News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ChicagoAmy

Member Name: ChicagoAmy
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Violet Rush Tickets
 May 19 2014, 04:35:36 PM
So I'm confused, is there rush or isn't there? Broadway Spotted rush report says 0% chance of tickets. Has anyone tried to rush lately? I'm in town later this week and was hoping to rush Saturday...
re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
 Apr 6 2007, 01:32:25 PM
The Chicago Tribune at least says it's "no total shipwreck"

Overhauled 'Pirate Queen' is still leaking

By Chris Jones
Tribune theater critic
Published April 6, 2007

NEW YORK -- About 15 minutes into Wednesday night's press performance of "The Pirate Queen" on Broadway, the show's ailing star, Stephanie J. Block, walked her own plank into the wings, never to return. With the orchestra missing nary a toot of a pipe, out popped her understudy, none other than Chicago actress Kathy Voytko. All of a sudden, Grace O'Malley had a totally different face.

You can say one thing for this pirate queen. She's surely been full of surprises.

Clearly, the producers of this epic, troubled show--which originated last fall in Chicago and was to open officially on Broadway on Thursday night--have expended great effort and money in an honorable attempt to listen to their Midwestern critics and try to solve the problems inherent in their colossal Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schoenberg musical. Moya Doherty and John McColgan, class acts all the way, deserve more respect for this project than I fear New York will be affording them. To understand, you had to see the Chicago tryout.

Doherty and McColgan could do nothing about Block's untimely ill-health (she missed other important performances this week) or the inherent limitations of a dangerously woolly Boublil/Schoenberg conception or the bizarre inclination of many of those involved to wallow into dangerously melodramatic waters. More troubling yet, they could do little to right a creative ship, under Frank Galati's direction, that has acquired a frenetic--at times even panicked-- sensibility that was not in evidence in Chicago. That's what happens when actors, directors and choreographers start to worry that their ship is going down. Everyone pushes back much too hard, much too fast and with too many tricks. People forget the need for quiet; the obligation to let a story breathe. But what the producers could reasonably fix, they fixed. Mostly.

In place of muddled storytelling, we now have a much clearer tale. The new lyricist, Richard Maltby Jr. (and, since this is a through-composed show, he's really a new book writer), now telegraphs the plot developments in plain English. The lyrics are more colloquial and there are several new passages of plot-revealing dialogue. Along with other enhancements, new "musical stager" Graciela Daniele has fashioned a spectacular Act One finale. And most notable of all, the end of the show is infinitely more satisfying, with Grace and the Queen finally enjoying a full, passionate debate on the pleasures and pain of feminist occupation.

And, Hallelujah, the focus finally has landed on the two central women, O'Malley and Linda Balgord's Queen Elizabeth. Grace's dying dad doesn't dominate the first act but assumes an enabling cameo of the requisite, limited scale. Grace no longer gives birth and then, seconds later, takes up a sword. At last, thank heavens, the superb Balgord isn't obliged to spend the entire night in her upper register. Her character has morphed from a crass cartoon in grand gowns to a half-way humanized woman.

Block, one of the show's great assets from the start, will be back in full force. Her show is no total shipwreck. It will have some fans, especially among the "Riverdance" crowd. But if this end product was what "Pirate Queen" should have been in Chicago, the entire show might have had a smoother voyage. As it has turned out, the show is still undermined by the remnants of a campy sensibility it could never fully replace with the dramatic poetry required by the stirring, feminist, nationalist story it so badly wanted to tell with passion and truth.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-0704050293apr06,1,376996.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

re: the queen
 Apr 4 2007, 02:39:14 PM
Tickets are $31.25 and are varying degrees of obstructed view on the side. I had row E 9 which was far enough back that it was great, but row CC 9 cut off a good chunk of the stage. Most of the time it was okay since the action is pretty centered, but in the dance numbers you couldn't see most of the left side of the stage. Ask for seats on the left side because from what I've hear the right side is obstructed by a box on the stage for at least part of the first act.

Thursday 3/29 I

re: Pirate Queen Poll
 Mar 28 2007, 12:31:21 AM
Hi Popular, yup, that was me! I'll report back, but I'll say in advance that I'm sucky at reviewing, and others have already done such a great job and noting the differences! But I'll try! I'm planning on going both Thursday and Sunday, can't wait to see it again!

re: Wicked in Chicago-New Cast Update; Looking Good.
 Mar 27 2007, 10:52:24 AM
Good to know! I guess I'll have to redouble my lotto tries...haven't seen it in over a year since my luck has been so bad. :p
re: Pirate Queen Poll
 Mar 27 2007, 10:37:25 AM
A- in Chicago, and I'll form an opinion on the NYC version on Thursday!
re: Pirate Queen Part III (my PM)
 Dec 3 2006, 12:24:29 AM
> Seeing this show a few times has changed my opinion that there are no familiar melodies. I have so many stuck in my head all day now!

I noticed that too! The first time I saw it I liked it, but nothing stayed with me. But ever since my second time seeing it (ended up seeing it five times), I've had the songs *constantly* stuck in my head!

PQ love
 Nov 24 2006, 12:31:47 AM
No! And I'm sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of snubbing them, I was just curious since you said you didn't get to meet Hadley if that was why!
PQ tough love
 Nov 24 2006, 12:10:35 AM
Popular, oh it totally doesn't sound like that, I know what you mean! Heh, I was one of the first to talk to her that night since I ended up right up by the doors.
PQ tough love
 Nov 23 2006, 05:34:33 PM
I so didn't read the dates on this right, I was at the show on the 17th too! Heh, the poor guy hanging there, but it was funny the way he waved to the crowd. I'm not sure if he was stuck in the netting though, I think his rope just didn't go up. The boyfriend of one of the cast memebers was sitting behind me, and he said that's the fourth time something like that has happened, and everything is so automated that if one thing doesn't go right (ie guy on
PQ tough love
 Nov 21 2006, 09:22:17 AM
Oh wow, I don't think I ever even considered the thought that they might recast anyone! They'd better not, everyone is just perfect in their roles!
re: Thoughts on The Pirate Queen (11/16 & 11/17)
 Nov 20 2006, 11:55:30 PM
I just have to add to The Pirate Queen love!

I originally had tickets for the November 5 show but then when it opened decided that I wanted to see it earlier, I was curious to see if any changes would be made. So I got tickets to the Oct 8 show and I liked it, but I admit that it didn't really stay with me at first. I thought the actors were amazing and I loved the dancing and the Celtic inspired music, but I couldn't understand a lot of the ensemble songs (part of it was due to being

re: An Open Letter to Mr. Richard Maltby Jr.
 Nov 18 2006, 01:22:16 PM
> I'm sure no one is thinking of cutting "I'll Be There". Just the same, I thought I'd remind you to be sure to keep that one.

I asked Hadley about that last night, both "I'll Be There" and my other favorite "Here On this Night", and he said he's pretty sure those are safe. I don't think he could really say much, but I got the impression they will be making significant changes. I happened to sit by the boyfriend of a cast member, and he said th

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You