News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ZoeM

Member Name: ZoeM
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Come From Away Rush
 Mar 3 2017, 05:16:09 PM

We got box seats via rush for this past Saturday matinee, and I was definitely happy with the view. We were in the closest box on the left, and we talked to one person in the box behind us who had also bought a rush ticket.

We didn't even line up at all; we got to the box office 30-45 minutes after it opened.

Newbie question: why do plays have such short runs?
 Apr 29 2014, 03:39:33 PM
Thank you all for the information! I really appreciate it.

How long does it normally take for a play to recoup? I was having trouble imagining any but the most successful actually making a profit in a limited 12-week run, so maybe that's part of the cause of my confusion. Do they generally need to earn a similar percentage of their gross potential in a given week (compared to musicals), in order to break even, or do their much lower costs more than make up for their lower revenue?

Apr 29 2014, 02:19:21 PM
Thanks for the insights! I hadn't even thought about visa issues.

Is there a reason plays can't just cycle through different famous actors/performers, like musicals seem to? I'm thinking of After Midnight and Cinderella in particular.

Apr 29 2014, 02:08:30 PM
I hope you'll forgive what may seem like a basic question!

Looking at the grosses every week, it seems like musicals often run indefinitely despite mediocre ticket sales, while plays stick to limited runs even when they're doing well. (I'm thinking of shows like Twelfth Night/Richard III, The Glass Menagerie, A Raisin in the Sun, Of Mice and Men.) Why do shows like this not run longer? In the case of some super-limited engagements, do they even have any hope of recouping at all?

Aladdin Previews
 Mar 10 2014, 06:36:14 PM
In the Toronto version I saw, there was a line at the beginning warning the audience that there were no talking animals here. But that was probably said by Babcak/Omar/Kassim, so I guess it's gone if they've been eliminated as narrators?
Aladdin Reviews
 Jan 8 2014, 07:24:31 PM
I was happy with whatever lights the ensemble carried in first, but once they carried in the planets and the moon changed into the earth, I just found myself laughing. The idea of flying all the way into space just made the song ridiculous, and it deserves better than that.
How Much Did You See/Spend on Theatre in 2013?
 Dec 26 2013, 08:54:00 AM
I've been lurking for a couple of months, but I'm so list-obsessed that I had to sign up to post in this thread. These are the shows I saw:

Cinderella - $89
Guys and Dolls (Shaw Festival) - gift
Once - gift
Kinky Boots - $60?
A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder - $49
After Midnight - $49
Buyer and Cellar - $31
A Christmas Carol (Virginia Theater Machine in Williamsburg) - free
Peter and the Starcatcher - $31
Fun Home - $35
Les Misérables (Toron

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You