News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for GladysBumps

GladysBumps Profile Photo
Member Name: GladysBumps
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: !

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Poor Chita, stuck with yet another ham
 Dec 21 2007, 12:28:54 PM
Darlings, If I could spell, I wouldn't be an ex-chorine, I'd be teaching English in some community college like Mommy dreamed.

Besides, who says you have to be able to spell to dump on somebody?

Could we all just lighten up on the PC stuff?

Dec 21 2007, 12:03:45 PM
See? I can't even bring myself to spell his name correctly.
OMG!

Dec 21 2007, 11:55:25 AM
I guess the point of this thread is that I'm concerned about my wonderful Chita, who has been trying so hard to get this show on, deserves to be surrounded by the cream de la cream in this late life showcase.

I was just being pissy about not naming names I figured everybody would know I'm talking about replacing John McMartin with George Hurn.

Dec 21 2007, 11:41:10 AM
Yeah, Ed, you're right.

I'm so ancient, I actually saw the production as a teen with The Lunts! I guess clouds got in my way, cause I mean Alfred WAS her actual hubby and all.

Incidentally, I remember him being far more interesting at that stage in their careers than she was. She seemed rather stiff and actress-y. He was honest, unfussy, and quite generous. Needless to say, it worked like gangbusters, even for a kid my age.

Why I'm concerned for Chita is that the tw

Poor Chita, stuck with yet another ham
 Dec 21 2007, 10:25:22 AM
Did you all see who's playing her ex-husband in "The Visit" in Washington? Talk about going from the fire into the flames!

I ham what I ham!

re: OUCH - 'Sweeney' Shut Out of the SAG Awards
 Dec 20 2007, 06:57:30 PM
Shut out because not enough of them got extra work on either production. Get it?
re: Speculate on the mysterious West Side Story 'concept'
 Dec 20 2007, 06:53:35 PM
Yes, but they're only playing Tony and Maria as a child.
re: OUCH - 'Sweeney' Shut Out of the SAG Awards
 Dec 20 2007, 04:51:50 PM
May I offer as a long time member of SAG, this is one of the bull**** awards of all time. It's a complete crap shoot who gets on the nominating committee and very often it includes a lot of very green members who just got in the union via wavers for extra work, and have never walked into an acting class in their lives. They get mailed DVDs and are invited to screenings, but very often don't find the time to watch or attend. So it's a complete popularity contest. Believe me, most of us actual act
 Dec 19 2007, 09:26:43 PM
Or maybe in the spirit of age-blind casting, he'll get as many of the original cast back as possible and do the whole thing with old people. Some even in walkers, like a that number from "The Producers," mobility challenged-blind casting.

But hey, Little Richard singing "I Feel Pretty?" That sounds pretty tasty.

Dec 19 2007, 08:50:31 PM
You've all got parts of it right, but the big coupe de theatre will be the double casting of Laurent's new best friend, Miss Patti Lupone in the both the roles of Anita AND Maria. Anyone who has seen La Lupone's "Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda" concert already knows she's perfectly capable of doing the "A Boy Like That, Who Killed Your Brotha" duet--all for Maria's high notes where she just smiles at the audience and points to the ceiling--and she WILL, she CAN (CAN), and she SHOULD. But contrary to sp
re: MEL BROOKS MEL BROOKS youngfrankenstein MEL BROOKS
 Dec 19 2007, 08:10:17 PM
Yeah, B3, I did. "Repulsion," Like that Polanski movie with Catherine Deneuve where arms start coming out of the walls, only in this case it's oozing ego.
 Dec 19 2007, 07:07:19 PM
It's not hate of Mel, it's REPUSION.
 Dec 19 2007, 03:55:05 PM
Well no one can accuse him of being a CLOSET ego maniac.
re: Differences between Broadway LUPONEGYPSY and City Center's LUPONEGYPSY.
 Dec 19 2007, 03:32:30 PM
Go back to the concept of always casting a gay Tulsa, cause the straight one at The City Center was a bore.
re: Are Brantley and Isherwood mellowing, or is this a really strong season
 Dec 17 2007, 08:05:01 PM
And I have the feeling "August-Osage County" didn't blow Brantley's skirts up. It's a bit too ballsy for his cerebral, academic taste. Thank God it was given to Isherwood, who, mind you, I still haven't forgiven for getting all pissy about Lucy Thurber's gorgeously grungy, autobiographical play "Scarcity."
re: Going to The Big Apple on Sat.... What to get?
 Dec 17 2007, 06:59:15 PM
Just go early and bat your eyes and be sweet. I'm sure they'll love to make the sale.
re: 'Queen Sized' with Nikki Blonsky and Annie Potts to premiere January 12
 Dec 15 2007, 08:42:49 PM
By all means, weigh every word you write. Don't you dare say what you mean. Dance around it.
re: The kid playing the Robert Morse role in York's 'Enter Laughing' Mufti
 Dec 14 2007, 04:50:58 PM
ALAN Arken, of course, MY senior moment. In fact, since Adam's mother, Barbara Dana, played Wanda in the play, maybe Adam was but a gleam in Alan's eye at the time.

As for the flashback thing: No, not really. There was a music stand on stage at the beginning with an Enter Laughing scrip on it, which the divine Josh crossed to, and peeked into, thereby setting the whole show in motion. But he was age appropriate, totally believable as a kid just out of high school, so there was no need.

re: The kid playing the Robert Morse role in York's 'Enter Laughing' Mufti thing
 Dec 14 2007, 11:51:10 AM
Interesting. . .

You know, it looked so good in a bare bones production up there on the York's minuscule stage, a lot like the unpretentious straight play version I remembered seeing at The Henry Millers with Adam Arkin (who was also years too old, but no one cared) when I was a teenager. The musical numbers were also done less bombastically than on the album. Stuff like "He Touched Her Breast" and "Men" were slyly delightful without knocking you over the head.

And, as I said

The kid playing the Robert Morse role in York's "Enter Laughing" Mufti thing
 Dec 14 2007, 12:26:31 AM
Some guy named Josh Grisetti, no credits to speak of, and AN ABSOLUTE STAR. This kid's got to be seen to be believed.

And what a hell of a lot of fun this show is! I've had the CD for years and loved it for being so un-PC, and the score is delish, but I wasn't prepared to be absolutely unhinged with laughter. Richard Kind is a pisser. One wonders what went wrong with the original, other than Morse being about thirty years too old. Anyone see it?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You