News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bta212

bta212 Profile Photo
Member Name: bta212
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: NYC
Architect
Theatre lover
Gay man

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Anyone Want Two tix for Mary Testa: 9:30 tonight @ Joe's Pub
 Oct 29 2006, 07:29:56 PM
Sorry for the late posting, but something just came up, and I can't use them. PM for info.

re: Is It Ever OK to Cancel a Show If the Audience is Too Small?
 Oct 2 2006, 07:45:23 PM
I certainly have been in the audience on occasions when there were huge numbers of empty seats. It is very uncomfortable, and when the performance is intended to be an "event"--even more so. One's feelings of empathy for the performers are so great--they must be so embarassed, the evening is such a failure etc.--that it's hard to imagine how the performance can go on.

To a greater or lesser degree, however, once the lights go down and the show begins, I have always been glad that I

re: PHOTO FLASH! Stagedoor photos of Barbra at FUNNY GIRL!
 Oct 1 2006, 09:42:55 PM
Wow Dollypop--Them's strong words. Have you explained your animus for Ms. S on another threat that I can refer to? Or can you summarize here?
re: Original A Chorus Line Dancers to Receive No Royalties for the Revival
 Oct 1 2006, 09:40:06 PM
(Man--how did I end up arguing for the Grinch's side in all this....? I'm really a very generous guy...)

Allofmylife--this is exactly the song I was thinking of when I was reading the NYT article.

My childhood best friend started dance class after watching/imitating his sister (who hated dance) practice at home. One day, she told their mother she wasn't going anymore, and Christopher grabbed her gym bag and went to class, thinking he would just take her place.

My t

Oct 1 2006, 09:30:10 PM
"The show would have become a tad sterotypical had Bennet written the show himself with Nicholas Dante."

I understand your point, jv, but you are presenting a purely hypothetical scenario as though it is a universally understood fact. We don't know what would have been.

In any case, my point is less about the beauty of the dancers' stories, and more about where the creative responsibility and Authorship--which in our capitalist society = Ownership--lies. And I put it almost

Oct 1 2006, 06:31:16 PM
I'm not moved by the issue of whether they signed a piece of paper or not (of course, they courts probably are). If I felt that the dancers had been unjustly cut out of their share of the profits, I would argue for the principle and let the piece of paper be damned. I just don't agree that the raw material here is so precious or so uniquely critical to the final "product" that it deserves more financial recognition.

To say that "Their blood and sweat is in the core of that show" is a

Oct 1 2006, 04:55:51 AM
I would draw a distinction between a recording artist who is duped out of royalties and the dancers on these tapes.

While I understand that everyone's story is "unique" and these kids sat down and shared their hearts out, I don't think it would be difficult to find another group of dancers with virtually the same--or equally compelling--stories.

The genius of ACL is the synthesis and alchemy of the raw stories into a musical theatre production: words, music, choreography--the o

re: 'Falsettoland' benefit concert
 Oct 1 2006, 01:38:06 AM
Take another look: the link you posted takes you to a site showing that there are $50 and $100 seats. I just bought a bunch of the $100 seats, so they are definitely available.
re: Question..........why do people who post here have to get their picture
 Sep 28 2006, 12:15:22 AM

Ellipses. The dots. They are "ellipses".

According to Strunk and White, I'm pretty certain that the traditional quantity of dots is three. I don't know how flexible that rule is. S&W = not very flexible, generally.

From the Greek word for "omission", which I can no longer recall, although I can still quote "The Cheese Shop" in its entirety. 30 years and counting... <----Ellipses

re: Question..........why do people who post here have to get their picture
 Sep 27 2006, 11:00:51 PM
"Wow--that's the first time MB's ever topped anyone."

Thanks lildogs: my first authentic BWW spit-take.

re: Favorite Cheesy Movie Musicalized
 Sep 20 2006, 01:51:07 AM
Be careful what you wish for, my friends:

From NewYork Mag, by way of Defamer.com:

Joe Eszterhas--who at the peak of his powers in the 1990s single-handedly overturned the image of the meek Hollywood scribe by earning millions for his uncompromising tales of beaver-flashing, psychosexual intrigue--has finally addressed the film that many finger as his undoing. Showgirls was meant to be a titillating, sensational look at the cutthroat world of Las Vegas entertainment; inste

Spencer Quest
 Sep 19 2006, 03:04:43 PM
"Quest" is a nom-de-p*rn....
re: 2006 NY Musical Theatre Fest - Best Bets?
 Sep 18 2006, 03:24:19 AM
I'm seeing Lunch and Oedipus this week, but HaNL is--by far--the most enjoyable NYMF show I've seen in 3 years. The talent of the cast just blew me away, especially Michelle Blakely (Amy) and Nikki Selson (Barbara).

In this deadly climate of star-driven revivals and juke-box crap, a new show bursting with so much potential is just exhilarating.

I see in the program that there is an "Evening of Music by Conor Mitchell" at the Daryl Roth theatre on Monday 9/25. I'll be th

Sep 18 2006, 02:52:20 AM
Zoneace: The description of Having It Almost suggests that the two shows are very much cut from the same strangers-sharing-their-stories" cloth.

Are the two shows similar in feeling?

Sep 18 2006, 01:34:15 AM
Saw Have A Nice Life this afternoon. (Sat behind Mr. Sondheim, thank you very much).

The show was fantastic--smart/funny lyrics, complex and beautiful score. The cast was superb: Emily Skinner was as wonderful as you would expect, yet in NO way did she out-shine the rest of the cast--there really wasn't a weak link in the chain, IMO.

Oops--I just checked the schedule to post the remaining dates, but today appears to have been the final performance.

nevermind....

Spencer Quest
 Sep 18 2006, 01:23:15 AM
Spence is a sweet and wonderful guy.

Mind you, I don't know if he can sing or dance, but he is a gem; I wish him the best of luck in this.

re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
 Aug 16 2006, 08:46:05 PM
Well, you better get Citi-Quiet windows, just in case. Idina screeching "Let me Entertain You" 8 times a week could seriously drive you mad...
re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
 Aug 16 2006, 08:35:41 PM
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and suggest that an important part of the magic of Patti @ Ravinia was the very fact of the Ravinia Experience. Limited run. Minimal rehearsals. Minimal, almost concert style staging. The idyllic, pastoral, outdoor setting, the spicy king-pao chicken in the spinach wrap. For years, the Audra/Michael/Patti events have been small, magical, effervescent gifts that one is lucky enough to experience and savor for years to come.

Was there extraordinar

re: Who's Your Favorite Funny Actor?
 Aug 16 2006, 08:13:50 PM
Marian Seldes: An extraordinary genius of body language, delivery and deadpan panache. Flawless, peerless and unique.

Madeline Kahn: The voice. The delivery. The face.

Julie White: Yes--it's a shtick, but she's brilliant at it.

re: Most talented broadway couple?
 Aug 14 2006, 11:50:39 PM
Garson Kanin and Marian Seldes.

Or, like, Idina and Taye, like, >squeal!<

Good Lord....

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You