News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Mamie

Mamie Profile Photo
Member Name: Mamie
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

MAME'S NAME?  Jun 17 2020, 05:30:40 AM

"Mamie is a feminine given name and nickname (often of Mary)"

Exactly.   I was named after a great aunt and a great, great aunt back in Ireland.   Both were formally named Mary, but were known by all as Mame or Mamie.   We always assumed that was their given names until we found an old family bible with their proper names listed inside.  I've always heard it was because it's very hard for a baby or very young ch

Holiday Inn Opening Very Soon  Sep 17 2016, 11:29:23 PM

I loved nearly all the Rogers/Astaire musicals, but I agree - Swing Time stood well above the rest, primarily because of that fabulous score.   I've got to dig out that DVD and watch it again .   For me it never gets old!

Ginger wrote about filming that final dance. Fred wanted it all done in one take - without any editing cuts. Every time a small mistake was made, they had to start over again from the beginning. Once they finally got a good take that Fred was happy with, s

Mandatory bag check at Curious Incident?  Mar 17 2015, 12:43:00 PM
After 9/11 they ALL had mandatory bag checks. This may just be a relic of that time.

How Many Of The 40 Broadway Theaters Have You Been To?  Feb 22 2015, 11:49:15 PM
My opportunities to go to New York and soak up the Broadway World ran from 2001 - January, 2012. During that wonderful time I managed to get to all but 3 (and those were missed simply because there was always something else playing at another theater that I wanted to see more). Maybe between now and the time i kick off this mortal coil I'll get a chance to get to those three.
Ticket for Les Miserables- NOW GONE  Mar 7 2014, 04:32:33 AM
And it's gone. (Looks like to a student - YEAH!)
Ticket for Les Miserables - NOW GONE  Mar 7 2014, 04:14:59 AM
I have an e-ticket for tomorrow night's Les Miserables that I'm offering to the first taker. I can't make to NY and I'd rather see a theatre fan (maybe a student?) get it. First to send their email address (use the private message - don't post it here) gets it. It's a great seat - first row center mezzanine.

(did I mention that it was free?)

to all the new posters here ...  Aug 29 2013, 10:28:41 AM
I found the link to the first thread. It was on the off-topic board: https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=882598&boardname=off&boardid=2&page=1

(I read that first page to the end and completely lost it when I was reading the tributes to Glebby. Of course he was responding to all the questions and I came across one poster who asked him a question and that same poster had since changed his avatar to a pic of Mark with a signature line saying 'in memory of' So many wonderful people who were here then have gone to the angels.)

to all the new posters here ...  Aug 29 2013, 10:18:03 AM
THAT'S it! Thank you Doodle. (having brain-dead senior moments is now a way of life for me!)
to all the new posters here ...  Aug 29 2013, 09:51:59 AM
Thanks sweetie - but it's entirely true. This rather misguided individual decided that Jbarafan1 and I were the same person and that we (I) was a bigoted racist because I didn't agree with their assessment of a particular performer. Old friend Greg Jbara was in the show in question and Barbara (Jbarafan1) told this guy that Greg knew us both and knew we were two separate individuals who didn't even resemble each other. He proceded to say, with all seriousness, that we(I) were(was) SO manip
Geoffrey Rush in Drowsy Film  Aug 27 2013, 09:24:30 PM
I would probably tolerate a bunch of Hollywood casting if I could just see Danny Burstein one more time as Aldolpho!
to all the new posters here ...  Aug 27 2013, 12:28:41 PM
love ya, Besty!

... and tazber, and Dame and Carlos and SO MANY OTHERS!

to all the new posters here ...  Aug 27 2013, 12:12:58 PM
I've been here for a while and I've been insulted (best was when I was called a bigoted, racist, manipulative sock puppet. NOBODY calls ME a sock puppet!) and I've been complimented (favorite was when the grand dame of all - DAME - addressed me as "Hussy". Only then did I feel part of the 'in crowd'.)

I do allow the acid-flinging to get to me sometimes. Particularly when there's real acid being tossed in my own life and I don't need the addition of faux acid from here) but I truly

Broadway Legend Julie Harris has died ...  Aug 26 2013, 01:08:28 PM
I just learned of Ms. Harris' passing. I immediately thought that for her, Broadway must be dimming it's lights for at least a full week.

I remember all the actors in Broadway: The Golden Age, talking about seeing the incredible Laurette Taylor and thinking how sad it was that her performances were never caught on film for us to see. Thank the Lord that we will have many of Ms. Harris' performances to see again and again. They had Laurette Taylor - but WE had Julie Harris!
<

Kennedy Center  May 6 2013, 12:53:52 PM
They did the full show - with some choreography. (Most of that was done by Greg Jbara and the street folks). It looked like all the time was spent on learning the musical numbers (as you'd expect) which explained the use of scripts for all the dialog. I didn't know about Michael York's stroke and considering that, he did wonderfully. I agree with MCFan2's review. I expected Kelly to know her part and she didn't disappoint at all. von Essen sang beautifully, which is about all you can
Why didn't Mary Martin get the role of Maria over Julie Andrews for the film version of THE SOUND OF MUSIC?  Nov 20 2012, 12:18:54 PM
I only saw Mary Martin once on stage but she was absolute magic when performing live. She could grab an audience and make you feel like you were her best friend and just about everyone who saw her just loved her. Unfortunately that magic never came through the camera. Even if age hadn't been a factor, I just don't think the movie would have been half as wonderful with her in it instead of Julie Andrews.
Best seating for Spiderman  Apr 18 2012, 08:18:04 PM
thanks so much. Front center mezz is my preferred choice for most big musicals but I wasn't sure about this one - particularly with all the flying.
CINDERELLA stars set: Santino Fontana and Laura Osnes  Apr 18 2012, 08:14:47 PM
Absolutely great casting. I love both of them and I love this music. Should at least be wonderful to listen to!
Best seating for Spiderman  Apr 18 2012, 08:12:02 PM
I have a 5 year old niece who is absolutely nuts (and I mean NUTS) about Spiderman. Her mom and dad want to bring her to NY to see the show but they'd like some advice on the best place to sit. I've never seen the show so I can't help them. Your opinions please? (And please don't suggest that they sit in another theatre....) Thanks!
Pre-recording Vocals to be Played Back During Performance  Oct 7 2011, 12:42:07 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned but the voices of the ballet girls in "Shine" (Billy Elliot) are enhanced by the voices of 3 adult women in a sound booth under the stage. I don't know if they ever recorded this but I do know that at the beginning of the run, the additional voices were live.
Joanna Gleason as Anna in The King And I  Sep 2 2011, 06:03:00 PM
I loved Joanna and Greg J. in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels too. I'd much rather see the two of them together in a revival of "I Do, I Do".
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You