News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for DrMark

DrMark Profile Photo
Member Name: DrMark
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

THE NUTTY PROFESSOR, Pre-Broadway Tryout in Nashville -- Discussion
 Aug 27 2012, 12:26:18 PM
Well, I just received an e-mail survey about "The Nutty Professor." It was fairly generic, asking me to rate the show, choreography, set, cast, etc. I did put a lengthy comment in the free text field.

As I remember the "Billy Elliott" survey, it did ask about if I could understand the accents, slang, etc., so I think you're right about that. I really didn't like that show, and I really wanted to like it, since I liked the movie. But I digress.

Aug 13 2012, 12:18:29 PM
"And there is certainly SOME automation in the scenery, from fly rail and hydraulics, but clearly they're basically just trying to get the show "on its feet". I'd interpret the current set as more about "style" than ultimate functionality."

You're quite correct. I omitted the flying in of the lab set and the lab table which rises from the floor. The lab set is really cool, complete with bubbling flasks. There was still a lot of pushing of things around, and I clearly saw stage hands

Aug 13 2012, 11:28:36 AM
When I went to "Billy Elliot" previews on Broadway, they distributed surveys and pencils to all the audience members and solicited audience feedback. When I went to the "Bring It On: The Musical" pre-Broadway tryout, the creative team was at the back of the theatre after the show, and they invited the audience to stop by and offer comments. There was nothing of the sort at this tryout.

Aug 13 2012, 09:21:41 AM
So, I saw it last night and thought I'd share some of my musings. First, let me say that the cast is really doing the very best they can with the material they have been given. I will say that there are noticable differences in the technique of the dancers' abilities. This is most apparent with the female cast members when you see some of them pointing their toes and others apparently unable to do so. The male cast members are more consistently outstanding. Michael Andrew does a fantastic j
War Horse Up on TDF
 Aug 9 2012, 12:31:52 PM
It was at TKTS on July 26-29, when I was in NYC. I bought my tickets through an online discount offering, because I wanted to pick my seats in advance, and the price was about the same. It was a really great show. While it may be touring, there were quite a few things they did with the set at Lincoln Center that I'm sure they will not be doing on tour. It's a great show, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone.
Smash -- Series Discussion
 Aug 9 2012, 12:28:04 PM
I was up in NYC, July 26-29, and I saw posters informing residents that the production would be in the area and equipment where they were shooting "Smash." Unfortunately, I didn't see any actual shooting. I did run into Christian Borle as we were both heading to the 50th/Broadway subway station. I got a little star struck and blurted out, "I really enjoy Glee, er, I mean Smash." He said, "It's fine. I like Glee, too." So, that was fun.
Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
 Jul 25 2012, 04:30:08 PM
I go to NYC once a year to see shows, shop, eat, and generally have fun. Sometimes, when I go I must see shows that are in previews simply due to timing. It is nice to be able to read what other people are saying about a show in previews, so that I can decide if it is worth my time (and money) to see it while I'm there. I may not have the opportunity to see the full show, depending upon when I return and how long the show ends up running. I was at the very first preview performance of "Mary
GHOST to Play Final Broadway Performance on August 18
 Jul 24 2012, 04:49:22 PM
Well, that is sad news. It's a shame that it didn't take off. I saw it in London last summer, and I really loved it. I'm going to see it in NYC this Friday, and I can't wait. I'm just glad I get to see it one more time before the sparkly lights come and haul it off to Broadway heaven. I enjoyed the music, the cast, and the amazing visuals. If you've not seen it, I'd highly recommend it. I found it very moving.
re: THE NUTTY PROFESSOR Headed to Broadway; Music by Hamlisch, Book by Holm
 May 4 2012, 03:49:44 PM
I'm sorry it's not working for you. Try going to www.tpac.org and doing a search for Nutty Professor or copy and paste the link into your browser.

To answer your question, it discusses the show, the creative team, and the aforementioned lead.

