News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for siny

Member Name: siny
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Best Play on Broadway?  Oct 26 2013, 12:08:17 PM
The Glass Menagerie is a must-see. The cast is incredible.
Why hasn't a caucasian Simba been cast?  Oct 20 2013, 10:49:52 PM
I saw it several years ago and don't even remember if the actors were black or white. Like someone said, they are all playing animals, so race should not matter.
Weird audiences at Glass Menagerie  Oct 20 2013, 10:47:23 PM
I saw it last Wednesday night and you could hear a pin drop it was so quiet. I feel sorry for the actors having to put up with this awful situation. Perhaps it was a bunch of kids on a school trip ?
Does Lola in kinky boots have to be played by an African American actor?  Oct 19 2013, 06:55:49 PM
"I am directing West Side Story in which every single person on stage is black."

Well, Tony's race was never specified and Puerto Ricans can be black too, so I don't see why not.

New understudy for Great Comet of 1812  Oct 17 2013, 02:32:39 PM
So, you would be OK with two white actors portraying the leads in Porgy and Bess ?
New understudy for Great Comet of 1812  Oct 17 2013, 01:11:24 PM
No, Amber Gray was perfect for the part. But Azudi just looked out of place in that setting. And, like others said, he lacked the swagger and, while he is good-looking, he is not "hot". Sorry, but he was definitely a weak link in the otherwise stellar cast. Like I said, I hope he finds something more suitable because he is clearly very talented.

Also, my remark about Natasha was about more than race. If the actress playing Natasha was not so beautiful it would not work. Natasha's

New understudy for Great Comet of 1812  Oct 17 2013, 12:45:26 PM
"If they were looking for physical authenticity, they would have only cast actors who look Russian."

I don't know that Russians have a specific look. The actress playing Natasha could have been Russian. Azudi...not so much.

New understudy for Great Comet of 1812  Oct 17 2013, 01:10:59 AM
Google him and tell me if he looks anything like Anatole is supposed to look. And before anyone says that looks don't matter, imagine if they cast a female equivalent of him in the part of Natasha. Would the show still work ?
New understudy for Great Comet of 1812  Oct 17 2013, 12:37:57 AM
I am glad they have a new understudy. Azudi Onyejekwe is very talented but he is all wrong for the part. Hopefully he'll find something more suitable for him. I wonder why they cast him in the first place - it's not like there is a shortage of actors who look the part.

Show Recommendations?  Oct 17 2013, 12:34:49 AM
I would not take her to The Glass Menagerie as it's aimed toward older audience and she would likely be bored. I would say that Book of Mormon is perfect for an older teenager, but I would check with her parents first. There is a lot there that some people would find offensive.
NATASHA, PIERRE AND THE GREAT COMET to Move to Tent on 45th  Sep 29 2013, 11:03:30 AM
That's who we got too. He is unquestionably talented, but I thought he did not fit the part at all (not because of his race). Strange casting.
NATASHA, PIERRE AND THE GREAT COMET to Move to Tent on 45th  Sep 29 2013, 10:22:07 AM
Who was the understudy ? We got understudy for Anatole too when I saw it.
NATASHA, PIERRE AND THE GREAT COMET to Move to Tent on 45th  Sep 27 2013, 09:25:26 AM
It's a communal seating, so you won't be sitting alone if that's what you're worried about.
The Glass Menagerie Reviews  Sep 27 2013, 09:22:41 AM
Here is the NY Post review and it's generally positive, but their opinion of Cherry Jones' performance could not be more different from the NY Times.

"We know all this because Jones, the Tony-winning star of “The Heiress” and “Doubt,” acts with a capital A. You always see the cogs whirring behind her affected performance. Boy, this pretending thing is a lot of work!"

Really looking forward to seeing this for myself.

NATASHA, PIERRE AND THE GREAT COMET to Move to Tent on 45th  Sep 25 2013, 08:59:17 AM
"You get a 2.5 hour musical: In an immersive, environmental setting, WITH an authentic meal in-tact! How is that not a wonderful night out?"

While I really enjoyed the show, the meal was neither authentic nor very good (it was edible, but that's about it). And from what I understand, they are planning to serve even less when they transfer. IMO they should do away with the meal altogether. It adds nothing to the show.

Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812 previews  Aug 30 2013, 03:59:02 PM
There is no choice. It's a set menu. Yes, you can buy additional food and drink, but it looks pretty pricy.
Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812 previews  Aug 30 2013, 03:32:30 PM
They also give you cold borscht in a tiny glass before the show.
Don't go there hungry because you'll leave hungry too.

NY Visit Help  Aug 15 2013, 11:57:58 PM
Magalamb, that's a great spreadsheet ! I'll save it for when someone visits me from out of town. Thanks !
Justin Guarini Blogs About New And Humbler Life In The Theatre  Aug 14 2013, 05:45:41 PM
"I don't know what his background story is, but it's fairly common for people from lower income backgrounds who suddenly come into money to blow it all fairly quickly."

Guarini comes from a well-to-do family. I don't know how much he made off of Idol though. It may not have been that much since it was only the first season and the show was not as popular as it had gotten later. And with the cost of living in LA, he may have gone through the money pretty quickly without any extravagan

Natasha, Pierre, & the Great Comet of 1812  Aug 9 2013, 11:42:27 PM
I just bought tickets for the last Sunday matinee, using Playbill discount code: PB1812 - $79. Is the alcohol included in the price ? I hate vodka...

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You