News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for benrimalower

Member Name: benrimalower
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Tennessee Williams on Patti LuPone
 Nov 5 2012, 05:45:00 PM
Thanks, theaterkid1015! I thought I included the link...
Tennessee Williams on Patti LuPone
 Nov 5 2012, 05:09:26 PM
Wow.

"I saw a production of The Robber Bridegroom, and Patti LuPone was--and is, I would imagine--everything I wanted.

Shattered from some particularly volatile and beautiful Italian marble, she was bold and barely controlled, but in the best way. All burners on. Genius, I have always believed, is terribly impatient, because it understands that its outlets are ephemeral. When an artist is working with a full commitment toward expression, nothing should be allowed to stand in it

Judy Kuhn Love Thread
 Apr 25 2012, 03:06:30 PM
Love, love, love her.

I made this video about it for Jeffery Self's web series:

Mandy Patinkin: No
 Nov 21 2011, 12:51:33 PM
Reginald, you're right. I didn't mean this season, although I would like to hear Patti make good on her claim (to be able to sing Evita better now than before) in the nearish future...

LOL I don't think anyone would DREAM of shutting out Bob Gunton!

Some falsettos questions
 Aug 9 2011, 08:59:46 AM
1.) It isn't like he said. You prob'ly hurt his pride. He's got to have it all, like a baby who's denied.

2.) I didn't see Mandy or Randy, but judging from bootlegs, Mandy was warm and stellar, if not as iconic and authentic as Michael Rupert had been. Randy was really wonderful and funny in a different way than Barbara Walsh, and impressively belty.

The Barbara Cook Appreciation Thread
 Apr 6 2010, 07:23:47 PM
I broke down the Barbara love a bit in my new blog:

http://www.akawilliam.com/the-new-new-old-gay-broadway-breezy-bright-and-gay/

"Regular people" love [title of show] - this concern that it's too insider is only held by self-hating theatre nerds.
 Jul 18 2008, 08:50:11 AM
That's right, theatre nerds - as opposed to theatre queens. A queen wears her crown with pride.

Very few people get ALL the references. Most people would consider my obscure musical theatre knowledge to be expansive, perhaps to a fault, and yet I miss several of the references. I've read NOT SINCE CARRIE twice, but some of those Broadway flop titles mentioned in [title of show] weren't even familiar to me.

The insider fun is NOT why I respond to the show.

This is a story of real characters going through a real struggle of passion. That's what theatre is about - you don't have to be an immigrant gang member to "get" WEST SIDE STORY or an East German ex-pat botched trannie song stylist to be moved by HEWDIG.

I think that many, maybe most, of us theatre enthusiasts have felt marginalized in this day and age when theatre often feels, and can be, culturally insignificant, or at least irrelevant to pop culture. Maybe we've been made fun of for our passion for the obscure. Don't forget, in the real world, even Patti LuPone and Bernadette Peters are relatively random.

We see this show and, as we are delighted by all the references we get, we fear, "am I laughing too loud?" "Will this play in Peoria?" "Can something that speaks so specifically to my individual tastes be real art?"

This is like self-hating homophobia or self-inflicted anti-Semitism.

Die, Vampire, Die!

Check out the broadway.com “Word of Mouth” review, it echoes the reaction of the non-theatre people I’ve sent to the production:

http://www.broadway.com/gen/general.aspx?ci=568705

I predict a long and healthy run for this exciting piece of theatre and I think it will be healing for all us.

re: Bernadette Peters ACT II Wig in 'Into the Woods'??
 Jan 2 2008, 10:26:02 AM
"Call me a boob. Call me a schlemiel. Call me a brain with a missing wheel."

I thought that was her real hair.

FREE Natalie Joy Johnson concert Tuesday 10/23 at 11pm
 Oct 22 2007, 11:44:00 AM
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to make sure you all know about this show, I think it's not to be missed...

