GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!

matt schneider
#1re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 1:58am

I dont think it is realistic, but If it does happen I can defenetly see patti as rose. After ravinia I cant imagine anyone else as that part.

The bushes of Tex were nervous recks because their son was dim, But look what happened to him~Dirrty Rotten Scoundrels~all about Ruprecht They say the thoughtful musicals dead on broadway~forbiden broadway : SVU~The crime scene Never say never, there's always one more person you can hit up~avenue Q.~the money song Life sucks, get a pacifyer~my own saying

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#2re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 2:23am

I don't think we need a Gypsy revival for a while. I'm sure Patti is stellar, but, there was a revival three years ago. Plus, I believe they would need the approval of Arthur Laurents.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#3re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 3:50am

For what it is known, she'll never be able to play it on Broadway, Ravinia was a fluke, for what I understand...so, that was pretty much for her in the role.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#4re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 4:39am

OK, kids, ummm to answer the real question of the thread...

5 years. Yes, possible. Maybe even sooner, if there is possibility of money to be made. Broadway is a business.

Whether we "need" a revival or not will only prove itself at the box office. Approval by Laurents, is not an issue.

Blaxx, love your avatar, you seem nice, but what the hell are you talking about? Why couldn't she play it on B-way; what fluke are you understanding?--the weird post about Laurents having a feud with Patti? Doesn't exist. If it did the Ravinia concert and this thread would not have happened. re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

lifeisacabaret
#5re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 4:42am

So soon after the Mendes revival? Not gonna happen.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#6re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 4:48am

^True, but Les Miz is back in similar time frame

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#7re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 5:14am

I'm sorry that I don't remember much about the reason, but there was a post a long time ago on why she couldn't play it on Broadway (which in fact mentioned that they wanted her in the Sam Mendes revival, but she was a huge NO-NO to Laurents), and why Ravinia was an exception to this supposed "ban", that he had no control over.
You are right, I might be wrong, but everyone here back then made me understand that her doing it on Broadway was close to impossible.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 8/14/06 at 05:14 AM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 5:26am

I found this here:
http://www.gaycitynews.com/gcn_532/inthenoh.html

Laurents is never short of opinions and when I asked him if he was looking forward to Patti Lupone doing ‘Gypsy’ at Chicago’s Ravinia Festival, he said, “No. She begged me to do it back in 1989, but I wouldn’t let her and cast Tyne Daly. She has no consonants!”

“Neither does Joan Sutherland,” I interjected.

“But she sings opera! Also Patti has no sense of humor. But, do you like any of these revivals? I thought the last ‘Gypsy’ was terrible. It wasn’t Bernadette [Peters]’ fault. [Director] Sam Mendes doesn’t know anything about music. And did you see the recent ‘Sweeney Todd’? Like a high school dissertation. But I’ve actually come up with a new idea for ‘West Side Story’ which will bring it into the 21st century for young audiences. I can’t tell you what it is, but when I told it to Steve Sondheim, he said, ‘I can’t believe no one has ever thought of that before!’”

Maybe if he saw her (I'm not sure if he was there) he changed his mind, but it seems like it's "his way or no way".
Some people here I'm sure know why Ravinia was an exception... I think he has control over Broadway productions and not regional, that is why she could do it there, but he would have to let her do it on Broadway, but this I'm not sure of.

Updated On: 8/14/06 at 05:26 AM

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#9re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 5:29am

I remember the fuss... Lots of rumors, little truth. If a producer (meaning $$$$) wants to bring her to B-way with the show--it'll happen. The authors can't stop it.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#10re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 5:34am

I truly doubt that any billionare can persuade such a man, if what you mean is that enough money could let him change his mind - he seems extremely stubborn.

But, nothing is impossible. Maybe the concert changed his mind and now they are closer than ever.

#11re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 6:25am

who cares about realism, IT HAS TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!

Jon
#12re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 9:35am

Arthur Laurents is a nasty piece of work. He was the one who made Mel Brooks cut out a two-line parody of "Rose's Turn" from "Betayed" in THE PRODUCERS, even though Sondheim and the Jule Styne estate said it would be OK.

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#13re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 10:27am

Is it possible for authors not to approve a revival at all? Because if so, Laurents could just say no to any revival with Patti.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#14re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 11:36am

TomMonster,
The author can most definitely stop it. And after the last debacle that was staged with Peters.. I hope they are smart enough to give this wonderful property a good rest. Both Gypsy and Fiddler need to be shelved for more than a few years so that in the future they can blossom again. And besides.. Lupone is not box office. Look at attendance for Sweeney and look at what attendance was for both Noises Off and Master Class when she took over.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 8/14/06 at 11:36 AM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#15re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 11:40am

Seriously, let's let Patti enjoy this triumph and move on. If a revival were re-staged it would get all ugly. Let's just celebrate this divine performance and not beat it like a dead horse. Kudos to Patti on this fantastic performance and I second what the previous poster said-let's give GYPSY (and Arthur Laurents' trash talkin') a much needed rest. :)

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#16re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 11:44am

instead of a revival lets get it telivised like passion was.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#17re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 11:49am

Arthur Laurents has burned every bridge he ever crossed. Any trash talking about him is karmically induced.

There are places other than New York where Patti's Rose might be seen: Los Angeles, London...

As Arthur himself wrote:

MISS CRATCHIT: New York is the center of everything!
ROSE: New York is the center of NEW YORK.

And Arthur Laurents is the center of Bitter City.

Updated On: 8/14/06 at 11:49 AM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#18re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 11:53am

Joey, I was referring to HIS trash talking. I am not opposed to people talking smack ABOUT Arthur. I want to be clear. I meant that if GYPSY were to be revived, it would give him a platform to spew venom and I would really love to avoid that at all costs. Notice the apostrophe noted that it is his trash talking, not ours that I was referring to.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#19re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 11:59am

He is a bit of a pill.. Isn't he?

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#20re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 12:00pm

I posted this elsewhere, but I'll ask again.

What are Laurents' specific restrictions to Patti performing GYPSY?

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#21re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 12:02pm

Tom,

Authors definitely have casting approval over any major revival of their work, if by the sheer virtue that they can stop the production from happening if they don't like the intended cast. Laurents also stopped Betty Buckley from taking the Papermill production of GYPSY to Toronto. Sondheim stopped the Papermill revival of FOLLIES from coming to Broadway. They don't have casting approval over regional theatre productions, however, which is how LuPone was able to do GYPSY at Ravinia.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#22re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 12:18pm

Another possibility?

Since the Mendes/Peters revival did not tour, how about sending Patti on the road to key cities (Washington, LA, SF, Boston, Toronto) leading to a limited run in New York. It is too soon for another open end run in New York (and none of the GYPSY revivals have achived long runs. WEven Lansbury's revival was booked into new York for a limited run of 120 performances) but a limited run could generate some excitement.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#23re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 12:58pm

They should just record it for pbs and dvd. I think they would be wise to wait a few years before mounting a stage production.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#24re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 1:13pm

Whether it be a revival, a tour with a limitted B'way run or recording it for PBS, this sounds like a performance that should have a longer run than the 3 shows in Ravinia. Being one of the ones who could not attend this last weekend - I would really love to see Patti do this role.
Updated On: 8/14/06 at 01:13 PM

Kevinoes Profile Photo
Kevinoes
#25re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/14/06 at 1:17pm

Nobody *needs* a 2nd Tony. Patti, of all people, knows "the bass of the Tony is made of plastic." That just about covers it there. And didn't everyone say that her 2nd Tony was coming with SWEENEY? Yawn.

Videos