News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jovie27

jovie27 Profile Photo
Member Name: jovie27
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

"Sleeping with someone" in order to get the job!
 Jan 17 2012, 12:18:00 PM
I saw SMASHED the other night and when watching it, I couldn't help but think who really did sleep with the director, producer, etc just to get the job?
How to Succeed hits 250th Performance!
 Nov 6 2011, 09:27:15 PM
maybe he's married!
How to Succeed hits 250th Performance! Is that a ring on Daniel's finger?
 Nov 6 2011, 06:50:45 PM
http://broadwayworld.com/article/FREEZE-FRAME-HOW-TO-SUCCEED-Celebrates-250th-Performance-20111105

Is that a ring on Daniel's finger??? Cool!

Stephanie J. Block begins performances in ANYTHING GOES today
 Nov 6 2011, 06:48:54 PM
Zepka...sorry...just had to say you are really,really cute...and glad you enjoyed the show!
Sister Act mystery
 Nov 5 2011, 01:52:07 PM
TIMES I lol at that one...that was funny!
Sister Act mystery
 Nov 5 2011, 01:13:57 PM
No, but here is another mystery...why does the R curve downwards towards the right?
MAME at Goodspeed...
 Nov 5 2011, 01:12:49 PM
Kirstie Alley will play MAME!

Funny Girl engagements in L.A. and Broadway postponed
 Nov 3 2011, 10:55:40 PM
100 bucks says that between now and February they announce that Funny Girl will open the CTG season come fall and Lea Michelle will star after-all, because Lauren Ambrose schedule now conflicts!
Elf the Musical CD coming this November!!!
 Nov 1 2011, 10:23:38 PM
How is the recording? I never saw the show, but a big fan of Holiday Themed shows and music. I don't get money until after Xmas to spend on a CD, but want to know how it is before I get it!
Any Word On What's Going Into Studio 54?
 Oct 22 2011, 04:41:59 PM
http://broadwayworld.com/article/Tommy-Tunes-FIFTY-FOUR-FOREVER-to-Premiere-at-Jerry-Herman-Ring-Theatre-119-19-20111022

New PORGY AND BESS artwork
 Oct 12 2011, 02:29:29 AM
Well, it's better than FUNNY GIRL!
I had no clue Hugh Jackman time travels...
 Sep 30 2011, 02:12:17 AM
According to PLAYBILL.com, this is how they bill HUGH JACKMAN LIVE ON BROADWAY:

"Production: Hugh Jackman: Back on Broadway starring Hugh Jackman, with musical staging and choreography by Warren Carlyle.

Advertisement

Previews: October 25, 2011

Opening: November 10, 2011

Previews: January 1, 2011

Venue: Broadhurst Theatre, 235 West 44th Street, New York, NY 10036"

BodyGuard Musical with Heather Headley!! Brilliant!!
 Sep 8 2011, 10:12:49 PM

According to The Daily Mail's Baz Bamigboye, Tony Award winner Heather Headley will once again be headed back to the stage: this time filling the shoes of Whitney Houston's role in THE BODYGUARD, which is being adapted for a West End theatre.

A workshop for the musical was held a few weeks ago, and another - also starring Headley - will take place in January, with an opening night tentatively slated for late autumn.

Thea Sharrock is set to direct; Alex Dinelarius has penned the book, which is not a carbon copy of the film, though it reportedly retains some of its memorable soundtrack hits.

Tony and Grammy Award winner Headley was born and spent most of her childhood on the beautiful Caribbean island of Trinidad. In 1997, Ms. Headley, a Northwestern University alum, won the role of Nala in the original Broadway cast of the Elton John and Tim Rice's hit Tony winning musical The Lion King. Her portrayal of the Nubian princess, Aida, won her the praise of critics and the Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical. In addition to other awards, she also received the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical. That year she was listed as one of People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People and Essence Magazine's 30 Women To Watch.

