News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for sskeats

Member Name: sskeats
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Intimate Apparel extends only for one week
 May 12 2004, 11:47:27 AM
Perhaps they're being cautious at the Roundabout or perhaps that new theater has another commitment and they need to find a new venue if they have to move Intimate.

I'm glad we have both I am my own wife and Intimate Apparel. I'm pleased now that IA is getting the attention it deserves. It seems that IAMOW was the only worthwhile straight play in a very narrow field. Now there's a bit more to talk about

IA is a beautiful, passionate play.

Intimate Apparel beats out two pulitzer prize contenders?
 May 11 2004, 10:55:59 PM
Am I reading the NY Drama Critics Circle Award right? I guess Intimate Apparel beat out I Am My Own Wife and Anna in the Tropics for best play of the year.

Was Anna in contention?

NY Drama Circle Award for Best Play of the Year
 May 11 2004, 05:57:07 PM
INTIMATE APPAREL BY LYNN NOTTAGE

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86113.htmlhttp://www.playbill.com/news/article/86113.html>http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86113.html

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
 May 4 2004, 03:47:52 PM
I would trade Marks for Brantley in less than half of an eye blink. And as far as Jefferson goes, not out of town, but back to teaching Silas Marner and Ethan Frome in public schools.

So those outer critics may not only have a better life, they might just have more critical sense. Certainly, better than the best plays nominated by the drama desk. Many of them far reaches and undeserving imho.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
 May 4 2004, 02:02:32 PM
I don't think you're answering my query. I know what out of town newspapers are. The issue is around national media and looking for an answer rather than opinions at this point. I can honestly say, I don't know.

National media to me would be USA Today, Time, Newsweek. How can you cover NY Theater without being here in New York?

Anyone know?

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
 May 4 2004, 01:46:49 PM
"The Outer Critics, comprising 75 writers who cover New York theater for out-of-town and national media, divides its categories for outstanding play and musical between Broadway and off-Broadway entries. All other categories are open to candidates from on and off the Main Stem."

The above is from Backstage and what appears to be ambiguous from Margo's quote and mine above is what comprises "National" media. I read national media as AP, UPI and national magazines like Times and Newsweek

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
 May 4 2004, 12:26:26 PM
And the Drama Desk can't possible mirror the Tony's in best play category. Most of the drama desk selection are off-off broadway and off-broadway in best play category.
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
 May 4 2004, 12:23:50 PM
Plum
I think you've got that wrong. The Outer Critics also includes critics from national media not just out of town.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What is the John Gassner award?
 May 4 2004, 12:20:34 PM
I hope they extend Intimate Apparel. I have some friends coming in from Cleveland for the summer who I think would adore this show. I believe the show is now scheduled to close first week in June. I don't know whether something new is coming in to that theatre and the show would have to move. Or whether Viola Davis has another committment. My expectations are that they will extend.But if you haven't seen it, better get going. It only has a month more in its run. Grand serious theatre.
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What is the John Gassner award?
 May 3 2004, 05:24:46 PM
I hope Viola Davis takes the Drama Desk award. The lady has the power of a Kim Stanley or a Geraldine Page. The Drama Desk nominating committee, for some strange reason didn't nominate Intimate Apparel itself. A strange oversight imho. After winning the American Theatre Critics Award, the Outer Critics Circle Award, the JohnGassner Award and a Pen Award for Nottage (which puts her in the company of Tony Kushner, Craig Lucas, Suzanne Lori-Parks, Richard Greenberg, Paula Vogel etc., Intimate Appa
re: re: re: re: re: re: What is the John Gassner award?
 May 3 2004, 03:01:44 PM
Barbara,

Wasn't Viola Davis phenomenal? One of the great performances in the last 5 years.
Wow!

Interested in seeing if the perfomance has grown. I saw it opening week.

re: re: re: re: What is the John Gassner award?
 May 3 2004, 02:36:47 PM
I paid full price for Intimate Apparel and it was worth it. I'd like to go again with friends. Do you think there's still a chance to get some rush seats for $20 bucks?
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
 May 3 2004, 01:51:24 PM
I was kind of surprised Viola Davis didn't take it over Eileen Atkins. An awesome, awesome performance.
re: re: What is the John Gassner award?
 May 3 2004, 01:48:21 PM
Thanks Margo,

Why do I keep wanting to associate the name with best plays of the year anthologies like the ones Burns Mantle use to put out?

So it's like most promising rookie award?

Intimate Apparel is very well crafted. Not a fledgling script.

What is the John Gassner award?
 May 3 2004, 12:46:54 PM
I see Intimate Apparel has won Outer Critics best off-broadway play...and the playwright herself has won the John Gassner Award. Who knows the background on that one and what does it mean?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You