Frankenstein the musical

jackson992
#1Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/17/08 at 1:42am

Has anyone seen this or familiar with it? I think the music is wonderful and was wondering how it did. This is the version with Hunter Foster I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/Frankenstein-Musical-Original-Cast/dp/B00006BN11

is the one I am talking about

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#2re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/17/08 at 1:48am

That particular recording is the CONCEPT ALBUM for the piece, released several years ago - long before it took to 37 Arts. This album features Ivan Rutherford as Victor, Shuler Hensley as The Creature, in place of Hunter Foster and Steve Blanchard. I have been following this show since it's beginnings, and have this album in my posession. The transfer from 'this' to Off-B'way was long and troublesome, and ultimately, became a 'cult favorite' and 'clunker' amongst everyone else. I for one LOVE the show, and will continue to do so. Whether you care to believe it or not, there are STILL mummers of a NEW recording featuring the 2007 Off-B'way cast.

jackson992
#2re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/17/08 at 1:50am

I would love to hear another version of this show. On the concept album Victor and the monster are just incredible.

Little-Lotte Profile Photo
Little-Lotte
#3re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/17/08 at 1:54am

According to the show's website, the Off-Broadway cast recording will be released in Spring 2008. There are excerpts from it that you can listen to on there as well!

DidYouReallyHearMe
#4re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/17/08 at 2:00am

The cast recording has been in the works since the show ran in December. However, they did in fact record it in November of 2007. It's just like Lestat and Dracula, recorded, but packed away i archives and will not be released.

jackson992
#5re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/17/08 at 2:02am

Which website? KInd of confusing with all the different versions out there LOL

DidYouReallyHearMe
#6re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/17/08 at 2:04am

www.frankensteinthemusical.com

jackson992
#7re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/17/08 at 2:06am

thx I wasn't sure if that was the same show lol

jackson992
#8re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/17/08 at 3:22am

That was an interesting listen. Some interesting changes since the concept version tho ultimately I liked the concept version a lot better.

For some reason I always seem to like the concept albums better, at least for this show, Jekyll & Hyde and Little Mermaid. Is it just the concepts won't work on stage?

Little-Lotte Profile Photo
Little-Lotte
#9re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/17/08 at 4:09am

Actually unlike Lestat and Dracula the possibility of this being released are about 90% now. The official site wasn't updated until a few weeks ago where they began stating that it would be released and, as is obvious by the tracks, it has already been cleaned/mixed.

My contacts that were involved in the show are actually confident that it will be released. Though I believe that Spring 2008 was a bit premature of a release date. I wouldn't expect anything until the Summer.

jackson992
#10re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/17/08 at 4:12am

There is a spot to sign up for the cd to get it when it comes out so you think they would still be releasing it. I really want to grab this version as well:)

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#11re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/17/08 at 7:33am

I would love to have ti as well, jackson. But as has been pointed out on several threads, signing up for information when it becomes available does NOT guarantee that it will be released. A legit pre-order where you provide a method of payment is more of a guarantee.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Yankeefan007
#12re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/17/08 at 8:37am

Horrible.

jackson992
#13re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/18/08 at 2:10am

wow Yankee you didn't like it? Both versions?

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#14re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/18/08 at 2:33am

jackson, the CONCEPT RECORDING is *just that* ... a concept RECORDING. It was never fuly-staged until the Off-B'way run.

jackson992
#15re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/18/08 at 2:52am

Yep I relaize that now. I still love it tho LOL

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#16re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/18/08 at 3:20am

are you deaf? just curious.

jackson992
#17re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/18/08 at 3:30am

You cannot deny that the voices on the Concept recording are phenomenal.

DidYouReallyHearMe
#18re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/18/08 at 6:12am

i LOVED the Off-Broadway show. I thought it was absolutely incredible.
However, some of the lyrics were better on the concept album. The lyrics got lost and wordy in the Off-Broadway run.

And the show was in fact staged prior to Off-Broadway. When Frankensteinthemusical.com was originally made to promote the concept CD they sold a DVD of a the production. I own it. This was made years ago. They also had PLENTY of photos and clips from the original stage show.

Yankeefan007
#19re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/18/08 at 7:14am

One of the worst musicals I've ever seen, featuring some of the most bizarre miscasting I've ever seen.

Lance2 Profile Photo
Lance2
#20re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/18/08 at 8:17am

The dvd that is somewhere out there was meant for potentional producers. It was the full show staged in a studio with the cast of the concept recording.

There wasn't a production, just that video.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#21re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/18/08 at 8:26am

Gotta agree with Yankeefan, the whole mess just sat there like a lump at 37 ARTS.
The score, on first hearing was so bland and the lyrics abysmall.
Christian Noll was the standout (of, course)
The talented Hunter was miscast and Blanchard as the Gay/Monster/Jock was headspinningly Bad.
And he was great in JOHNNY GUITAR.
I feel, if released this CD will sell about 500 copies if they are lucky.

tdl83
#22re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/18/08 at 8:34am

AGREED!!!! Not professional authors or production. You will never hear from any of these people again. Vanity production. If they do sell 500 cd's they'd be doing well.
Updated On: 5/18/08 at 08:34 AM

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#23re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/18/08 at 10:21am

One of the most boring shows I've ever seen. 10 minutes after leaving the theatre I couldn't even remember a single piece of music. The actors did a fine job, but that's about it.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#24re: Frankenstein the musical
Posted: 5/18/08 at 10:35am

The funny thing is that it opened around the same time as Young Frankenstein, so a lot of people probably got confused.
It's sad to see a great actor like Hunter Foster stuck in that dreck...maybe he would have been better than Roger Bart in the Brooks show.

Videos