Headley continued her Broadway success on the pop charts with her 2002 debut album on RCA Records, This Is Who I Am which featured productions by several top-flight producers including Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis and Shep Crawford. Two songs, the single "He Is" and the album track "I Wish I Wasn't," both emerged as Top 5 R&B and Dance chart hits. She earned numerous accolades for This Is Who I Am, including Grammy Award nominations for Best New Artist and Best Female R&B Vocal Performance. At the Soul Train Lady of Soul Awards she won dual honors: R&B/Soul Album of the Year and Best R&B/Soul or Rap New Artist. She also received nominations at the NAACP Image Awards for Outstanding New Artist and Outstanding Female Artist, and BET Awards in the "Cool Like That" category.

In January 2006, Ms. Headley returned with In My Mind, her long-awaited second solo album, once again working with an A-list of producers, among them Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Ne-Yo, Warryn Campbell, and Lil' Jon. The title track became Headley's first #1 hit, topping the Dance charts. She took her first foray into the gospel music world in 2009 with the release of her third studio album Audience of One, for which she was awarded the Grammy Award for the Best Contemporary R&B Gospel Album.

Over the past few years Ms. Headley has also displayed her versatility as one of classical star Andrea Bocelli's favorite singing partners. She has been featured in many of his American and international tours, his "Live In Tuscany" PBS special, and his "Under The Desert Sky" live concert DVD.

Read more: http://broadwayworld.com/article/Tony-Winner-Heather-Headley-to-Star-in-THE-BODYGUARD-Musical-20110908#ixzz1XK635JpK

Newsies advance presentation
 Sep 3 2011, 08:14:07 PM
You know what is funny KILL is that me and a friend of mine were having this exact same conversation about gym bodies etc with How To Succeed. He was pissed that Chris Hanke (even though he is nice to look at), was tonned and good shape for the role of FRUMP. My friend wanted a real "character actor" for the part; friend was mad that they all are hunky, but though some costumes pieces on him that make him look nerdy or weird and there you go.

Also, on that same subject I am a casting

ANYTHING GOES cast recording released on iTunes
 Aug 23 2011, 03:09:17 AM
"I listened to the clip of "You're The Top" and I was very disappointed about how canned and phony it sounded, compared to a video of it that I had watched online..."

I personally enjoy the entire recording...but at moments I can see why you think it is canned and phony sounded....if I remember correctly, the orchestra recording was first and then the performers came in and recorded the vocals. So, the entire orchestra and performers were not in the same room at the same time as the rec

Ricky Martin starting vocal rehearsals for EVITA
 Aug 19 2011, 08:56:25 AM
I love looking at these pics that really have no clue if they are even real. I just see a score on a desk. Who knows if it's even Ricky's private home or whatever...for all I know it could have been taking somewhere and just posted as him starting vocal rehearsals.

Also, the score does indicated a version from 2010, so who knows, maybe this is old...ok I am done...just tired and now this makes no sense...

LOL

From Novel, to stage/film, or film/stage...why?
 Aug 18 2011, 12:55:35 PM
Phyllis...that really cracked me up....omg I am so going to tell him.
From Novel, to stage/film, or film/stage...why?
 Aug 18 2011, 12:50:22 PM
I asked a friend of mine the other day if he was interested in seeing WICKED and or CATCH ME...he replied with a big fat "NO". I asked him why.

He said "Because, if I wanted to know about the story they are telling, I would pick up the book and read it or watch the film...I don't need a stage version to tell me the same story that I already know from the film or novel. Besides the book and film tend to be much better because it stays true to the story much more than a stage-version ever

"The Bible"????
 Aug 16 2011, 06:05:54 PM
http://broadwayworld.com/article/SPIDER-MANs-Philip-William-McKinley-Michael-Cohl-to-Take-On-THE-BIBLE-20110816

The national buzz surrounding SPIDER-MAN, TURN OFF THE DARK may have died down, but that doesn't mean that the audience is any less wild about the show - or the stops, according to director Philip William McKinley.

"Maybe it’s the reality TV factor, but when we stop, the audience goes nuts," he tells Deadline.com. "They love it because it is reality. If the show isn't perfect, what's wrong that that? The same thing could happen with The Bible."

Yes - The Bible. McKinley and producer Michael Cohl have set their sights on a new project now that SPIDER-MAN is running smoothly: a musical that uses aerialists and jugglers to take its audience through biblical times.

