the word "disney" infront of it, it might work. some people are saps for disney.

WestEndBird Profile Photo
WestEndBird
#19re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/27/04 at 10:00am

Possibly a new Macintosh????

"Even if I could let you see me cry you would never understand what I was feeling inside, you see it and use it but dont believe in it..."

DivaMommy
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/27/04 at 4:41pm

I think you underestimate teenage girls. "A show with all boys! Oh my gosh, we are SO there!" Most of the Newsies fanatics I've ever met were teenage girls.

I think this would be a great stage show!

...and your children start to leave you from the moment they are born.

citylights
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/27/04 at 5:26pm

I think the show would appeal more to teenage girls than boys. It IS a predominantly male cast, most of whom dance and sing! I know the online fan base for Newsies is almost completely teenage girls too. The show would probably have to add a gimmick to get the boys to come, rather than the girls.

Just my .02

lostwallflower
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Newsies
Posted: 2/27/04 at 5:34pm

Elvis is completely right.

Videos