pixeltracker

Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal?

Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal?

don logan Profile Photo
don logan
#1Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal?
Posted: 5/14/09 at 10:50am

Just curious. It seems like they should.

"Never before has an American president been so closely tied to a foreign power that harbors and supports our country's mortal enemies."

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#2re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal?
Posted: 5/14/09 at 10:50am

not necessarily true. adamgreer loves both shows.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 10:51am

Please tell me in what way they're even remotely similar.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

don logan Profile Photo
don logan
#3re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 10:53am

They aren't similar that is my point. I assume if they hate a show like Blonde or 9 to 5 then they would love N2N for being artistic, deep and challenging.

"Never before has an American president been so closely tied to a foreign power that harbors and supports our country's mortal enemies."

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#4re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 10:54am

I don't really understand how the two are related.

I love Next to Normal.

I enjoyed myself at Legally Blonde.

Obviously they're two very different kinds of shows... but I enjoy serious fare and occasional fluff. Variety is the spice of life.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#4re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 10:54am

You're trying to qualify opinions as fact.

People like what they like. what difference does it make?

....but the world goes 'round

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#6re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 10:56am

Oh, sorry. I thought you were saying they're similar, so why are "theater snobs" who hate Legally Blonde all over Next to Normal?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

don logan Profile Photo
don logan
#7re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 10:58am

I just was amazed at some of the vitriol against Blonde. Most of the criticism seemed to be that B'way has gotten so shallow. Lot's of talk about being sick of movie musicals, and along come N2N which is a dark original work, so I'm curious if the theater snobs are grateful for that or are just as critical of it.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#8re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 11:03am

Well, I suppose this thread is intended to be yet another pre-school taunt to incite a useless debate about individual tastes, so I'll leave you to it.

For the record I like both very much.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#9re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 11:10am

I love Next to Normal. I had a great time and enjoyed myself immensely each time I saw Legally Blonde. I'm not exactly sure what the point is.

#10re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 11:14am

I think the REAL question is, Do those of us who HATED TOS fanatics like N2N freaks any better?

sgv123
tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#12re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 11:27am

I think enthusiasm for a show is a great thing.

Saying everyone who disagrees with you is "wrong" is more or less what happens on here though.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#13re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 11:28am

I love N2N and LB

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#14re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 11:32am

While I have still yet to see Next to Normal, I like what I have heard/seen so far. And I also happened to enjoy Legally Blonde. I don't really see what this means, but I think tastes are a personal matter. It's not as if all snobs like only one type of show and I am sure it's not as black-and-white on the other end of the spectrum. What I really don't understand, however, is the amount of hate people had over Legally Blonde. I can understand disliking it or it not being some people's cup of tea, but people seemed to equate it with Broadway lowering itself. While I do think the MTV airing and MTV reality show kind of helped with this perception, I just can't swallow the whole movie-to-stage is bad for Broadway pill.

Look, I enjoy an original musical just as much as everyone else. I really do. I loved the crap out of [title of show], In the Heights, Drowsy, Parade, Urinetown, etc. and although I thought it was flawed I thoroughly enjoyed Happiness (which I think is actually one of the most original musicals in spite of its plot device). That being said, adaptation is adaptation. What makes something like South Pacific, which was based off a book, so much better than something like Legally Blonde? I mean both star an adorable blonde girl finding her way and showing us all that being true to yourself never goes out of styl...oh wait...no, that..that doesn't work.

But really the difference is in the execution. You can either have shows that are adapted brilliantly like Billy Elliot or you can have Shrek. I just think the idea that Legally Blonde and other shows like it are bad for Broadway simply BECAUSE they are in the movie-to-stage or "unoriginal"category is silly. The same category produced West Side Story, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Rent, Les Misérables, Carousel, Phantom, Gypsy, and countless other shows that were still considered pretty original when they came out.

#15re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 11:36am

Taz, I suppose that is true for some people. But, as my close personal friend Steve once said "Some people ain't me."

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#16re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 11:38am

I love both shows for what they are. I need a good, cheesy smile? I listen to or watch LEGALLY BLONDE. I need to cry? I see N2N. Sure, you can be in favor of heavier, more challenging works like N2N and hate BLONDE and vice versa, but it all comes down to personal taste. It's not a universal thing that you can only like one and not the other. This board is a very SMALL group of theatregoers, so any "vitriol" noticed towards BLONDE is not necessarily the consensus.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#17re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 12:11pm

I haven't seen Legally Blonde live, but I liked the MTV broadcast. I loved 9 to 5. I'm currently obsessed with Next to Normal. It's possible. re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal

SporkGoddess
#18re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 12:26pm

I think it depends on how you feel about "rock musicals."

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#19re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 1:55pm

I hate both, for reasons that have nothing to do with the style of the show. What generalizations would you like to make about people like me?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#20re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 1:58pm

I didn't particularly care for both either.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#21re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 6:23pm

I love both, just for different reasons.

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#22re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 8:06pm

mormon -

I think the difference with the shows you named (phantom, les mis, etc...) and the movie-to-musical shows (9-5, legally blonde, shrek, etc) is that the ones you named were created to cash in on the fact that they are considered 'classics'. They weren't trying to necessarily cash in on the fact that they were a major hollywood blockbuster movie.

At least that's how i see it.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#23re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 8:12pm

I liked LB....thought it was pure fluff...but really well done and I really had fun.

I loved N2N, for being everything that LB is not.

So.....another one to shoot a hole in your theory.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#24re: Do theater snobs who hate shows like Legally Blonde love Next to Normal
Posted: 5/14/09 at 8:19pm

I absolutely loved Legally Blonde! Saw it 5 times...
I loved 9 to 5....
I loved next to normal...

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

Videos