pixeltracker

how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?

how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?

musicaltheatreman2
#1how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/3/12 at 8:32pm

I want a part-time job as a usher at a broadway theatre. what do i need to do to make this happen? thank you

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/3/12 at 9:07pm

I don't believe it's something that you can just apply for.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#2how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/3/12 at 9:19pm

Well, according to some posts here the first thing you must do is spend a lot of time studying at RUDE school, and you'd better be good at it.

bwaylvsong
#3how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/3/12 at 10:13pm

You have to have an "in"- some sort of connection.

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#4how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/3/12 at 10:35pm

There's a union.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#5how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/3/12 at 11:22pm

Musicaltheatreman, tried to send you a PM regarding this but you don't accept them.

Just give the world Love.

dreamz
#6how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/4/12 at 8:20am

What you have to do is send your resume to the three organizations Jujamcyn,
Shubert, and Nederlander. You can find the addresses online.

DrMark Profile Photo
DrMark
#7how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/4/12 at 11:40am

Practice, practice, practice!

No, wait. That's how you get to Carnegie Hall. Nevermind.

Good luck on the job hunt! Remember to be nice and smile (but not before they hire you. They don't hire people who are nice and smile!)

bobs3
#8how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/4/12 at 5:37pm

SondheimFan5 is correct. Broadway theatre ushers are union members. You basically have to know someone (or even better, be related to someone) in the union and get a referral for union membership.

Have you seen some of those theatre ushers? There are a good number of them who are in their 70s and 80s and have been around so long they have soured on the job. The younger ushers (under 40) seem to be much friendlier.

Dollypop
#9how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/4/12 at 7:25pm

Contact Jane2. She ushers at a big Off Bwy house and might be able to help.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

dreamz
#10how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/5/12 at 8:19am

I work at a Broadway house send your resume to the 3 companies first. You don't join the union until you've worked a number of shows.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#11how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/5/12 at 2:58pm

Dolly, I was going to suggest that house t the op also.

To the op, open your pm and I will give you the info. Not e-mailing your private account.

Just give the world Love.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#12how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/5/12 at 3:09pm

Is it really THAT difficult to become an usher on Broadway?

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#13how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/5/12 at 3:31pm

Just like any other gig on Broadway, you have to know someone, be in a union, have an "in"... If it were that easy to do it, don't you think more people would do it if only to see free theatre?

ahhrealmonsters
#14how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 3:32pm

It's not *that* hard. I know several people who usher at Broadway houses. While you do have to join the union, it's not as hard as getting into AEA. Playbill.com occasionally posts usher job listings, so look out for those.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#15how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 4:32pm

Yes, all the advice you've gotten in this thread is correct. There's really nothing else to suggest. Of course, ushering in an off broadway house is different.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#16how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 5:07pm

Whats the money like?

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#17how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 5:17pm

to the op-If you google the topic, you'll find several sites which will be helpful, including Playbill.com. I think you'll get all the info you need that way!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#18how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 5:17pm

Isn't more like seeing free SHOW - over and over and over? Arent' ushers TYPICALLY in the same theater most of the time?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#19how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 6:32pm

If you usher on Broadway you're probably not doing it to see a free show. If that's your whole purpose, you'll be quite bored seeing the same "free show" for years if it has a long run. I can't think of any show I'd ever want to see that many times.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

sephyr
#20how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 1:28am

This would be a really fun job. I would love to do it in the future. And you know what? I don't think I would get tired of the show because it would be fun to see what changes during the run.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#21how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 2:08am

I know some ushers who rotate shows based on the theatre company they work for.

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#22how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 12:54pm

It's always fun to see mess ups on stage as an usher... Most fun when actors stumble over lines and dance moves... Those are great memories.
I used to dread going to Mary Poppins every single show. You memorize everything- the lines, the dancing, the vocal parts, the instrumentation... It can be fun, but it's still a job.
You just learn to tune everything out after a while.

Being part of broadway is special and it's a job I hope to keep for a while (as a second job, I don't recommend this as a first job to anyone) But go apply to those three companies mentioned above. Also, The new Amsterdam always needs ushers.

dreamz
#23how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 1:33pm

Ushers make alittle under $50 per show. The money is good for the work you do. Nowadays you do not need to know someone to get it. Its not like years ago.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#24how do i become a usher at a broadway theatre?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 1:59pm

The best part of being an usher is the union. You become eligible for all types of great old-school benefits like pensions. I say go for it.

The best "in" I know is apply directly for a merchandising job.

Videos