NATALIE JOY JOHNSON
AT VLADA

MUSICAL DIRECTION BY BRIAN NASH
DIRECTED BY BEN RIMALOWER

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 23rd, 2007 at 11:00 PM
no cover/no minimum

Natalie Joy Johnson, audience favorite in Legally Blonde and Bare: A Pop Opera, debuts an exciting new club act at Vlada after sold out engagements of previous shows at Joe’s Pub, the Cutting Room,

Kicking the playbill is within the world of the play
 Jul 20 2007, 11:31:18 AM
GYPSY operates on a convention of the show being performed on a stage (the constant references to the conductor in the "pit" for example).
The device of the characters changing the title cards takes this even further. If Rose is changing a title card, then she is, quite literally, on a stage. Just as an actor sneezing or dropping a prop is a real event which should be incorporated into the action onstage, so too should a stray playbill.
How very perfectly "Madame Rose" to kick the thing

NY Times RAVE for Kritzer's LuPone at Les Mouches
 Dec 8 2006, 01:26:07 AM
“Patti LuPone lives! Oops, yes, of course Patti LuPone lives. We all just saw her and loved her in ‘Sweeney Todd.’ What I mean is that the Patti LuPone of 1980 lives again, at Joe’s Pub, in the enterprising person of Leslie Kritzer, above, a would-be, should-be Broadway diva paying homage to one of the last of the greats in a strange but wonderful new club act. Back when Ms. LuPone was flinging her arms skyward nightly as the title character in ‘Evita,’ she kept loose by performing on Saturday n
re: Babs latest dance track is a smash!! check it out!!
 Oct 23 2006, 11:57:44 AM
Lucian is brilliant - I LOVE this!!!!!!
re: Leslie Kritzer
 Sep 2 2006, 01:13:53 PM
She is doing a Joe's Pub show very soon, announcement coming this week. Be excited.

re: PATTI AT RAVINIA - please post reviews here
 Aug 14 2006, 10:02:25 PM
In GYPSY, Patti LuPone proves yet again that she is a fabulously dynamic singer with more than a little touch of star quality whose legitimate acting chops far exceed those of most performers in musical theatre. She hasn’t been this perfectly cast since EVITA and is now the definitive Rose. Consequently, GYPSY this weekend was not only nirvana for LuPone fanatics (of which I am proudly one), but, more significantly, a Major Event for all but the staunchest of detractors.

It’s

Natalie Joy Johnson THIS SATURDAY at Ars Nova
 Jul 17 2006, 01:38:23 PM
Seriously, come see Natalie Joy Johnson with Our Lady J And The Pink Champagne Orchestra Featuring The Bubblies at Ars Nova, this Saturday, July 22nd at 8pm and/or Monday, July 31st at 8pm.

Tickets are only $15 with NO MINIIMUM so it’s really a bargain. If you haven’t seen Natalie in concert yet, please don’t put it off (and if you’ve been before, now’s a great time to come back with about half new material and some great surprises…) Natalie is ready to cross over to a wider audience an

John Hill is alive and well and living in Hell's Kitchen
 Jun 3 2006, 03:37:33 PM
Glad to hear we're pleasing John's fans.

I know we're really close to selling out for this Monday's final peformance of SKINNY CORPSE at the Duplex.

If you call and are told there's nothing, take heart - we'll most likely being announcing a new set of dates in the next few days.

Scott Nevins & Natalie Joy Johnson tomorrow night!
 May 21 2006, 11:12:48 AM
Scott Nevins & Natalie Joy REPLACE
(Postponed for MTV)
John Hill's SKINNY CORPSE, May 22nd show

“John Hill's got an outrageous and sidesplitting sense of humor!” - Wayman Wong, “The Leading Men” at Playbill.com

Apparently, John Hill was not only a hit with audience and critics at last Monday’s opening of SKINNY CORPSE, but now MTV has stepped up to the plate, giving the official go ahead to shoot the pilot he’s creating John has had to fly to Virginia for the next

re: Patti LuPone was in Les Mis?? (Lady With The Tuba)
 Apr 26 2006, 07:38:20 AM
"Who's Barbara Cook? Who's anyone?"

Still Tickets for Natalie's show, this Wednesday
 Mar 13 2006, 12:46:38 PM
“It truly felt like watching a young Bette Midler, just on the verge of exploding.” – HX Magazine

“Natalie Joy Johnson is a knockout who sings with a purity of spirit.” – New York Times

Thanks to everyone who turned out for Natalie Joy Johnson’s Joe’s Pub show last month. It was a really exciting night and we’re thrilled to be booked at The Cutting Room for Wednesday, March 15th at 9:30pm, 19 West 24th Street.

