News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for weaselprince71

weaselprince71 Profile Photo
Member Name: weaselprince71
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Sweeney – Reviews
 Apr 4 2023, 02:22:06 AM

Sorry, I completely screwed up the quote attributions.  I was seconding TotallyEffed's (by way of Stritch) "WRONNNNNNG!", in response to the almost-certainly-unauthorized change described by morosco.

I'm seeing the show next week, so I can't yet say whether or not I'll agree with PhantomMickey's original statement "The ending felt pretty anticlimactic... is that how it always ends?" -- but if I do, I can only assume it'll be a p

Musical songs about warnings
 Apr 4 2023, 01:35:29 AM

"(Ya Got) Trouble" from The Music Man.  Along with its numerous parodies.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet; this seems like the obvious granddaddy of the "warning song" genre, even if the "person, place or thing" being warned-against -- a pool table -- is comically unworthy of all the fuss.  Or actually maybe because of that:  Hill's rabble-rousing really is pure "warning", unencumbered by any actual facts, reasonable inferences, or even any genuine concern for the people he's warning.

Lunt-Fontanne "Sweeney" vs. Signature "Pacific Overtures"
 Apr 4 2023, 01:00:36 AM

morosco said: "The ending felt pretty anticlimactic... is that how it always ends?

TotallyEffed said: "I saw a production of the show once where the ending was different and probably not an authorized change.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
 Mar 15 2023, 02:52:30 AM

g.d.e.l.g.i. said:  "Piggy-backing on what I said, let's be clear on what this revival is, as its press has been making it out to be: a love letter to the 1979 original. If you're coming expecting anything else, you're in the wrong theater."

I haven't been yet; I'm looking forward to seeing the show twice next month.  But while its nostalgia may extend to preserving the original keys for the story's dullest character (in both senses, both deliberate) -- still, nothing I've seen or heard so far suggests that this revival approaches the original staging or designs quite so reverentially.  Which is fine; I've been heartened by the upswing in enthusiasm here from folks who've seen it most recently and noted improvements from the earliest previews;  and I'm very much hoping I'll love Kail's production on its own terms.  But I'm not sure that just using the original full orchestration -- and finally giving the piece another NYC production that is not, in broad terms, experimentally (or pragmatically) miniaturized -- automatically makes it a "love letter" to the original (which isn't to say that both those choices aren't overdue and well worth celebrating).  Kail & co. do seem to think of it that way, which sounds hopeful, but all I've seen to support such an intention in visual terms so far is a bridge and a crane; it remains to be seen whether their homage, however sincere, succeeds as more than a handful of isolated gestures.

My fear has been that their revival might end up as a nervously-calculated attempt to appeal to both fans of the original (large theater, full ensemble & orchestra, a few token "industrial-era" scenic elements) and of the Burton movie (sexy leads, black-brick surround, godawful poster art) -- while tiptoeing gingerly around Hal Prince's unapologetically Brechtian political framework, which has fallen from favor ever since SJS began blessing ever-smaller productions on the basis of his original pre-Prince impulse (chamber-sized revenge thriller, claustrophobic pub-theatre scares).  However pure those intentions may have been, it's always seemed to me that Prince's epic scale and political animus ultimately found their way into the writing at a deep enough level that it's probably unwise to ignore them entirely; the Doyle and Tooting Arts versions were interesting and productive experiments, but they could never be definitive, because, in focusing exclusively on individual psychology at the expense of social context, these "teeny Todd"s left a significant chunk of the work unexplored.

Pace Sondheim Himself, Sweeney isn't a droll little fright-fest about a psychotically enraged serial killer and his besotted, amoral landlady.  More than that, it's an apocalyptic, resolutely unsexy vision of humanity (or at least, of humanity under capitalism), so deeply pessimistic that its pitch-black "humor" should elicit more shivering revulsion than actual laughter.  (The show, alarmingly, has never felt more timely).

All of which is my roundabout way of saying, I hope this production is indeed a love letter to Prince's 1979 original as well as Sondheim/Wheeler's.  It's clearly not a carbon copy -- which, again, is fine.  (I was just a few years too young to have seen it on B'way, but have spent countless hours over the ensuing decades obsessing over the original designs and going through the tour video with a fine-toothed comb -- and even a handful of photos from the new production are enough to establish that this ain't that).  But I hope it somehow manages to reconstitute, for 21st-century audiences, something of the original shock and awe, the expansive theatrical world-building and sheer overwhelm, that have gone pointedly missing from previous revivals (NYCO notwithstanding) of this show.

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
 Mar 2 2023, 11:41:01 AM

KJisgroovy said: "I understand how iconic the whistle is and I'm surprised they haven't come up with something different with a similar effect. However, as mentioned during the set discussion the original was set in a giant factory. The original production had a giant, real factory whistle.

Is there a reason that a production that has abandoned that concept retain the factory whistle aside from... it was in the original production? I haven't seen this productio

WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
 Aug 10 2015, 12:46:44 AM

trpguyy:  "Unrelated, are we all just ignoring the fact that this set looks almost identical to "Diner?""

Judging by the photo of Pask's model for Waitress (posted on an earlier page of this thread), and production pics of McLane's set for Diner, the resemblance isn't any stronger than one would expect:  both musicals are set in vintage diners, which means they're operating in the same di

Fun Home's sound design.
 Jul 5 2015, 09:41:09 PM

Hear, hear.

Nothing to add to your observations -- just that I entirely agree.

