News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for kingjames2

Member Name: kingjames2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
 Mar 31 2024, 07:36:25 PM

Ken Billington should be on the list by now. Over 100 Broadway credits, including so many highs (the original Sweeney) and lows (The Red Shoes), yet his only Tony award came for Chicago. He’s one of the most influential designers still working today and has trained practically an entire new generation on his own. 

LEMPICKA Previews
 Mar 26 2024, 06:50:36 AM

The show is still under 2:35 with intermission, and I believe the line is back in. 

re: adding to running time and cost, the cost of adding a number (assuming the only effect is to make the runtime longer, as opposed to adding scenery or tech elements) is negligible. The show costs the same to run whether it’s 2 hours or 2 hours 55 minutes. Once you break the 3 hour mark, things get trickier, especially with an orchestra. But as long as the crew and orchestra are

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/3/24
 Mar 6 2024, 08:33:12 AM

Alexander Lamar said: "Anybody know Hadestown’s weekly nut?"

Not sure of an exact number but definitely one of the lowest of the musicals. I’ve heard below 700. 

Lempika Runtime?
 Mar 2 2024, 04:09:27 PM

Including intermission, it was 2:47 at williamstown (six years ago), 2:45 in La Jolla, and there have been substantial changes since LJ. The read was not remotely close to 3 hours, and I would expect the final run time to be close to advertised. It’s obviously hard to predict this early. 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/11/24
 Feb 13 2024, 03:51:28 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "lopside said: "How much does Wine and Roses cost to run? Can't be less than 500k?"

I don't think ANY current musical costs less than 600 nowadays (though someone please chime in with specificsfrom the past 6 monthsif that's not true).
"

Ironically, I believe Ohio's running costs were between 500 and 600. There are a few between 600 and 650, though not many. Wine and Roses also had an

HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO to close on February 11
 Feb 12 2024, 01:50:06 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: 

"Ohio will be lucky if it gets a Lincoln Center archival recording."

It was filmed by Lincoln Center last Thursday night.

Broadway Production Costs versus Tour Cost.
 Nov 28 2023, 09:59:06 AM

Timon3 said: "Well this is all very confusing and is more confusing than when I started.

I am going to use the megahit Hamilton as an example as it is recent and had 3 tours.

So the first tour was Angelica that started 03/10/2017 at San Francisco and concluded 08/25/2023 in Puerto Rico.

The Phillip Tour that started in Seattle on 02/06/2018 and is ongoing.

The Peggy Tour started at 01/08/2017 at Puerto Rico and concluded in Toronto 08/20/20

Broadway Production Costs versus Tour Cost.
 Nov 28 2023, 07:22:11 AM

I’m a designer with a tour out, and BlindButlerDeadMaid is 99% correct on all this. The one thing I will note is that (I think) the tours out on production contracts have no guarantee from the presenters- it’s much more like the broadway model. Producers get much more of an upside if it’s a hit but are on the hook for a lot more $ if it isn't (which is why even shows like Hadestown are out on a SET contract).

You can also see which tours are under which contracts by going to https://iatse.net/yellow-cards/. They list all the professional tours currently playing. 

Water for Elephants at the Alliance Theatre - Has Anyone Seen?
 Aug 29 2023, 12:41:09 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Broadway Flash said: "Isn’t that in front of the St James?"

YOU'RE RIGHT! Wrong side of the Shubert.

Which makes it even less probable that this is loading into a theatre.
"

99.99% of the time this is just an old label that didn’t get ripped off the road case, probably in this case from the Alliance run. Many out of town tryouts use NYC shops. 

Artificial Intelligence in the Theatre
 Aug 29 2023, 09:05:02 AM

BroadwaysBroad said: "kingjames2 said: "Just curious (as I am very familiar with the design for Hadestown) - could you elaborate on the mechanism or method by which you imagine AI would improve the design? Like if we say "AI could improve this," what do we actually mean by that?"

Hadestown is a beautiful show, unfortunately the lighting design is the weakest link. AI could have provided some fresh ideas and probably followed the music better.

Aug 25 2023, 03:50:10 PM

Just curious (as I am very familiar with the design for Hadestown) - could you elaborate on the mechanism or method by which you imagine AI would improve the design? Like if we say "AI could improve this," what do we actually mean by that? 

Aug 25 2023, 11:40:01 AM

BroadwaysBroad said: "Could AI be used to create the projection designs and set designs and lighting designs? Would that put a lot of people out of work?"

Broadway LD here. I have some thoughts.

My job involves a LOT of work beyond just content creation. Attending meetings, giving feedback on script development, helping the director with world-building, making collaborative design decisions, interfacing with other departments...there's so much of my job th

Another possible strike, but this one WILL effect Boadway
 Jul 19 2023, 09:45:33 PM
delete
 Jul 19 2023, 09:39:36 PM

HogansHero said: 
Another thing worth noting (although my recollection may be off and hopefully someone can confirm since it's been a while) is that, because the strike vote relates only to the pink contract (covering show only labor hired by producers) and not to the house stage hands who are employed by the theatre owner, a rental in a non-signatory house still binds the producer to the league contract. Likewise, an owner producing in an unowned venue is still just a produ

Jul 19 2023, 05:29:59 PM

PabloJuan said: "These are the only theaters that are not part of the Broadway League or Disney Theatricals and are not affected by the potential strike:

American Airlines Theatre - EMPTY

Circle in the Square Theatre - EMPTY

Helen Hayes Theater - the cottage

Hudson Theatre - Just for us

Lyric Theatre - Harry Potter

Samuel J. Friedman Theatre - EMPTY

Stephen Sondheim Theatre - & Juliet

Studio 5

Jul 19 2023, 05:20:22 PM

perfectpenguin said: "Playbill reports 28 of 30 shows will be affected. What are the 2 shows that aren’t?"

Camelot for sure - LCT is not a league member.

Possibly Playbill thinks that The Cottage, because it's in the Hayes, is being produced by SecondStage? But that's a commercial rental. I honestly don't know what the other show is - everything else playing right now seems at first glance to be a League or Disney show.

Jul 19 2023, 05:15:50 PM

PabloJuan said: "Is it possible that they settle a new contract with the Broadway league and not with Disney or vice versa? Has that ever happened? If they settled with the Broadway league, but not with Disney, would that mean that only certain Broadway shows would be shut down?"

In this particular instance, no. It's been a minute since my labor law class, but I believe that if an employer wants to leave a multiemployer bargaining unit (like Disney splitting off

Jul 19 2023, 02:06:26 PM

MarilynMonroeSmash said: "Would Off-Broadway shows then continue if there were to be a strike?"

Yes, off-Broadway would be unaffected. This is strike would only affect shows produced by the Broadway League/Disney in either New York City or on the road (ie: all Equity tours).

Fingers crossed the League comes to their senses (and back to the table).

2023-2024 Broadway Season
 Jun 14 2023, 01:01:04 PM

There was something about how Rachel wanted the Kerr for Lempicka. So maybe once Hadestown announces a closing? But she will also be focused on Gatsby."

yeah I don't know where that rumor about lempicka to the kerr came from but it's definitely false.

EVITA at the ART - Reviews
 May 30 2023, 03:08:29 PM

I would say a fall transfer is unlikely, given that the DC production would close in late October at the earliest. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You