Tickets and more information are available at www.nataliej

Natalie Joy Johnson at Joe's Pub Feb 1st
 Jan 11 2006, 01:54:38 AM
Hey Guys,

I could not be more excited to tell you about Natalie Joy Johnson’s solo debut which I am directing for a premiere at Joe’s Pub, Wednesday, February 1st at 7:30 pm.

If you caught her breakout performance in BARE, then you know that, when Natalie sings a song, it stay sung. It has been thrilling for my producing partner, Marissa Kamin, and I to collaborate with Natalie and our genius musical director, Jonah Speidel, on a program which includes Natalie tearing up everything from Jill Scott, Michael Jackson and Missy Elliott to Jerry Herman, Harold Arlen and “A Quiet Night At Home” (the song Natalie made legend in BARE.) plus brilliant original material by Jonah, all accompanied by an eclectic 7 piece orchestra (“Our Lady Jonah and Pink Champagne”) and 3 sassy back-up singers (“The Bubblies.”) It is going to be a monumental night and I hope you can make it.

Tickets are $25 (plus a two drink or $12 minimum) and are going fast so I encourage you to buy now either by calling Telecharge at 212.239.6200 or visiting:

http://www.telecharge.com/go.aspx?MD=102&PID=3746&AID=VEN000080300

More information is available at www.nataliejoyjohnson.com

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/97070.html
https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=6739

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JANUARY 10, 2006

“Natalie Joy Johnson is a knockout who sings with a purity of spirit.”
-- The New York Times

MARISSA KAMIN PRESENTS
NATALIE JOY JOHNSON
IN HER SOLO CABARET DEBUT

AT JOE’S PUB

WITH OUR LADY JONAH AND
THE PINK CHAMPAGNE ORCHESTRA
FEATURING THE BUBBLIES

MUSICAL DIRECTION BY JONAH SPEIDEL
DIRECTED BY BEN RIMALOWER

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 1

7:30 PM

Natalie Joy Johnson, the star of the cult musical Bare: A Pop Opera, will be making her anticipated solo cabaret debut at Joe’s Pub (425 Lafayette Street) on Wednesday, February 1 (7:30 PM).

Equally at home in the worlds of pop, rock, rhythm and blues, country, and musical theatre, Johnson will explore her music vocabulary in this exciting evening with musical director Jonah Speidel and the eclectic Pink Champagne Orchestra featuring the Bubblies in a program directed by Ben Rimalower (Joy). The evening is produced by Marissa Kamin.

Johnson will cover such diverse artists as Missy Elliott, Reba McEntire, Michael Jackson, Van Morrison, Harold Arlen, and Jill Scott. Johnson will also sing original music by musical director Jonah Speidel and from Bare “A Quiet Night at Home” by Damon Intrabartolo and Jon Hartmere Jr.

NATALIE JOY JOHNSON was hailed as "a knockout" by The New York Times for her breakout Off-Broadway debut as Nadia in Bare: A Pop Opera. Other recent roles include the NY Musical Theatre Festival's hit production of But I’m A Cheerleader (Sinead), Move It and It’s Yours (Eloise/Caresse), Joy (Kegan), Slut (Mrs. Winterbottom), and the 2001 National Touring production of Godspell (cast recording available on DRG Records). Earlier this year, Natalie collaborated with Adam Fleming and Jonah Speidel on their Feinstein's at the Regency debut - "Postponed Indefinitely." Natalie has been a featured soloist in various concerts and benefits around Manhattan, including such venues as Joe's Pub, Birdland, the Palace Theatre, the New Amsterdam Theatre and the Iridium Jazz Club.

Tickets are $25 with a two-drink or meal minimum and are now available at www.JoesPub.com or by calling Telecharge at 212.239.6200 or go to www.telecharge.com for most Joe's Pub events. You may also buy tickets in person at The Public Theater box office at 425 Lafayette Street from 1 - 6pm on Sundays & Mondays and 1 - 7:30pm from Tuesdays- Saturdays. For table reservations, call 212-539-8778. Please note that seating, as well as standing-room, is available only on a first-come, first-served basis for all shows without a dinner reservation.

Joe’s Pub is located at 425 Lafayette Street (between East 4th and Astor Place).

# # # #

www.NatalieJoyJohnson.com

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You