News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Lance2

Lance2 Profile Photo
Member Name: Lance2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Mary Poppins - Australian Cast Recording
 Jul 2 2010, 07:45:10 PM
This is the actual songlist for the dutch recording:
1. Proloog (Prologue)
2. Chim Chimmenie (Chim chim cher-ee)
3. Kersenboomlaan I (Cherry Tree Lane I)
4. Vlug maar Nanny (The perfect Nanny)
5. Kersenboomlaan II (Cherry Tree Lane II)
6. Tamelijk voortreffelijk (Practically perfect)
7. Elke dag een fijne dag (Jolly holiday)
8. Kersenboomlaan (reprise)-Echtgenote van (preprise)-Elke dag een fijne dag (reprise) (Cherry Tree Lane (reprise)-Being Mrs. banks-Jolly Ho

re: Sunset clip from German TV show
 Jun 25 2008, 09:16:23 PM

This is a promo photo of Simone Kleinsma as Norma.

Jun 25 2008, 09:12:54 PM
Ahoy is concerthall in Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

Musicals in Ahoy is said to be the biggest musical concert in the world. I don't know if it's true but the production used it as a tagline for the first edition in 2002. They said it was so big that they could only do a concert like this once every five to ten years. It's now 2008 and we've had Musicals in Ahoy '02, Musicals in Ahoy '04 and Musicals in Ahoy'06. The next edition will be next year, 2009.

The first edition was s

Jun 24 2008, 08:20:21 PM
The Sunset Boulevard production that is connected to the first youtube vid with Simone Kleinsma (and Pia Douwes) is purely a dutch tour, NOT a European tour. I haven't heard about any European tour. The Dutch production might go to Belgium at the end of the tour, but that's not sure for now.
re: any musicals that would be better as PLAYS?
 May 24 2008, 06:49:58 PM
Just a month ago I finished a Dutch translation of Company turned into a play. It was amazingly fun to do although it felt weird to turn sondheims lyrics into monologues.

The first reading with the cast is in two weeks. I hope it will work as good as we (the director and me) thought it wil.

The music of Company is good, but I don't really feel that the music adds that much to it. Especially Barcelona and Getting married today turned out beautiful as dialogue/monologue.

re: Frankenstein the musical
 May 18 2008, 08:17:17 AM
The dvd that is somewhere out there was meant for potentional producers. It was the full show staged in a studio with the cast of the concept recording.

There wasn't a production, just that video.

re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
 Apr 21 2008, 08:20:03 PM
Above: One of the new press photo's from the current Berlin production.

Here Pia sings a song from the dutch version. Fabulous performance: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=x69i_u-7elU

re: Casting Yourself In Things You Direct?
 Mar 25 2008, 08:27:00 AM
I once saw a show where the director wasn't only the director and lead. He was also the lightning designer, set designer, choreographer, sound designer and costume designer...

As you can imagine, it was a horrible production.

Don't want to do to much. Directing youself is incredibly hard.

re: de Kleine Zeemeermin [Dutch Mermaid] Question
 Mar 17 2008, 07:01:56 PM
Den Lille Havenfreu? That doesn't even sound like De Kleine Zeemeermin... That's definately not a dutch recording.

This pic is a pic of the cover...

Mar 17 2008, 08:30:26 AM
If you've seen a clip with Kathleen Aerts you've seen a clip of the official dvd. She's from Belgium, but only did the Dutch version (just to make it complicated). I've seen her live and she was definatel off key. Even on the dvd she is, perhaps not on 'Geef me vleugels' but I don't exactly remember since I never watch it, it's for collection purposes...

Belgium and Holland are next to each other. The language is 99% the same.

But if you like Kathleen Aets you should definately hear Free Souffriau from the original recording.

The Studio100 version of Robin Hood is very very different from 'Robin Hood das musical' which is Geman. The composer's name is Johan vanden Eede, makes it easier to google...

"Thanks for all of the info so far. I'm surprised somebody knew something, let alone so much!! "

Coming from Holland really helps...

Mar 16 2008, 03:47:54 PM
And without all the fabric around her...

It was very well done, the first time when I saw the show in Antwerp I couldn't even see how it's done. While in Wicked it's pretty obvious.

Mar 16 2008, 03:42:36 PM
It's like Mermaid-on-a-stick.

It works like a lever. On one side is the actress attached, on the other side two stage hands who balance her up and down. The stagehands stay in the dark.

I tried to draw it, but my drawing skills are awful, hahaha.

Mar 16 2008, 12:44:03 PM
First things first, here's a link to the show's recordings on castalbums.org. This are all the officially released recordings: http://www.castalbums.org/shows/2635

This version of The Little Mermaid is an original flemish (from Belgium) musical by production company Studio100. It ran for aproximately one month in Antwerp during Easter, 2004. The reviews were awfull and of the seven shows that Johan vanden Eede wrote for Studio100 this is the worst by far (their Robin Hood version was one of the best I've seen).

