The Pirate Queen Reviews

Yankeefan007
#1The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/4/07 at 8:22pm

Opening is tomorrow.

Michael Musto's is already up:

"The Pirate Queen—that '80s-style indulgence in musical nostalgia for the 16th century—is basically a two-and-a-half-hour Irish Spring commercial as if reimagined by American Idol. Heather Mills could easily have stretched and played Captain Hook, but it turns out the show is not about the first gay pirate after all. It's about the first female one, who's portrayed as sort of SANDRA BULLOCK meets CELINE DION en route to GLORIA STEINEM, with a sprinkling of both MAUREEN O'HARA and some Lucky Charms. The result? Lyrics like "She's confused about gender/She's been too long at sea" truly stink, as do the stagnantly staged stretches of boring screeching and mushy recitative. But alas, this is no classic nuclear weapon like Carrie or Dance of the Vampires; occasional enjoyable scenes and cotton-candy tunes take the sting out of what could otherwise have been called When Irish Eyes are Sleeping."

http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/0714,musto,76242,15.html

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#2re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/4/07 at 8:58pm

Ouch. I hope his opinions do not spread to the other critics tomorrow.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

MargoChanning
#2re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:08pm

Musto is not the critic for the Voice -- Michael Feingold is. And that's not an official review -- just a paragraph out of his gossip column (which is a fun read, but nothing anyone in the theatre industry takes seriously and has no more weight that a random "review" from the posters on BWW).

The Feingold's Voice review will be up next Tuesday.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 4/4/07 at 09:08 PM

Yankeefan007
#3re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:14pm

...I never said it was an official review...

MargoChanning
#4re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:19pm

Well, there are already a dozen "unofficial" review threads on the show at this point. Why create another?

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 4/4/07 at 09:19 PM

Yankeefan007
#5re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:24pm

Simple: it's more interesting to have this than it is to have 92 threads on Spring Awakening student rush.

RentBoy86
#6re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:47pm

You underestimate Spring Awakening's rush policy.

Yankeefan007
#7re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:49pm

Probably, yes.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#8re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:58pm

WEll if we're going the route of "unofficial" reviews, then https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=931001&dt=0.

Not that mine really counts for anything.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Roscoe
#9re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 7:31am

And here's mine:

http://roscoewrites.blogspot.com/2007/03/pirate-queen-is-new-musical-from.html

I'm looking forward to the more official reviews. I like what Musto said about the show being an extended Irish Spring commercial. The only thing missing from the show is a song entitled "Manly Yes, But I Like It Too!"

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

#10re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 8:01am

that reminds me of when i used to work @ a coffeehouse in asheville, nc & there was this elderly homeless woman who would come in & wash in the restrooms.
she would sing, "i keep me snatch clean with irish spring!' & then cackle madly.

#11re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 8:33am

Now *that*'s a lyric I bet Shoenberg could do wonders with...

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#12re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 8:59am

Wasn't that one of the Beggar Woman's cut lyrics from Sweeney Todd?

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#13re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 6:44pm

Talkin' Broadway is up...and Lordy, it's a rave....

"Much like the first glimpse of your home port following a ‘round-the-world cruise, the new musical at the Hilton, The Pirate Queen, is a sight for weary eyes. Sailing into view near the end of a mostly waterlogged season for Broadway musicals, this is the first new tuner of the season that looks, feels, and behaves like a bona-fide hit."

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/world/

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

lovesclassics
#15re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 6:56pm

I wouldn't call the Talkin' Broadway review a rave. More like a back-handed compliment but overall mixed to positive. From everything I've read on the boards, I'm surprised he liked the show more than the cast. Everyone else has said just the opposite.

lc

touchmeinthemorning
#16re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 6:59pm

Frankly, any reviewer who doesn't give credit to Stephanie Block should consider a new profession. She does remarkable work in the show, and should be given credit by these reviews...even if the show gets trashed (which it should), Block should get raves.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

rocker05
#17re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 7:02pm

Wow, the Talkin' Broadway review was quite a shock. Poor Stephanie, she didn't deserve to slammed like that. Even though I can't say much about her performance because I only saw her for about 20 minutes last night, she seemed to pack quite a punch as Grace. As for the other reviews, they are somewhat right and agree that the better numbers involve Hadley and the duet between the Queen and Grace. Of course, Hadley got raves. I fear for the show if the Times is negative, they've usually been the ones who cause many shows to close. The AM New York review actually took the words right out of my mouth. They said this was a 1980's musical, and I completely agree, to me it belonged in that era. Here's hoping there are a little more positive write-ups for the wonderful performances.

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#18re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 7:03pm

Thanks for the links!
I'm excited to read more reviews as the night goes on. For some reason I've really been looking forward to the critic's reviews for this show...and I look forward to seeing their impact (if any).

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#19re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 7:08pm

Murray is crazy. He'll bash shows like Company and Follies. But this he raves?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#20re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 7:09pm

I will say one thing for Brantley. Even if he doesn't like a production, he does recognize good talent in the peroformers. I have no doubt that he will give a positive review for Stephanie, while the rest of the show might get panned.

vmlinnie
#21re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 7:13pm

Wow. Crash & Burn, or what?

AMNY really hated it. Though the writer does generalize all Irish dances as jigs, probably hasn't got a clue what the difference is between a jig and any other type of European dance. All just jigs to him.

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#22re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 7:15pm

I'll be doing Grace's "Told You So" dance all night!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#23re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 7:30pm

Not exactly a shocker

I imagine they will only get worse as the night goes on

Looks like pirate queen wont be around very long.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#24re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 7:36pm

This isn't a shock at all, anyone could see it coming.

I will say though that while I am not a fan of the show (I saw it, it was OK, but nothing special) why do people take such pleasure in the fact that it's getting negative reviews?

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

Videos