News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for magic8ball

magic8ball Profile Photo
Member Name: magic8ball
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://www.musical-forums.net
Blog Address:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Broadway Producers Putting Together Fall Reading of CARRIE: THE MUSICAL
 Oct 19 2009, 03:05:15 AM
Carolee Carmello and Celia Keenan-Bolger. Yes, please.
re: 13: anyone interested?
 Aug 17 2008, 11:09:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpUek-yc5_Q&feature=related

The first time I watched that, I said to myself, "This has got to be a joke." It honestly looks like a poor man's end-of-summer-camp pastiche video with a smattering of Nickelodeon's "All That".

re: How did SOUTH win 'Scenic Design' over SITPWG???
 Jun 16 2008, 01:17:23 AM
It's absolutely outrageous. The set of SITPWG was captivating. There's no other word for it. And there's absolutely no justification to the upset.

Hell, Sunday's set should have been nominated for Best Leading Actor in a Musical.

re: Sutton Foster solo concert tonight (4/28) at Joe's Pub
 Apr 29 2008, 04:40:18 PM
She was on for about an hour.

She was wearing jeans...

And I KNEW THAT THAT GUY WAS TAPING.

re: How the heck did GLORY DAYS make it onto Broadway?!
 Apr 29 2008, 03:43:55 PM
"He just made a very dumb comment in an otherwise good review"

It wasn't a very dumb comment. Call was manic and twitchy and sweating profusely, vaguely reminiscent of the homeless man that stands outside of the Duane Reade on my block; it was uncomfortable to watch, and I said so. Get over it.

Apr 29 2008, 03:34:07 PM
"That actually got sustained laughter at the perf. I attended. The actors def. held for it, so I am assuming it is an intended laugh."

Ah, see... at the performance I attended, nobody knew whether or not to laugh at that moment because the show takes itself so seriously so much of the time, and that inadvertently made the line even funnier.

Apr 29 2008, 02:46:35 PM
My favorite line in the entire show:

Main Character's Friend: "Why were you two kissing?"
Main Character: "He kissed me, and I just let it happen."
MCF: "You can't please everybody."

I had to repress my laughter so much that I almost started choking.

Apr 29 2008, 02:43:31 PM
A few more tunes that I remember:

The Late Late Show
Oklahoma!
Sunshine on My Shoulders
On My Way
Flight
Up on the Roof
Air Conditioner
Nobody's Crying

Honestly, there were a ton of songs and many were very rare pieces. Almost no showtunes. She was adorable, and the audience loved her.

Apr 29 2008, 01:56:30 AM
She was absolutely phenomenal. A perfect set of songs. She did a duet of Craig Carnelia's "Flight" with Megan McGinnis that was stunning. There were lots of other highlights, but the songs are obscure and I don't know the names of them. I guess that we'll just have to wait for the album...
 Apr 28 2008, 02:06:55 PM
"8Ball, watch those drug comments...that was just rude."

It was obvious sarcasm.

Apr 28 2008, 02:51:31 AM
I rarely post reviews here of the shows that I see, but this thread makes me really angry so I'm going to. First of all, people COME HERE to read reviews that will help them determine what shows they should spend their $100+ on, and not all "pieces of art" (that made me laugh out loud) deserve their cash. If I can steer someone away from wasting a ton of money to see this disaster, then I consider it a public service.

Here is what I think of the new musical "Glory Days":

re: STORY OF MY LIFE musical -- Broadway 2009
 Apr 9 2008, 11:25:50 AM
I also saw this show at NAMT and was very impressed. The characters were memorable, and there were great musical moments. The plot could have used some work, but I hope that those issues get smoothed out before the Broadway run. Definitely worth seeing though.
re: See What I Wanna See
 Aug 26 2007, 06:25:49 PM
I never saw Audra in the role, but her version of the title song on YouTube is egregiously saccharine.
re: EDEN found on Broadway?
 Aug 26 2007, 06:18:11 PM
If this happens, they NEED to get Doug Kreeger for Cain.
re: Soliciting advice on how to prepare for recording of a cast album
 Aug 12 2007, 10:24:55 PM
Here is a list of things that they should know:

1. Keep hydrated, and bring a large bottle of water to the studio. Keep it room temperature.
2. Don't overdo your warm-ups because you will be singing again and again and AGAIN as the engineer experiments and you are directed to do different things. Don't worry about warm-ups as you would for a performance or audition... If the monitor is working properly, you will not have to push your voice.
3. Wear comfortable clot

re: Is 'In the Heights' good?
 Jul 24 2007, 02:56:22 PM
The show is incredibly overrated. It wasn't BAD, but it certainly wasn't good. The show gets by because the performers are so lively and charismatic (although, off-Broadway, the leads were also 90% miscast). The score is nice but nothing spectacular, and the book is pretty cliche.

I think that people are beginning to settle for material like this because it has been so long that a show has arrived on the boards that is both amazing AND original... But, with In The Heights, I thi

re: Open Mic Mondays at New World Stages!
 Jul 23 2007, 06:10:08 PM
No age minimum... The host is NWS' house manager Colleen Harris (who is also an AMAZING singer).

It's happening again tonight- come along and bring your friends!

Open Mic Mondays at New World Stages!
 Jul 16 2007, 02:55:10 PM
Hey, all. Just letting everyone know that there is a new open mic night on Mondays at the Time Out New York Lounge at New World Stages off-Broadway theatre complex (340 W. 50th St., b/w 8th and 9th Aves.). The weekly event starts at 9 p.m. and goes until around 11:30. Additionally, there are $5 drink specials at the lounge.

An accompanist is provided (who is absolutely, out-of-this-world phenomenal and can play anything you could possible want him to play), or you can feel free to ac

re: Kristin Chenoweth is a nut! 'SEND'
 May 21 2007, 03:44:40 PM
Are you all serious? Of COURSE she knew who T.R. was. She probably had a seating chart to come up with material before the show as well. And no, she wasn't making fun of Knight for being gay. She was poking fun at an issue that got blown ridiculously out of proportion a few months ago. Lighten up.
re: In The Height ties with Spring Awakening for Best Musical
 May 8 2007, 01:15:10 AM
Congratulations to the winners.

Sucks that "Gutenberg! the Musical" was vastly better than "In the Heights" and therefore much more deserving of that particular win.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You