News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jmponstage

jmponstage Profile Photo
Member Name: jmponstage
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Yeston/Kopit PHANTOM Audition Help
 Aug 24 2007, 02:10:00 AM
Wow, the kid is asking for help. why don't you not have a freakin cow about it. If you have such a problem with it. you don't have to offer help. Some times people don't have all the resources or maybe even the experience or knowledge (im not saying this is true of you limelight - just making a point) if you really cared about the art, helping inform people would certainly not be a prolem - or in your pretentious, elitist world does is everyone born knowing everything thing there is to know abou
 Aug 23 2007, 05:46:39 PM
what ever you do... don't sing love can't happen. that song shows off a tenor... you need a song that requires a rich baritone warmth.

and you're right it is a g... oops. oh well.

Aug 22 2007, 10:33:15 PM
In yeston's phantom, erik is definately a baritone. you are really going to want to showcase the warmth of your voice. that being said he has some pretty solid high notes in "home" - I think an couple Ab's. The music is bery lyrical and requires an operetic style. But, definately not operatic in the sense of gilbert and sullivan. personally, I would take a look at

-If I loved you - carousel

- Andrew's Vision - Titanic

- In Every Age - Titanic

- Barrett's song

re: Jekyll and Hyde Cast Recording?
 Aug 22 2007, 10:18:25 PM
definately the obc. warlow is awesome but honestly cuccioli is great as well. the problem with the two cd set is the tempos. they are so slow. the ensemble numbers are pretty bad on it two. but... you do get bring on the men and girls of the night. get the obc though.
Midnight Radio? Steven Schwartz? Constantine?
 Aug 21 2007, 11:25:01 PM
Upon purchasing the new constantine cd, i went straight to his version of midnight radio (pretty decent by the way). After listening I opened the liner notes to see if he said anything about it. Imagine my suprise when I saw that the credit for the song was given to STEPHEN SCHWARTZ. However in his thank you's he thanks steven trask. Someone needs to lose their job over this typo. Just thought it was funny.

edited for spelling

re: Do I need any sort of license to put on a musical review?
 Aug 21 2007, 12:53:07 AM
i believe the general rule is no more than 3 songs by more than one composer... that is assuming you are covered under the general ascap/bmi stuff. at least this is what i have encountered.
re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
 Aug 14 2007, 02:58:04 AM
Raul's is quite possibly my favorite male voice in theatre right now and has been for the past four years or so. Is it perfect, no, and that is why it is so refreshing. It is a real voice. It doesn't sound so STERILIZED. I am all about classical training, however, so often people let it absolutely sterilize their voice and end up sounding like everyone else. Raul uses every bit of his voice to make a given song work. He keeps getting better too. The other awesome thing about Raul is his ability
re: So.......does anyone like the Color Purple?
 Aug 7 2007, 05:50:26 PM
worst overture ever? maybe
re: How often do you BUY a cast album
 Aug 7 2007, 05:48:51 PM
I try to buy them all, and I buy a lot of them. I do have quite a few burned copies though, out of print things, really difficult to get things, and let's face it, some shows that just aren't worth paying for. It is the same problem that the mainstream record industry is facing. Sub-par material. I don't really want to pay 20 dollars for 1995 revival cast of company or both versions of the rosie o'donell revival of grease. That being said, maybe I need to hear them for a reference for something.
re: The Problem With Drowsy:
 Aug 7 2007, 01:59:15 PM
could the problem with drowsy be that the show is really mediocre. it just had a great cast and now that they are gone... the material doesn't stand up? hmmm. i mean it is certainly enjoyable but it has had its run and is really no longer necessary. it was a novel idea with some cute numbers. the show relied on its cast. it doesn't stand up on its own.
re: Jekyll and Hyde movie?
 Aug 5 2007, 07:23:18 PM
actually it depends which version as to whether or not emma is a belter. she belts everything on the resurection album... anyway... why the hell does everyone on this board worship at the altar of hugh jackman. sure, he's great, he's charming, he can sing, he can dance. whoop de doo. i mean i like him too but everytime anything comes up as to a role in a movie musical (this, sunset, etc.) everyone and their mother goes nutso about hugh. i don't think he ffits this role too well at all to be hone
re: Need Help With Titanic the Musical
 Aug 4 2007, 02:42:03 AM
The script to this show is really weak, but the score is magnificent. I love this show. It is one of the few shows that having done I would like to do again. (I was in one of the first productions after the original) It is truly an ensemble piece. It is really impossible even to say if there is a lead in it. Some people will say Barret, the stoker, some will say andrews. it's just a really interesting show, in spite of the book. I don't know what you r range is, but most of the guys have to hit
re: West Side Story revival casting?
 Aug 4 2007, 02:34:53 AM
I'd like to see a cast that is remotely age appropriate, preferably unknowns. Obviously you can't go totally age appropriate but c'mon who is going to buy morrison or jackson as a high school kid.
re: Rent -for an Ipod generation ??
 Aug 3 2007, 01:13:38 AM
This is not only a horrible idea but is also extremely disrespectful towrads the material and the vision of Jonathan Larson. New sets and costumes is cool and the picture looks great but the problems here lie at the root of this concepulization. The music is going to be "poppier" That is a problem, for instance, when searching for a Roger, they went through so many auditionees looking for someone who sounded raw and edgy, not poppy. And the guy playinig Mark, I could be proven wrong, but look at
re: Aspects of Love Recording
 Aug 1 2007, 02:56:44 AM
it's hardly cute by the end.... keep listening.... when things get incestuous you know you're there
re: Songs/Parts of songs that give you chills
 Aug 1 2007, 02:54:13 AM
ok why does it automatically edit words sometimes bu not others...? random...
re: Songs/Parts of songs that give you chills
 Aug 1 2007, 02:52:39 AM
With as many people that have mentioned Secret Garden I can't believe no one has said this - in How Could I Ever Know when they sing in harmony towards the end and Lily takes this beautiful high note descant on the AHH-AHH-AHh-AHH part right before the end

We Do Not Belong Together - SITPWG when Bernadette does the " NO! You are Complete George..." ahhh so good

Our Children - Ragtime - the dialouge at the end where the Baron says "I will buy her light and sun and the clean wind

re: Sweeney Todd Poster
 Jul 27 2007, 03:14:55 AM
miracle elixer... Look at the poster, he does look incredibly sad and disturbed, and in absolutely no way does this look or even suggest campiness as you suggest. He looks absolutely tortured. And how can you judge all those things from a freaking teaser poster anyway. It's a little difficult to show sad, funny, thrilling, romantic, violent, etc (all the things the show is) in a TEASER poster.
re: Original Grease Script
 Jul 26 2007, 12:54:39 AM
Apparently the original Grease script (a version that I'm not sure has been in print in a long time) is quite obscenety laced. The last line Danny has features a well targeted F-bomb. ( I have heard - this may not be true but I have heard it from a Grease officiando)
re: MUST SEE Shows This August.
 Jul 25 2007, 10:17:19 PM
Don't see les mis, it is just a reproduction of the old show... nothing new to see. Same thing with ACL plus I'm sorry but a lot of the cast just isn't that good. Don't see Drowsy or Ave. Q they are both touring, so is Jersey Boys. The only reason to see RENT is to see Anthony and Adam (if they are in when you are going) otherwise it is constantly touring everywhere.

See Frost/Nixon - it is pure magic. The acting is some of the most remarkable that has been seen in 10 plus years
<

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You