13: anyone interested?

#113: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:44pm

seriously. is anyone over 18 on these boards interested?

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#2re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:53pm

I'm curious, but it depends on the discounts that are released for this one. I won't spend more than $30 on it.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

Kev14 Profile Photo
Kev14
#2re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:56pm

I am not interested in this show. Let alone would I want to fork out $100 for this show.

I am very impressed with an all teenage cast but the story does not excite me

Upcoming Shows: Quilters, A Bronx Tale, August: Osage County, Wicked, Spring Awakening, Little House on the Prairie

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#3re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 1:29pm

The show at least to me feels more like a Disney channel movie type thing rather then a Broadway show

And, I have seen the music video on the site and I don't think that this is JRB's best work.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

RyToast1
#4re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 1:30pm

I'm actually really interested. How much I'm willing to pay though....not sure.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#5re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 1:31pm

I'll pay $13, but that's about it.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#6re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 1:33pm

i keep confusing 13 with Glory Days.

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#7re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 1:34pm

Come opening day for 13 there won't be much difference between the two.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

truk777
#8re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 1:41pm

I think after all the recent cancellations and postponed shows the producers would be shaking in their boots. I have no desire to see this show and probably wouldn't go even if I got a $13 ticket.

playbills Profile Photo
playbills
#9re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 1:42pm

I'm 17 so obviously I MUST be interested.

I'm seeing this show soley because I've yet to see an original JRB production. He cut my favorite song but I'm hoping I'll be surprised by .. something.

I'd gladly take a time machine to see Parade or The Last 5 Years instead.

Kev14 Profile Photo
Kev14
#10re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 1:44pm

Who wouldn't take a time machine to see the Last 5 Years?

Upcoming Shows: Quilters, A Bronx Tale, August: Osage County, Wicked, Spring Awakening, Little House on the Prairie

shesamarshmallow
#11re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 2:28pm

I'm 21 and it's my favorite show. I also have friends who are 26 and 23 (straight male) who love it. Anyone who compares 13 to High School Musical and its clones clearly have neither seen nor understood neither. And much as I loved Glory Days, I'll be the first to say it wasn't a good show. 13 is.

As for The Last 5 Years, I'd save my time machine for a show that hasn't been perfectly preserved on a CD that plays (from all accounts) much better than the production itself.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Mr. Peanut Man
#12re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 2:39pm

I've been turned off by the music. The title song sounds like it was written by a thirteen year old rather than a grown up man who we know can produce absolutley beauiful and haunting music. I just can't imagine these kids doing eight shows a week without doing permanent damage to their voices. Some adults can't even handle that schedule!

Kev14 Profile Photo
Kev14
#13re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 3:07pm

I am hoping that 13 is a suprise!

If I could use my time machine only once I doubt I would use it on Last 5 Years, but that show is one of my favorites!

Juliash Profile Photo
Juliash
#14re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 3:08pm

No.

killertofu333
#15re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 3:14pm

Just like marshmallow, I'm 21 as well. Unlike others I haven't heard any of the music from 13, but just based on the story/ concept I don't know how hyped I am for this production. How much would I really spend on a show that would possibly make me feel like a geriatric whose seen the same plot countless times? And would I actually travel 9 hours from my home to see it on broadway? I don't know but I'm more than willing to give it a chance to grow on me.

"I have the prettiest mother..."--Rhoda Penmark~~~ The Bad Seed

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#16re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 3:24pm

I have an array of other places I'd take my time machine first. :3

I'd buy the '13' CD, but I don't think I'd see the show. I... don't really enjoy children onstage. I'll take adults playing children, a la YAGMCB or Spelling Bee, but children themselves... I don't want to see more than two or three on a stage at a time. That's just my personal feelings though, and I hope prices stay low enough to draw many teenagers to Broadway and set them on their way to a theatre habit that'll last a lifetime.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#17re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 3:50pm

I just don't understand some people.

First, everyone was whining how Broadway was becoming a "theme park" with shows like Little Mermaid, Shrek, etc.

Now he have an original musical coming and people are still complaining?

I can understand that you may not want to be interested in a show...that's fine. But why make a thread that was clearly started to get people to come forward and say that this is a terrible idea and criticize the show before it opened on Broadway?

Even if the concept does not appeal to you, it has the potential of bringing a younger generation to Broadway (through another show besides Wicked) because children will see people their own age performing onstage. People are so quick to lump it into the same category as High School Musical. According to shesamarshmallow, who claims to have seen it, it doesn't compare. So I am wondering who here has actually seen it that is trying to make these comparisons.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 8/15/08 at 03:50 PM

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#18re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 3:54pm

Jaystarr has he posted a 10/10 review a while back.

thevolleyballer
#19re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:04pm

If you saw it in LA, you would not be interested. Similarly, if you saw it at Bryant Park yesterday, you would not be interested to an even greater degree.

COOOOLkid
#20re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:05pm

Who wouldn't take a time machine to see the Last 5 Years?

Not I.
I'm not a huge fan of his score.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#21re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:08pm

"If you saw it in LA, you would not be interested. Similarly, if you saw it at Bryant Park yesterday, you would not be interested to an even greater degree."

I didn't realize you could speak for everyone.

It's one thing if you actually saw the production, but it is a shame that some people put down a show based on the Broadway in Bryant Park performances, which often are not the best representations of the show. I have seen some bland Bryant Park performances of stellar shows.

The kids involved are obviously putting a lot of time and effort into the production, and as I said, it has the potential to introduce a younger generation to Broadway. If you are not interested at this point - don't see it! Don't make threads solely to shame the musical. There are plenty of other shows waiting for your money.

I'm sure I'd get attacked if I made a thread like this for In the Heights or Light in the Piazza.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 8/15/08 at 04:08 PM

Kev14 Profile Photo
Kev14
#22re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:11pm

I dont think anyone was bashing or attacking this show; rather, expressing their own interest in it. It's okay for people to have different interests, talk about them etc.

I personally hope that it does bring a new audience to Broadway but I am a little upset that their cheapest ticket is about $76. This is likely to exclude the people from seeing the show who would have the most to gain from it: teenagers

On a side note: I for one loved the Little Mermaid :-P

SporkGoddess
#23re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:12pm

I don't like what I've heard of it, minus "What It Means to be a Friend."

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#24re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:14pm

I have no desire to see the show and I dont think its going to last very long. It has flop written all over it.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Videos