Prince of Broadway in Japan!
 May 29 2015, 04:25:41 PM

Brown is credited (in the OP's link) for Prince of B'way's "musical supervision and arrangements".  I wouldn't expect much (if anything) in the way of original composition, unless it's along the exceedingly-slender lines of the single original ditty ("God") composed by Himself for Sondheim on Sondheim a few years back.

As I understand it, PoB is very much a greatest-hits compilation -- that's its point, like SoS (or a little more c

The Flick returns to New York
 May 13 2015, 08:56:28 AM

http://f**kyeahgreatplays.tumblr.com/post/118694712921

(replace the asterisks)

5/26 Fun Home Ticket For Sale-Cheap!
 May 13 2015, 01:05:50 AM

Check your PMs.

The Flick returns to New York
 May 13 2015, 01:00:08 AM

Out of curiosity, I meant to check my watch on Saturday night as the performance was beginning, and again just as it ended, but forgot to do either.  My rough recollections are that the show started at least five minutes after the scheduled curtain time (as most do); that intermission seemed to lasted closer to twenty minutes than the scheduled fifteen (again, not uncommon); and that the show ended around 11:25.  (My watch said 11:30 when I finally remembered to check it, on the str

FUN HOME Reviews
 May 2 2015, 10:52:00 AM

A8: Just as a thought experiment, I'm honestly curious whether your response might be more positive if this libretto had been set to a new and beautiful score by a resurrected Richard Rodgers, instead of the music that Ms. Tesori has given us (or foisted on us, if you prefer).  Same book, more or less the same lyrics (altered as needed to fit classic golden-era song structures), altogether different music.  Even hypothetically, it's pretty impossible to imagine, on an

Fun Home Previews
 Apr 26 2015, 04:25:25 AM
Kad: "Sure, the reveal of the house is missed. But everything else that is revealed is more valuable." 
Indytallguy: "Eloquently said."

Agreed about the second part (i.e., a net gain overall).  But even the reveal of the house isn't missed by me -- at all.  I think the subtler way it comes together at Circle in the Square works infinitely better,  and thankfully so: its reveal at the Public struck me as confusingly bloated -- a case

Fun Home Previews
 Apr 14 2015, 04:18:37 PM

"Gushy moment of Fun Home appreciation to add to the bulging scrapbook of specific moments people like in the show: the way small Alison's "I can see all of Pennsylvania" is so subtly altered for the end of the show. [...] The way it suggests that the moment is now an object of the past, that Alison has settled on it and let it be, the way it's shifted from an open, exploring note with so much before it to a piece of personal history, something a long time ag

Fun Home Previews
 Apr 12 2015, 11:00:02 AM

Thank you, indytallguy.  When I saw FH downtown, I was less-enamored by it than I'd hoped to be, but it's been steadily growing on me ever since -- in recent months it's become my new obsession, particularly its score -- and the Broadway staging has utterly erased any remaining qualms.

Fun Home Previews
 Apr 12 2015, 09:27:24 AM

Eric and SF: yes, the graphic memoir is more careful to allow that Bruce's death might indeed have been an accident, as officially reported -- though even in the book, Bechdel makes it clear that she and her mother always thought otherwise.  (In short interviews, she sometimes simply refers to her father as having "killed himself," without further explanation). 

I agree that the book is somewhat more ambiguous than the show, and that that ambiguity is a good thing and eve

Sweeney Todd - A Little Priest Question
 May 25 2014, 12:19:24 AM
Oh lord, the rumpled-bedding argument, again. (No discussion of "By The Sea" ever seems to get very far without this debate arising). For the record, I personally think they haven't rumpled the bedding yet (and probably never will) -- she's deluding herself that that will happen, every bit as much as she's deluding herself about the seaside-wedding, picket-fence idyll to come. Both delusions are expressed as none-too-subtly dropped hints, and both are pointedly ignored by Todd. She's as deranged by her romantic/sexual fantasies as Todd is by his morbid ones, and never the twain shall meet, except as perversely well-matched business partners. In short, I agree with themysteriousgrowl -- "I sort of imagine Sweeney as barely eating, much less having sex..." . But that's just me.

As far as legality goes, I assume the "legal for two" line is shorthand for the impermissibility of an unmarried man and woman living together in Victorian England. Certainly the social "punishment" for such an arrangement would be disastrous to Mrs. Lovett's dreams of bourgeois respectability. And while I can't say for sure, it seems pretty plausible to me that it might have been technically forbidden by law as well: http://www.history.ac.uk/reviews/review/830

Sweeney Todd - A Little Priest Question
 May 18 2014, 06:00:12 PM
Funny, I always thought it was a roundabout reference to the phrase "[...in the words of] the Immortal Poet" -- suggesting, in this context, "how do you know whether you haven't perhaps stumbled onto a truly "immortal" poet who, to a slyly literal mind, would NEVER be 'deceased' ?"

Bit of a stretch, I know, but that's what I always thought.

Although, come to think of it, I guess the more usual phrase is "the Immortal Bard," almost always meaning Shakespeare specif

re: Cheesy Lines in Good Shows...
 Jun 1 2011, 01:20:36 AM
Help! It's been years since I saw HAIRSPRAY, and now I have to design Tracy's jail cell in such a way that the line makes sense:

"They can stop us from kissing, but they can't stop us from singing!"

How exactly are they being stopped from kissing?? The script says they "try" to kiss through the jail bars (and presumably fail). Are the bars really so close together that their LIPS can't touch??

Does anyone remember what this line referred to specifically? I'm

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You