News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MVintheheartland

Member Name: MVintheheartland
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Sondheim/Ives HERE WE ARE @ The Shed  Sep 28 2023, 08:12:47 PM

Assuming I will wake up around 2AM like I always do,I will probably log in to read your reports. Have fun, everybody!

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread  Mar 29 2023, 06:19:58 PM

ljay889 said: "Very happy about these reviews, especially after Green’s gutting Company review last season.

I did have a feeling all along that the reviews wouldn’t match much of the disappointed reaction on here. I think sometimes expectations are so grand for Sondheim revivals, some are often disappointed when a production doesn’t reach what they cooked up in their head. I’ve felt this before myself when it comes to Sondheim revivals.

I

MERRILY will transfer next fall!  Mar 25 2023, 09:27:16 AM

I just got 2 tickets in dress circle on the side for $219 Sat Matinee, but wow, there was maybe 10 seats available in the whole theater. (okay I might be exaggerating, but still). I thought that maybe I just wasn't doing this right. 

Are they just not releasing all the tickets, or are scalpers buying them up? 

BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread  Mar 24 2023, 10:42:33 AM

I saw it about 2 weeks ago. It was just Meh. I feel bad for the leads because I thought they had good chemistry, but the whole production was just kind of dumb. And I actually flew in to see "Diana" before it closed just to enjoy the camp. But it just didn't seem to know what it was. Plus, the hunks, although fun to look at, didn't really seem to add to the show. 

Anyway, I hope Linedy Genao and Jordan are able to jump from this production to one that make better

Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)  Mar 16 2023, 01:31:34 PM

JasonC3 said: "Christmas came so early this year.

This + Merrily + Sweeney is a fall Sondheim trifecta.
"

#goals!

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting  Mar 16 2023, 01:29:40 PM

I saw the show at the Sunday matinee on 3/12. I found it absolutely thrilling. However, to be transparent, I am a “Sweeney Virgin”. Although I have seen quite a few Sondheim shows (some regional, some Broadway) I never got around to seeing Sweeney as I was busy getting married and having babies in 1979. I’m also not a musician or a singer.

However, I was just thrilled and moved by the production. Maybe not having anything to compare it with is a benefit. Groban’

Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl  Jul 17 2022, 08:09:56 AM

Tempted to go to NY just to see Julie. I just don’t trust the airlines right now that a scheduled flight will actually fly. Also, NYC in August is not my favorite time (heat). 

1776 Broadway revival cast for 2021  Jan 16 2022, 09:02:01 AM

dramamama611 said: "I am. Do I love this concept? Not really, but I love 1776 and the ART."

I assume it’s still gender switched? I am definitely interested. I know,this is an old thread, but considering what is going on in politics right now, I think recasting our “founding fathers” is pretty interesting. In case some of you haven’t noticed, our government is still pretty much run by old white men and their decisions about women are pathetic.<

DIANA Reviews  Nov 27 2021, 11:39:50 AM

I started watching it on Netflix. At first I was appalled at it, and then got hooked in. It’s a totally campy hoot. Love the Barbara Cartland character, and the “debut” of James Hewitt was hilarious. I am returning to NYC in January and have one show slot to fill, I’m thinking I may have to see it in person.

A diversión from viruses and politics.

PARADISE SQUARE Chicago Pre-Broadway Tryout - Previews  Nov 27 2021, 11:32:45 AM

It always amazes me how these posts become so contentious and devolve into insults sometimes. I think I’ll go back to Reddit.

Reading of New Sondheim Musical with Nathan Lane and Bernadette Peters  Nov 27 2021, 10:39:47 AM

I’m curious who or what is now responsible or owns his whole catalog of music and shows. His husband? (Who we don’t hear much about). A trust? Who controls the estate? 

WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020  Feb 21 2020, 10:18:23 AM

Based on the reviews and the photos here, I am going to pass. I did not realize how much  video was involved, seems to overwhelming for me. Video seems to be this new thing directors are using to "reimagine" show, including Oklahoma. (I thought Oklahoma was terrible and the video misplaced.). In "Network" it was very effective and relevant, but it looks here like we are just watching a jumbotron instead of a show. 

And what's with the rain? I saw "View from a Bridge" and also thought that was weird weird weird. (I know, "get off my lawn"  Again, I loved "Network", but geez, put the damn video camera down for this. 

Want creativity? Go see Hadestown. (and there is no video in it). 

Favorite Flop?  Nov 20 2019, 12:49:24 PM

Ledaero said: "Merrily We Roll Along. Duh."

Same here. God, I love the score. Book not so much 

Favorite Short Lived Musicals?  Jul 24 2019, 09:24:46 AM

Great Comet--saw it just the week before it closed. Scott Stangland played Pierre and was great. Also, loved Shuffle Along, I feel blessed that I saw it before it closed. Fabulous talent and dancing. I know, the book was a little convoluted, but still!

My first post! Need suggestions.  Jul 22 2019, 04:00:04 PM

Recently went to NYC with a friend who has cancer and this was kind of her "farewell tour". (I know, depressing). We chose Come From Away and Beautiful, both fun, and Come From Away is so uplifting. It's pretty hard to not get excited during Come From Away.

Is Tootsie Closing Next?  Jul 22 2019, 03:54:27 PM

I saw it in Chicago, maybe there were changes for New York, but I just couldn't get into it. It was built up as "the funniest show in a long time", but I just felt lukewarm about it, maybe the whole subject matter just bothered me. 

Hadestown Understudies  Jul 21 2019, 09:15:20 AM

To be honest, I think that there could be understudies for both Euridice and Orpheus. HOWEVER, I can't imagine there being an understudy for Hermes. Andre deShields is just so fantastic I would be quite upset to see his understudy. (I really NEED to go back to NYC to see it again!!) 

Audience Having a Bad Time?  Jul 21 2019, 09:07:54 AM

Oklahoma! The audience gave a rather half-hearted standing ovation (because that's what you do), and the cast was outstanding, but the "reimagined" production? The worst. The audience high-tailed out of there as soon as they could. My friend and I were just amazed at what a bizarre production it was.

Yes, I get that they are trying to show the formation of the United States as much uglier than we imagine. But between the "ballet", the weird dark video projec

OKLAHOMA! Previews  Jun 24 2019, 08:10:23 AM

Danielle49 said: "Saw it again last night — loved it even more the second time around. What a fantastic production. The cast was ON FIRE, especially Ali Stroker. Every time she was onstage, one of the band members just looked around, nodding and grinning, as if to say “yep, she’s the real deal.”"

I saw it over the weekend, and both my friend and I thought WTH with the second act? I sort get what the director was going for, the "exceptiona

Hadestown's commercial future  Jun 24 2019, 07:55:01 AM

Well, for sure it will run throughout the summer because of the Tony and the fall. Also, the grownups come in the fall. I saw it last weekend, and frankly I would fly back to New York TODAY to see it again if there was a danger of it closing. I could watch Andre Deshields slither around in his silver suit for 2 hours, personally. Furthermore, I thought the music was pretty "accessible"--Wait for Me, Living it up On Top, etc. 

I thought it was a great show, great music, g

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You