News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for mntwister

mntwister Profile Photo
Member Name: mntwister
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Why was the Gigi musical so short lived?
 Jun 10 2016, 12:29:05 PM

I find that so sad. There could be so much joy in owning these shows on home video. I've bought every one that has been made available, but they are so few and far between. I would have loved to be able to buy Mel Brook's Young Frankenstein the Broadway musical on home video too. Now it will just be a small part of history like Gigi.

Jun 10 2016, 12:17:30 PM

What is really a shame is that these shows are not taped for broadcast and blu-ray disc release. Here is a show that didn't run long that is a classic musical, and I find it very sad that these productions are not made available to people all over the world in a taped format. Only a few have been taped correctly and presented beautifully on blu-ray disc with lossless audio (Memphis, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Rent, Into the Woods, Billy Elliot among them) and I watch them very often

Jun 10 2016, 11:11:13 AM

For someone who is not in New York and didn't get a chance to see it, all I have to go by are the few scenes on the internet, the Tony's and the original cast CD. I have to say that being a huge fan of the movie, I was so impressed by what was done with the music.The orchestrations are just fantastic for someone like me who loves the old-fashioned showtune. So I had listened to the CD so many times I know it all by heart now (including the orchestrations) and that is why I was really

Cast Recording for La Cage?
 May 27 2010, 04:55:34 AM
I would love to have a 2nd version, and correct, the old one needs remastering badly. I hope they record it, or else it will end up like Mame with only one cast recording (though Angela's is perfect anyway), but it always nice to have another.

How different are the orchestrations? I can't imagine Jerry Herman, after reading his book and several other books about him, choosing to change the orchestrations drastically. They were perfect on the original.

re: JERRY HERMAN-why no musical tribute?
 Jun 9 2009, 12:49:59 AM
Actually I enjoyed the footage as well, but I would have preferred a live tribute.
 Jun 8 2009, 01:31:14 PM
Allofmylife: I agree with you totally, but what better way to show today's audiences a spectacular number from his show(s)? There are many younger theater fans who may have never seen the title songs of Mame or Hello Dolly staged. I agree that he needs no musical tribute as the legend he is, but for fans as well, it would have been a very special performance!

I do not agree that there are not trained singers and dancers or choreographers that could pull off the Mame title tune or Dolly

Jun 8 2009, 12:18:31 AM
Ditto on Carol Channing! Maybe she isn't well.
 Jun 8 2009, 12:18:01 AM
Yeah that too! This has nothing to do with Broadway, but I think 20th Century Fox has made a big mistake not releasing a 40th anniversary edition on DVD and especially Blu-ray of Hello Dolly (this is the 40th anniversary of the film this year). Considering it was featured in Wall-E!
 Jun 8 2009, 12:09:26 AM
I guess you are right. Although there was some good staging. My point is, here is really the last of the "old fashioned showtune" masters getting a special award, it would have been SOOOOO good to do MAME and Hello Dolly titles tunes...and added a little traditional Broadway to the telecast. What a shame.

Jun 8 2009, 12:05:22 AM
I agree with you. The touring thing was OK but could have been shortened to make room for some real showstoppers of Herman!
JERRY HERMAN-why no musical tribute?
 Jun 8 2009, 12:03:06 AM
Did anyone else feel that they could have found a way to make room for a great showstopping number before they gave the award to Jerry Herman? They could have started with the fox-hunters from Mame in the red and black tuxes singing Mame, and then gone into the title tune of Hello Dolly and maybe even something from La Cage. I think they really could have brought the house down with this, and considering Angela Lansbury and Jerry Herman were both there, it would have been special. There really w
and the Tony Award[s] went to...
 Jun 7 2009, 11:59:48 PM
I enjoyed the show, it was the first time I was able to watch it on my 150" screen because we just got our local networks in High Def, it looked and sounded fantastic!

I agree with the poster above, the musical numbers with the touring shows was OK, but I felt it would have been quite spectacular to instead of one of them have a great production number right before the special award to Jerry Herman. There wasn't much of "traditional" Broadway on the show except for Guys and Dolls and We

re: Young Frankenstein-Tony's...What Happened?
 Jun 6 2008, 11:39:44 PM
Thanks Brettystar, I was hoping there was someone else to post who felt that the scores for The Producers and Young Frankenstein are very different. I see very little that is similar except that they are both old-fashioned showtunes.
 May 19 2008, 04:46:27 PM
That's true Frontrow.....they could have taped it, although there is one big reason I am glad they didn't go that route...with the film, we get the much larger orchestra I think sounds fantastic compared to the somewhat skimpy orchestrations of the broadway cast. The orchestra was expanded in the film so much that it is so much richer and full...this is evident especially on the blu-ray disc where the sound is not compressed...it's one of the best orchestral recordings I have heard in a movie in
 May 19 2008, 03:06:50 PM
Frontrowcentre, agree with you on The Producers, I liked the musical much better than the original film. Funny, but I seem to be one of the few who really liked the film version of the musical, I've watched the blu-ray dozens of times (it's available as an import on blu-ray from Japan where Universal released it). I thought the movie was excellent, the only problem I had with it was that Susan Strohman should have avoided the actors looking directly into the camera, which happened alot. That's
 May 18 2008, 07:27:30 PM
Frontrowcentre2.....no need to be so darn rude with your responses. I said it was my opinion and I am allowed that. If I think there was a snub it's my right, don't tell me I need to learn anything, I've been a faithful fan of Broadway for over 40 years and have seen alot. Telling me it's ok to like junk is just insulting my tastes, very tasteless statement.

Some of us here see the politics of the awards committees whether they are in New York or in Hollywood, just because you think

May 18 2008, 04:31:52 PM
"If you think YF has a better score than Passing Strange, I think that's more reflective of your personal taste in musical genres than better/worse comparison."

Frogs, you are right, and I said that in my posts, it's my opinion only. It's reflective of the type of score I like. But speaking for the catagory of scores I like best, which is the old-fashioned showtune, I think it's a definate winner.

The only reason I might not watch the Tonys this year is I really don't care for

May 18 2008, 03:58:41 PM
I believe Young Frankenstein was snubbed for best score, but hey everyone, it's just my opinion. I happen to think this score is just awesome, I totally love it and my opinion is it should have been nominated... ok maybe not for best musical but certainly for score...but again, that's my opinion. When I listen to some of the music from Cry Baby or Passing Strange, I mean please let's be real. That's exactly where I feel there was a snub. But what will be will be,, and I am disappointed YF won't
 May 18 2008, 11:27:41 AM
"No, officially, they likely won't perform. Although there have been rumors and gossip considering how CBS is floundering with ratings, and in a quick attempt to pull them up might turn to both shows for a song. And, I don't blame 'em. With YF snubbed, I seriously am not watching for the first time in 7 years."

Ditto, 25 years for me.

May 18 2008, 12:15:38 AM
"CBS would be fools if they didn't let YF and TLM (the 2 bigest box office draws on Broadway) perform on the telecast."

But they won't be on the telecast, will they?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You