News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BrookArtsCenter

BrookArtsCenter Profile Photo
Member Name: BrookArtsCenter
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: The Beat Stops......We'll miss you Hairspray.
 Jan 2 2009, 01:44:07 AM
I am just sorry that we never got a chance to see Marc Shaiman as Edna
re: Catch Me If You Can
 Jun 22 2008, 12:50:47 PM
I'm sure on your side of the fence, Mr. S., are many people telling you to keep the news to yourself....

And on this side of the fence, are many people excited about any kernels of info...

We all hope that soon, means very, very soon...

re: Next Mama Rose?
 Jun 8 2008, 01:54:12 PM
Yet another in a long list of votes for Mary Testa -- someone I had the pleasure of sharing a stage with in my youth. And, she is as giving onstage as she is talented.

If Bway audiences underestimate her marquee value, then perhaps she could headline a regional production at a first rate theatre, like Goodspeed, in the hopes of taking it to NYC.

At any rate, she would be amazing.

re: What is Cubby gonna do when Xanadu Loses for Best Musical?
 Jun 1 2008, 11:50:42 AM
The day after the Tony's, Cubby begins his campaign for MAMMA MIA's Oscar bid.
re: Osage County will be adapted to the screen
 May 22 2008, 12:05:40 PM
The producers had the cajones to take the risk of bringing the show to Broadway without TV/Movie stars. And, that paid off big time for them. Well, I'd like to see that continue with the movie. I'll bet Tracy Letts' father, Dennis would have wanted it that way.

My vote is to bring the original cast to the screen. If Anna Shapiro isn't the right director for movies, then maybe Jason Reitman (JUNO, THANK YOU FOR SMOKING).

re: Eleven O'clock numbers
 Mar 10 2008, 07:27:52 PM
A couple of my 11 o'clock favs:

Razzle Dazzle -- Chicago
Suddenly Seymour -- Lil Shop

Dennis Letts of AOC passes
 Feb 24 2008, 01:27:22 AM
Dennis Letts, who played the character of Beverly in AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY and was the father of playwright Tracy Letts, died of Cancer on Friday. How very sad for the entire cast, and especially Tracy and his family.

Eliot may have got it wrong. "Life is very long." Unfortunately, not for this fine actor.

http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=7916619

re: Which actress do you think will play a great Rose ?
 Feb 22 2008, 09:37:05 AM
Mary Testa, definitely. She's got the pipes and she can act the Hell out of it.

I was lucky enough to play opposite her a million years ago and it would be a dream of mine to play her Herbie. But, of course, I have a better chance of winning the lottery...

re: Papermill Playhouse: How is it doing?
 Feb 16 2008, 02:37:22 PM
Actually, they've been nonprofit as long as I can remember. And they do plays during the cold days of Jan/Feb, because it is difficult to get a crowd to come to even musicals during this time (even on Bway). A non-musical play may bring in less audience, but it is cheaper to produce -- no orchestra, cheaper rights, smaller cast, etc. So, they can probably make their money back with 400, rather than 1300.
re: Papermill Playhouse: How is it doing?
 Feb 15 2008, 10:35:26 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting the new Executive Director, Mark Jones, this week. He was largely responsible for helping Shakespeare and Co., Glimmerglass Opera and Limon on track financially.

In the 90 days he's been at Paper Mill, he's been concentrating on firing up the board and staff to meet its responsibilities, create an endowment, cutting expenses and putting together a business plan. The plan is to get the town of Millburn to buy the land and building and lease it back to the

re: August: Osage County question
 Dec 29 2007, 08:39:49 PM
Actually the link brings you to a pre-order page. The date of publication has not yet been announced.

I look forward to it, too. And, yes, the 3hrs and 20min goes by very quickly -- both times I've seen the show.

re: August: Osage County -- A Soap Opera?
 Dec 15 2007, 03:49:46 PM
Could it be that the title "August" is a wry wink at the other definition per Merriam-Webster:

marked by majestic dignity or grandeur

Interestingly enough, the google ad on the Merriam-Webster page was for August:Osage County.

re: My thoughts on AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY
 Dec 9 2007, 08:04:28 PM
DPS carries BUG and MAN FROM NEBRASKA. Makes sense that they would publish Letts' AUGUST as well.
re: My thoughts on AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY
 Dec 9 2007, 11:24:35 AM
I spoke with Drama Book Shop who told me that Dramtists hasn't yet listed a date for release. I, too, am anxious to read it and if anyone has any further info, please share.

I have seen AUGUST once. Did I like it? Well, I have two friends who want to see it Wed Dec 19th -- one at the matinee and one at the evening. So, I may go twice that day. It's that good.

re: August: Osage County WHOA!
 Dec 2 2007, 06:37:49 PM
A friend went last night (Sat) and he said that all except the last few rows of the rear mezz were filled. Of course, there has been a rush of business this weekend following the strike.

But, wouldn't it be excellent if a non-musical show could fill a house this size, the house of Les Miz?

Hey, I can dream...

re: August: Osage County WHOA!
 Dec 2 2007, 11:20:42 AM
I may be wrong (and too often am) but according to someone connected with AUGUST, Brantley will be reviewing it.

I saw this wonderful show yesterday afternoon (Sat). I certainly hope that the running time doesn't prevent people from attending. It doesn't feel like a long drawn out epic. It is a funny, surprising exploration of family relationships -- many you will recognize as your own. And the family of cast members (who include Letts' father, and all of which are a close Chicago cl

Back to normal...so what's your next show?
 Nov 29 2007, 11:25:54 PM
August:Osage Cty
Saturday Matinee
A buddy of mine is in the cast--can't wait.

Might see something else Sat night while I'm in the city.

Broadway Producers Sue Strikers
 Nov 21 2007, 10:29:46 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN2120127920071121?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews&rpc=22&sp=true
re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
 Nov 7 2007, 07:04:59 PM
Actually, there is no performance on Monday. A week from Monday on the 19th, there is an evening performance the day before opening. Better check your tix.
re: August: Osage County Sweeps Jeff Awards!
 Oct 30 2007, 02:30:17 PM
I plan on seeing it a couple of times. A college buddy of mine, Troy West, is in it. He's loving the experience. His first time on Broadway. He was Off Bway in Tracy Letts' BUG.

Congrats and Break Multiple Appendages to the Entire Cast --
Gerry

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You