News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for don logan

don logan Profile Photo
Member Name: don logan
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: support live music

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

GIGI Reviews  Apr 21 2015, 12:48:15 PM

It's definitely the best musical about child prostitution I've ever seen.

American Idiot invited dress thoughts  Mar 24 2010, 12:34:50 AM
Yeah I should probably rephrase that thing about theater snobs:

I can see some theater snobs hating it.

American Idiot invited dress thoughts  Mar 24 2010, 12:14:36 AM
So I just got back from the American Idiot invited dress, and keep in mind that I know very little about theater.

The best part of the show is the music. Billy Joe Armstrong is a super talented pop songwriter, a genius at writing hooks. I'm not a fan of modern musicals because I just don't enjoy the songwriting that happens on Broadway. (or lack therof). The set is also very cool, as is the choreography (which is more movement than dancing).

The band sounds great, most of

Blazing Saddles The Musical  Mar 18 2010, 11:58:25 AM
They'll change the ending to the cast running into a broadway show instead of a movie theater
re: Next To Normal jipped  Jun 7 2009, 11:11:29 PM
Glad N2N won best actress, score, and orchestration. Knew BE would get best musical, I mean come on, which show would do better on tour?
re: Why Next to Normal is my favorite musical that I have seen.  Jun 5 2009, 04:20:49 PM
Actually I don't like Rudy's as much as I loved that they put a face mask on their pig for swine flu protection.

Only Sondheim I've seen is a PBS broadcast of Sunday in the Park with Mandy Potamkin and Bernadette P. It was a long time ago and at that time my favorite music was Mettalica, so I wasn't really into it.

re: Why Next to Normal is my favorite musical that I have seen.  Jun 5 2009, 10:53:29 AM
Oops....says musician in my profile. Duh. Ah, oh well.
re: Entertainment Weekly's Tony Predix...  Jun 5 2009, 12:59:09 AM
N2N will win best score, and Alice will best best actress. They should win best orchestration because they have a small band (6 pieces) and it sounds huge. They should also win best book but I doubt they will.
Why Next to Normal is my favorite musical that I have seen.  Jun 5 2009, 12:03:14 AM
So first off let me say that I haven't seen nearly as many Broadway musicals as most of you here ; probably about ten or eleven. I have however worked on Broadway for the last five years ( I won't say exactly what I do) : I've subbed on 5 Broadway shows, worked at one full time for 2 years and done 5 off Broadway shows.

I absolutely loved Next to Normal. I loved that it was a bold original work that is difficult and does not pander to the audience. I loved that it tread in VERY difficul

re: Times article about the great shows of this past season; Brantley calls  May 17 2009, 01:28:50 PM
I agree that N2N should win but also agree that a show touring well is a big part of a show getting the Tony. To say that BE will tour better than N2N is a huge understatement
re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal  May 14 2009, 10:58:38 AM
I just was amazed at some of the vitriol against Blonde. Most of the criticism seemed to be that B'way has gotten so shallow. Lot's of talk about being sick of movie musicals, and along come N2N which is a dark original work, so I'm curious if the theater snobs are grateful for that or are just as critical of it.
re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal  May 14 2009, 10:53:18 AM
They aren't similar that is my point. I assume if they hate a show like Blonde or 9 to 5 then they would love N2N for being artistic, deep and challenging.
Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal?  May 14 2009, 10:50:04 AM
Just curious. It seems like they should.
re: Stew Bashes Musical Theatre  Sep 8 2008, 11:55:31 AM
I agree with Stew. Music is not the most important thing in Broadway today, not by a long shot. How many musicals would people see if they were sung in German or Italian? Why is the sound of the orchestra always so muted on Broadway? How come there is no discussion of conductors or musicians on this board? It's all about the lyrics on Broadway, and in opera it's much more about the music.
re: Matt C. & Leslie K  Aug 5 2008, 01:02:34 AM
"Well, i for one, would hope she'd step up to a larger, more featured role. She's not a stunning beauty, but certainly has the chops ( both singing and acting) to hold her own in more substantial roles. I'm not knocking her looks by any means. I find her very interesting to watch, and she has terrific stage presence. It's actresses like her that sometimes make a typical ingenue role all the more substantial and engaging to enjoy."

God. I hope someday someone posts something about you w

re: The Search for Elle Woods: The Spoiler thread  Jul 23 2008, 10:38:23 AM
IF you like Good Boy better than Ireland, blame the producers. They are the ones who nixed Good Boy for Ireland.
re: R.I.P. George Carlin  Jun 23 2008, 05:07:58 PM
Goodbye to a true patriot.
re: The Search for Elle THOUGHTS!  Jun 5 2008, 10:52:49 AM
My thoughts are that all of you who are outraged and spewing bile are deep down really jealous and enraged that you are not getting the attention and exposure that these actresses are getting on this show.
Virtual R&H  May 8 2008, 03:45:17 PM
Ourtime: get a reduced score for a smaller orchestra, and do it with the smaller orchestra. You don't need 25 peaces for a high school production, and you also don't need to deprive the actors of the chance to learn to sing with a live band, or deprive the young musicians a chance to learn to play in the pit.
Virtual R&H  May 8 2008, 03:42:21 PM
Thank you cello dude. Amen

As for student productions, they should learn to play with live musicians. That is part of the learning process. Most Broadway singers today have terrible time because they came up performing with just a piano player, and when they sing with an orchestra for the first time, they are all out of tempo and all over the place.

The fact is that the music is the LEAST appreciated part of musical theater, and the fans will only get upset when we get to the p

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You