At the end of 2004 the Dutch themepark Efteling produced a new version of The Little Mermaid. They want to try to get the kinks out of it to make it good. They didn't make it good, just better than the original. Which wasn't very hard.

The musicals by Studio100 take fairytales and make them a little different. In this version the seawitch has a butt ugly daughter. At the end the seawitch sends her daughter up to the surface with the mermaid's voice to get the prince, so she'll be Royalty. At the end it turns out that the Mermaid was a human once.

In the staging concept there are no wires. No one is hanging in the air like that. It has something to do with hydraulics. The problem was that the show was hard to light and turned out extremely dark. Still it has some very good moments.

The song 'Geef me vleugels' means 'Give me wings'. I can hear you think: 'Why would a mermaid want wings?' Well, I thought the same. Still the song is catchy. There's also a very, very catchy love duet called 'Dit is liefde (This is love)'which is great and reprised in minor at the end under title 'Ken je me nog (Do you still know who I am)'. The daughter of the Seawitch sings a hilarious tango called 'Waarom vind ik toch geen man (Why don't I find myself a man)'.

The original Flemisch cast recording should be available although I don't exactly know where. It features a few amazing singers especially the parts of the Mermaid and the prince.

There's also a dvd of the revised show in themepark Efteling. You can order it via www.soundofmusic.de. This version features a 'not so good cast'. Especially the Mermaid and the Prince are off key, a lot! But the Seawitch on this dvd is wonderful. The dvd also features four scenes from the original production as a bonus, with the original Flemish cast. There are no subtitles on this disc.

If you really like the music you should give the cast recordings of Studio100’s Robin Hood and Doornroosje (Sleeping Beauty) a try.

Mar 13 2008, 08:33:21 AM
The Vienna sets are just a circus. Literally. I don't get the politics in it. Seeing a full restaurant set on bumper cars or a bunch of prostitutes on a caroussel just makes it goofy to me.

I overall prefer the Essen version.

I still think the funiest part is that in Austria, Swiss and Germany the first cast Elisabeth has always been Dutch...

Mar 12 2008, 02:11:21 PM
I love this musial and seen it several times.

Pia Douwes told me in an interview two years ago that she preferred the Essen version from 2001.

Personally I hate the original Vienna version for as far as it concerns the horrible sets. I guess if you’re from Germany or Austria you’ll ‘get it’, to me it was just awful. They released an official dvd with the complete Vienna show in 2005. It features Maya Hakvoort as Elisabeth (she’s played the part in Vienna since Pia left) and Mate Kamaras as The Death (He’s a hunk, but he's off key a lot!)

I think the 2006 cast recording (red cover, white logo) is the most complete to get. It sounds less dated. The original 1992 cast recording sounds as if it’s 25 years old.

Personally I love the Dutch version, with Pia performing the songs in her own language. But the dutch cast recording is a very flat studio recording. There’s also a Dutch soundboard of the first preview floating around which is very good.

There’s a very good synopsis on this site: http://www.theatre-musical.com/

PS. There’s an English demo of the musical Rebecca with Pia Douwes as Mrs. Danvers, Maike Boerdam as Ich/I and Uwe Kroeger as Maxim de Winter. It gives a good impression of the show.

PPS. Picture of Pia as Elisabeth and Addo Kruizinga as Rudolf in the dutch version of Elisabeth.

re: Into the Woods Demo
 Mar 7 2008, 09:09:37 PM
Not completely the same. Kim Crosby, Maureen Moore and John Cameron Mitchell as Jack are on the demo for sure.
re: Cyrano vs. It Ain't Nothin' but the Blues (March Madness, Round 1, game
 Mar 5 2008, 03:10:45 PM
Without a doubt: Cyrano.
What do you thinks about Disney TARZAN?
 Mar 2 2008, 01:14:57 PM
I think it’s exceptionally fun to read all those comments about another continent that you’ve never even set foot on?

“That's because Europe is a musical theatre wasteland.”

Ever seen a show here?

“I apologize to the good people of Europe, but given the way they flock in droves to such dreck as the french "Romeo & Juliet" and "Gone With The Wind," as well as other musical like "Atlantis" and "The Ten Commandments," in conjunction to their unyielding affection for Fran

re: A DISNEY MUSICAL I WOULE LIKE TO SEE ON BROADWAY
 Jan 24 2008, 01:57:59 PM
I think Enchanted would be very hard to do as a full musical. True, the songs in the movie are wonderfull but it's a very important part of the movie that she stops singing.

I'd love to see The Hunchback. A few years ago I saw a production done in a church which was amazing. I'd love to see it as a full production.

Hercules could be fantastic too.

re: Favorite Wild Party
 Jan 23 2008, 09:22:12 PM
A few days ago I've seen a production of LaChiusa's Wild Party. It was horrible.

So I would say Lippa's version is more accessible. Although LaChiusa's version is more daring. I still prefer LaChiusa's other scores over his Wild Party.

I prefer Lippa. Personally...

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You