News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for insomniak

insomniak Profile Photo
Member Name: insomniak
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Farewell, Sweeney!  Sep 4 2006, 12:31:17 AM
Who said I counted you among the fangirls, Isabella? I don't know anything about you.

Farewell, Sweeney!  Sep 4 2006, 12:19:19 AM
The day I saw this show was one of the happiest of my life, for so many reasons.

It's a pity to see they've all gone now.

I really think that Sweeney was a success story. No one expected such an artistically abstract show with a small cast, no dancing and no greet witches to last more than a couple of months. In light of the circumstances, Sweeney did very well and in staying open for almost a year, proved that serious art stil has a place on the New York stage. With Compan

re: Sweeney Todd; Filming starts Feb. 5th  Aug 17 2006, 09:30:51 PM
Lots of intelligent moviegoers still haven't warmed up to musicals, altoid.

I hate that the film industry seems to think that only people in New York and LA are worthy of good 'thinking' movies. I wanted so badly to see The Great New Wonderful, but did that come to Ohio? Of course not. If the cultural powers that be want Middle America to stop being so bland, they ought to learn how to share.

//rant.

I think Sweeney's niche will be Burton fans and people who ha

re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN  Aug 17 2006, 06:46:32 PM
If they want a name actress for Mrs. Lovett and if Helena Bonham-Carter hasn't already got her claws into the role by default, I vote Kate Winslet.

For those of us worried about Johnny's vocal ability:

re: Sweeney Todd; Filming starts Feb. 5th  Aug 17 2006, 11:46:57 AM
Burton's visions are quite singular and entirely one-note. So far all of his films have taken the same approach and I don't have a lot of faith in his ability to collaborate.

What's this about Danny Elfman? How does he factor in? This is a SONDHEIM musical. They don't need any more music. I know that the DeppBurtonElfman orgy has been going strong for sixteen years, but it's time to give it a temporary break.

re: Sweeney Todd; Filming starts Feb. 5th  Aug 17 2006, 11:28:30 AM
I've been sitting on my feelings about this, and I haven't found any more optimism.

Everything about Burton is wrong for this project. I love his work, I really do, but he makes cutesy-goth cartoons. Because it's a musical, people will already have a tough time taking Sweeney seriously, and Burton's tone will only make that worse.

Johnny could honestly act his way out of a paper bag. I think he'll be good, but not great because he'll be doing it with a Burtonesque mentality. <

re: Happy birthday to one of our best playwrights...  Jul 16 2006, 02:02:47 PM
I was suprised too, Corine.

Bumping this thread. Where did all the love go?

Happy birthday to one of our best playwrights...  Jul 16 2006, 11:17:12 AM
Tony Kushner! He's 50 today.

Also, in case this passed unnoticed:

http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2006/06.07.01a.html

Congratulations, Mr. Kushner, on the Academy invite.

re: Les Miz Tour - Which Version?  Jun 28 2006, 12:54:20 AM
It's complete. I don't know if the sets are scaled down or not, but it is the entire show.

I didn't know they abridged it on Broadway. When? Why? What did people say?

re: Piazza- is it going to be on TV or not?  Jun 12 2006, 09:05:15 PM
That's a good idea... I'll try that. Thanks.
re: Piazza- is it going to be on TV or not?  Jun 12 2006, 08:39:02 PM
Nope, not in a remote part of Iowa... for those of you who are getting it, what channel is it on? I have like... two versions of PBS and neither of them have it.

God. I HATE living in a cultureless vaccumm almost as much as I hate trying to spell vaccuum. We're not even getting "Broadway: The Golden Age". It's some random stupid show I've never heard of.

re: Piazza- is it going to be on TV or not?  Jun 12 2006, 06:53:26 PM
Sweetsiren, thanks (I've missed you!) but that's the site that's confusing me.

*takes a deep breath* Sorry for the outburst.

re: Piazza- is it going to be on TV or not?  Jun 12 2006, 06:51:24 PM
I live in the Midwest.

Nevermind. I'll just have to deal with it. God, this honestly makes me want to kill someone. (It pisses me off enough to bring me out of exile; which is more or less the same....)

If I had known I wasn't going to get it on TV, I could have seen it three days ago. Great. ****ing great.

ETA- Yero, can you be a jackass somewhere else?

re: Piazza- is it going to be on TV or not?  Jun 12 2006, 06:47:38 PM
I know. We're not getting it.

Piazza- is it going to be on TV or not?  Jun 12 2006, 06:45:22 PM
It looks as though Piazza will not be airing at any point in time in my area.... on SOME TV schedules. I've found information that makes it sound as though it's going to be broadcasted everywhere, some that says it will only be on certain versions of PBS (ARE there different versions? It looks like it, but that doesn't make sense) and my local paper TV guide says nothing about it. Is there any reliable source of information about this show? PBS and my cable company are giving me different answer
re: ' No self-respecting New Yorker would go to a show after the original s  May 14 2006, 05:23:44 PM
I hope that the author of that article finds these responses on those 'buzz' websites she was talking about so she will know what a complete moron she is.
re: Shows' initial investments  May 13 2006, 10:07:01 PM
Thanks
re: Shows' initial investments  May 13 2006, 10:00:03 PM
Thanks, Margo.

How exactly do you know all of this? If there's some kind of website I can look at, I'd like to have the link so I can stop pestering you for information. I do sort of need information on the revivals because I'm a bit short in that category.

re: Shows' initial investments  May 13 2006, 09:43:44 PM
Margo, you are a wonderful human being. Honestly.

Also looking info on any revival or original broadway production of:
Hello, Dolly!
Guys and Dolls
The Sound of Music
Oklahoma!
South Pacific
The Pajama Game
The West Side Story
Assassins

re: Shows' initial investments  May 13 2006, 09:02:42 PM
Thanks.

What about:
Funny thing-Forum
Into the Woods OBC
Into the Woods revival
Annie Get Your Gun revival
Cabaret OBC
Dreamgirls
Gypsy original
Gypsy revival
Miss Saigon

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You