EVITA at the ART - Reviews

A Justified Bean Profile Photo
A Justified Bean
#1EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/18/23 at 10:46am

Was anyone at the first performance last night?

The slotted spoon can catch the potato.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/18/23 at 4:20pm

I'm not going until mid- June. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#3EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/19/23 at 8:58am

Evita is one of my favorite shows. I would love to see this production with Shereen Pimental who I LOVED in the West Side Story revival. I saw the concert at City Center, and while Sammi Cannold definitely made some bold choices, I, personally, was a fan of most of them. I really hope this finds its way to Broadway.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#4EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/19/23 at 9:45am

EVITA at the ART - ReviewsEVITA at the ART - Reviews

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#5EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/19/23 at 9:48am

The design seems more or less the same as it was at Encores, though perhaps with some more embellishment. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#6EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/19/23 at 10:43am

Kad said: "The design seems more or less the same as it was at Encores, though perhaps with some more embellishment."

Looks like the only difference is not a giant triangle but a giant rectangle.

Hopefully the direction improved....

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#7EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/19/23 at 3:16pm

TaffyDavenport said: "EVITA at the ART - Reviews"

It’s very Carrie 1988. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#8EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/19/23 at 4:03pm

Looks interesting but also seems like a small scale Evita. Which I’m not mad at if the performances and direction warrant it. 

broadwayboy223
#9EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/21/23 at 7:27pm

After cancelling 30 minutes into the show last night apparently the understudy is going on tonight for Eva. Something must've happened to Shereen 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#10EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/23/23 at 9:50am

Selling a ticket for the Sunday May 28 2 p.m. performance. Front row right orchestra on aisle, $38.

MadsonMelo
#11EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/23/23 at 10:09am

From that set... there's a flowerish stairway that goes down eventually during the show?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#12EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/23/23 at 12:02pm

Yes, at Encores the levels rose up and down to create a stair like structure, a flat ground, or ceiling.  

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#13EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/23/23 at 12:40pm

Maybe they can re-use those stars for SUFFS when it eventually comes in ;0)

MimiChika
#14EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/26/23 at 10:17am

I saw the opening night at A.R.T. The show still needs some fixes here and there but overall I loved it. 
 I hated the city center production, and this one is way different and more elevated. The set is stunning and there’s some huge elevators on the set, makes the show so dynamic.The latine cast is pretty amazing and Shereen is a revelation, her vocals are perfection and thrilling. I’m sure it will transfer. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#15EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/26/23 at 9:40pm

Elevators? Can you explain? 

Usually the ART productions are fairly simple design wise so curious to hear more about this! The production photos look stunning to me. 

Globefan
#16EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/26/23 at 10:51pm

I'm sure they'll continue tweaking the production during the DC run too. 

MimiChika
#17EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/26/23 at 11:51pm

RippedMan said: "Elevators? Can you explain?

Usually the ART productions are fairly simple design wise so curious to hear more about this! The production photos look stunning to me.
"

There’s 2 elevators on stage. From what I saw props and actors come from underneath  the stage. It looks pretty amazing. Also there’s a giant Argentinian flag at the end of act one, is the entire length of the stage, it’s massive, it looks stunning. 
the production looks pretty expensive to me. 

MadsonMelo
#18EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/27/23 at 7:42am

I heard its certainly transfering, but don't know if the Zegler rumor is just a rumor.

MimiChika
#19EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/27/23 at 10:44am

MadsonMelo said: "I heard its certainly transfering, but don't know if the Zegler rumor is just a rumor."

I hope it transfers. There’s also a young Che/older Che concept that I found fascinating. Is definitely different. Plus Shereen is truly out of this world! Those vocals!!!

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#20EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/27/23 at 10:50am

If it does indeed transfer to Broadway, what theatre would this work in?

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

MimiChika
#21EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/27/23 at 11:12am

Dylan Smith4 said: "If it does indeed transfer to Broadway, what theatre would this work in?"

Imperial? 😎

SisterGeorge
#22EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/27/23 at 11:48am

MadsonMelo said: "I heard its certainly transfering, but don't know if the Zegler rumor is just a rumor."

If you mean it's transfering to DC's Shakespeare Theater Company, then you are correct. Recently announced as the 23/24 season opener. No cast listed.

Sister George

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#23EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/27/23 at 11:55am

Since Shakespeare Theatre is co-producing this production, it is coming to DC even if all the reviews are bombs. Now what happens after DC is what's up in the air.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#24EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/27/23 at 12:24pm

(I saw the Carrie coda as well.)

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Globefan
#25EVITA at the ART - Reviews
Posted: 5/27/23 at 1:04pm

I'm friends with a friend of one of the ensemble. He told me that Rachel is doing the Broadway run.