May 4 2012, 03:41:42 PM
They seemed to indicate that this was the out of town tryout. It does seem like it might need more work than 18 days, though. Here's a longer story on the musical:

http://www.tpac.org/news/story.asp?story=252

They showed a video at the party with Jerry Lewis talking about the show. I thought that was on the website, too, but I couldn't find it with a quick search. I must admit that based upon the songs I heard, I'm not terribly excited. The song where he was the Nutty Professor was sort of strident and annoying. I feel like they are trying, though.

Mainly, I was excited that Nashville was going to get another premier. You may remember that the original tour for "Nine to Five" rehearsed and launched from Nashville (thanks, Dolly!). The promo title for this year's Broadway Series at TPAC was "Music-al City."

how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
 May 4 2012, 11:40:56 AM
Practice, practice, practice!

No, wait. That's how you get to Carnegie Hall. Nevermind.

Good luck on the job hunt! Remember to be nice and smile (but not before they hire you. They don't hire people who are nice and smile!)

May 4 2012, 11:34:51 AM
Then, perhaps you should come to Nashville this July:

https://patron.tpac.org/main.taf?p=9,5,1&ProductionID=2988

The Nutty Professor is currently in rehearsals at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center. They are going to have the premier here. The creative team said that they are going to be surveying the audience heavily to get input into what needs to be changed as the musical is developed. At the Broadway Season Announcement party, Michael Andrew, who is going to be in the title role, performed two songs from the show. He did one as the professor and one as Buddy Love. The transformation was rather dramatic. Based upon what I saw, it is very much like the original Jerry Lewis take on the Nutty Professor (not the Eddie Murphy version). It felt a little old fashioned, but it was cute. I've not decided if I'm going to see it while it's here.

Is anyone seeing SPIDER-MAN tonight? (First show back after 'revamp.')
 May 12 2011, 04:25:22 PM
I'll be there tonight! I'm hopeful.
'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
 Apr 22 2011, 10:46:25 AM
I would go check out the show for you guys, but I think I'm busy that run.
Tennessee Performing Arts Center 2011-2012 Broadway Series
 Apr 21 2011, 07:31:00 PM
Season Specials not included in the regular season are:

--Wicked (Three weeks, October 2011, top Saturday matinee ticket price = $145!!!)
--Spamalot (Three performances only)

Apr 21 2011, 07:26:35 PM
They just announced the season. It is as follows:

--The Addams Family
--Mary Poppins
--South Pacific
--Memphis
--Rain: A Tribute to the Beatles
--Blast

As an added bonus, Courtney Wolfson, who is the understudy for Wednesday in the current Broadway production of "The Addams Family," was there tonight and sang "Pulled" from the show.

Las Vegas Shows
 Apr 21 2011, 04:56:52 PM
I pretty much agree with lightguy, although I preferred "Le Reve" to "O." If it's your first time in Vegas, I would recommend "Jubilee" if you want a real "Vegas" show. It's very old school and somewhat dated, but it's a huge production (a friend of mine designed the sets about a quarter of a century ago). For the Broadway style shows, see, "Phantom." It is truly a spectacle. For a Cirque du Soleil show, I recommend "Mystere" and "Le Reve." They are different from each other, but very cool.
 Apr 21 2011, 04:41:52 PM
The Tennessee Performing Arts Center in Nashville, TN, will be announcing the 2011-2012 Broadway Series tonight at 6 p.m. CST, at a special event. I'm planning to attend. Stay tuned for all the details!

'Rent,' Joyce DeWitt, dinner theater, Nashville = oddness brewing
 Apr 21 2011, 04:38:22 PM
As a Nashvillian, may I just say that I'm a little sad to see this? I've been in several great community theatre productions around town, and they are usually conducted with the utmost of professionalism. It's disheartening to see news like this reported, whether it's true or not.

On the upside, the Tennessee Performing Arts Center is announcing the 2011-2012 Broadway Season tonight at 6 p.m. If y'all get a bus to come to Nashville, just let me know. I have a guest room waiting!

Broadway voices used in commercials
 Feb 25 2011, 02:06:26 PM
Billy Crudup in the Visa commercials. Priceless.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You