TheatreFan4
#1Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 4/28/10 at 6:49pm

Are they getting one or no?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 4/28/10 at 7:06pm

I'm waiting very impatiently for the cast recording announcements for La Cage and Promises, Promises. I can't imagine that either one of them wouldn't get recorded with their big names over the titles, but you never really know. I haven't heard anything solid for either one of them. Updated On: 4/28/10 at 07:06 PM

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#2Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 4/28/10 at 7:15pm

No word as yet on a LA CAGE recording. Are there any changes to the score that would make a revival cast album different content wise from the 1984 OBCR?

Sony/Masterworks Broadway has apparently expressed interest in PROMISES PROMISES (though nothing is signed as yet.)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#3Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 4/28/10 at 7:18pm

Definitely getting LA CAGE. Not so PROMISES PROMISES.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 4/28/10 at 7:38pm

Kelsey Grammer sings a little bit during "With Anne on My Arm". I don't remember that being on the OBCR. There's certainly more music that they could fit this time around, but I don't think additional content is really an issue in this case.

musicalbluemirror Profile Photo
musicalbluemirror
#5Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 4/28/10 at 8:53pm

I dont really mind if they dont record La Cage
I will take the OBCR over anything else any day

And i dont think i could possibly stand to listen to Douglas Hodge sing on a recording
It only worked onstage because he acted through them really well

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#6Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 4/28/10 at 10:58pm

No info yet, sadly, but count me among those anxiously awaiting an announcement that it's getting recorded!

I know that there were a few labels who wanted to record the 2004 revival, but the producers of that production weren't going to put up any of the funds to help get it done, so a deal was never struck. I would think (and hope) that with the extraordinarily positive reception this production has received and its many producers (including the Weisslers) that a recording would be a given.

Regardless of the excellent performances on the OBCR, most fans still love to have multiple recordings of their favorite musicals. La Cage is one of my favorites and I hate only having one option for it on my CD shelf. The show deserves to be better represented (again, not in terms of quality (the original is magnificent), but by having more productions on record). I remembering wishing to no avail that the last revival would be recorded, but want this production on CD even more.

I'm surprised by some of the comments regarding Douglas Hodge's voice. His Albin is the primary reason I want this production on CD. I'll be watching his "I Am What I Am" on youtube and loving it until a CD has become a reality (assuming it does).

binau Profile Photo
binau
#7Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 4/28/10 at 11:00pm

Ignore both and record ENCORES!whistle.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#8Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 4/30/10 at 10:39pm

On a semi-related subject, why hasn't any online site started selling merch for La Cage yet? I saw the show on Wednesday, and I only picked up the magnet, as I didn't have too much room in my suitcase to bring back too much stuff. And I noticed while I was there that they didn't have the poster yet, but I just saw it up on Triton.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#9Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 5/1/10 at 3:25am

My inside source says. "I'm telling those who are interested in hearing this company be recorded to express it to National Artist Management Co at 165 W 46th St, Ste 1202. (212-575-1044)."

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#10Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 5/1/10 at 6:37pm

TheatreDiva-

Can you elaborate on your earlier post at all?

Any word from your inside source on whether this is likely to happen?

Also, is National Artist Management Co asking for feedback & expecting to hear from interested individuals? Just need to know if calling would be out of the blue & or if this is something they are working with and would be aware of why one would be calling to say there's one more person who wants to see the CD happen. (is NAMCO the Weisslers production company?)

Thanks for any thoughts or clarification!

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#11Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 5/1/10 at 6:52pm

If I could say more, I woud have.

Call them. What could it hurt?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

algy Profile Photo
algy
#12Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 5/2/10 at 12:35pm

I would *love* a recording of Doug Hodge. If it has to be with Kelsey rather than Denis Lawson/Philip Quast then so be it.

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#13Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 5/4/10 at 6:47pm

RE: choitoy's post, any word on merchandising?

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#14Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 5/4/10 at 8:58pm

Are there any changes to the score that would make a revival cast album different content wise from the 1984 OBCR?

Probably nothing outside the cast and the orchestrations, but if they can record all those Sondheim revivals, why not this one? There have been only two English-language cast recordings of the show, the Broadway desperately needs to be remastered and the Australian never made it past the LP. If this production is significant enough to spawn the first three-time Tony-winning musical (Best Musical and two Best Revivals), I would think it would be fitting to mark it as such with a recording. I'm sure somebody involved has the resources to produce it.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

mntwister Profile Photo
mntwister
#15Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 5/27/10 at 4:55am

I would love to have a 2nd version, and correct, the old one needs remastering badly. I hope they record it, or else it will end up like Mame with only one cast recording (though Angela's is perfect anyway), but it always nice to have another.

How different are the orchestrations? I can't imagine Jerry Herman, after reading his book and several other books about him, choosing to change the orchestrations drastically. They were perfect on the original.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#16Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 5/27/10 at 6:43am

The recent interview with Jerry Herman said something along the lines that there had been no offers. If you want another La Cage cast CD find any of the international productions that have been recorded over the last 20 odd years. There are plenty out there.

broadwayfreak4 Profile Photo
broadwayfreak4
#17Cast Recording for La Cage?
Posted: 5/27/10 at 1:06pm

Grrrr! They didn't make one for 04 revival and now they won't make one for this revival, while this revival is more acclaimed than the 04 revival. We need an newer version besides the OBCR!

Videos