THE BIBLE: THE BEGINNING has the aid of composers Michael Levine, Matt Rawlings and Ryan Bevridge, along with lyricist Maribeth Derry and a book by Shaun McKenna. It's not headed for Broadway, but rather on an arena tour following an initial semi-permanent launch in an as of yet undetermined arena.

The idea, says McKinley, stemmed from a conversation with Judy Kaye, who among a myriad of Broadway roles won the 1988 Tony Award for playing Carlotta in THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. "I told her I’d done The Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur, and she said, well, there’s nothing left then but The Bible," McKinley said. "The more I thought about it, I realized that we could take these stories that have big morality themes and put them in a style of contemporary performance."

Audiences should expect the same level of aerial stunts as SPIDER-MAN, TURN OFF THE DARK, but McKinley will help design them - something he had to restructure when he took the helm for SPIDER-MAN.

"Because I’d been around the circus for 20 years, I knew exactly how and why those accidents were happening. If there are five steps involved in an aerial segment, you must never go out of order," he said. Drawing on his experiences with the circus, McKinley redesigned many of the stunts. "In the circus, I would create a model of the show, and every time we had a wire attached to a person, each department head watched what I was planning and told me if it was possible. Once, I had a flying act with 32 tie-down lines and it took 8-minutes to get it ready. You can’t rush that, so I found an 8-minute production number to fill the time. The first thing we did when we restructured Spider-Man was sit down with every person in every department. On every flight, we said, what this does to your world? Is it possible?"

That's not to say that the risk is eliminated entirely; the Department of Labor still visits the show nightly, according to McKinley. But, he stresses, that comes with the territory: "These kind of shows will always carry risk. It's not Peter Pan; we’ve got guys going 40-45 mph, circling the theater in 5 seconds in stunt and thrill flying sequences. If one of your main guys goes out over the audience after eating a steak dinner and a milkshake, that extra weight on him is going to throw off the flying. You have to be aware of everything."

With SPIDER-MAN's relative success - selling just behind consistent top sellers WICKED and THE LION KING on a weekly basis - McKinley looks to eventually push for the show's future beyond Broadway. In the mean time, however, he's happy with where the show is. "We are in a golden age of theater in New York and I wish more journalists and critics would realize it," he says. "Spider-Man doesn't have to be The Normal Heart or The Book of Mormon, there's room for all of it. And spectaculars like Spider-Man are necessary if we are to expand this art form. My favorite moment with Spider-Man was being in the lobby and watching two 8-year olds pretending to web each other. One stopped and said, ‘Isn't this the best Broadway show ever?' The other kid agreed and said, ‘I can't wait to see the next one.' There's your future audience."

Read more: http://broadwayworld.com/article/SPIDER-MANs-Philip-William-McKinley-Michael-Cohl-to-Take-On-THE-BIBLE-20110816#ixzz1VESCMJCR

Reeve Carney to start shooting new film in November.
 Aug 16 2011, 01:12:45 AM
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/153675-Spider-Man-Star-Reeve-Carney-Will-Play-Jeff-Buckley-in-Upcoming-Film

Reeve Carney, who stars in the title role of Broadway's Spider-Man Turn Off the Dark, has been cast as Jeff Buckley in the forthcoming “Untitled Jeff Buckley" film.

Jake Scott will direct a screenplay by Ryan Jaffe.

The filmmakers hold a robust rights package that includes the exclusive rights to Buckley's music and personal archives; Buckley’s mother, Mary Guibert, serves as executive producer. Michelle Sy and Orian Williams are producing, with Alison Raykovich serving as associate producer.

The film, according to press notes, will "chronicle the life of Buckley, one of the most critically acclaimed musical artists of his time, who died tragically at age 30 in a drowning accident in Memphis, Tennessee’s Wolf River." Production will commence in New York and Memphis in November.

Advertisement
In a statement Guibert said, "We are over the moon that Reeve has agreed to take on this challenging role. I've seen him perform several times...he's been getting ready for this all his life. It certainly doesn't hurt that he looks so much like Jeff."

Director Scott added, "We are excited to have found in Reeve the perfect combination of musical prodigy, impish charm, innate intelligence & sensitivity to play Jeff."

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You