News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ScottyDoesn'tKnow2

Member Name: ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?  Sep 27 2023, 11:50:54 AM

Anybody see Constance Wu's first performance?

Wicked Movie Seeks New Director  Feb 2 2021, 03:27:35 PM
Casting Glinda will be the real challenge, IMO. Elphaba has the script and storyline and "Defying Gravity" to get the audience on her side. Glinda is a delicate balance of comedy, drama, belting, and legit soprano voice. She has to be someone you understand why Elphaba wouldn't like but have a draw anyway. She has to become humanized as the show progresses. She has to sell the comedy (but please don't make her a cartoon) while making it believable that she'll grow into a mature person who can ma
Wicked Movie Seeks New Director  Feb 2 2021, 12:52:25 PM
I think Chu will be fine. He knows how to edit and supervise music into his films in an effective way and he has a good sense of pacing that will fit a musical film.
GYPSY - Tessie Tura's gimmick, anticlimactic?  Jan 25 2021, 01:12:05 PM
justoldbill said: "One of my favorite moments in the film is when Betty Bruce (Tessie) checks out her bump in the dressing room mirror. It's hard to tell if the reaction comes from Louise or Natalie Wood,"

The movie version perfectly captures that number. Even Sondheim, who, among many others, wasn't a fan of the film said that number was a highlight, especially that close up of Natalie Wood during the number where you see her change into Gypsy right

Fav/Least-Fav Changes in scores on cast albums  Jan 25 2021, 12:05:18 PM
The fact that the original production couldn't fund a true recording of the Dreamgirls score. The original Broadway cast recording is beyond truncated with important cut songs, and makes you think the show was a regular book musical as opposed one that was almost fully musical with music nearly happening throughout. They also cut "Heavy" and took out the bridge to "And I Am Telling You".
Which one?  Dec 28 2020, 04:21:50 PM
The only version of "On My Own" I like is Kaho Shimada's version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF6HaXfsYlM

I find Lea Salogna's version too breezy and fast. It's also a bit theatrical in that it loses the character. Francis Ruffelle, I get why she was so lauded. She went away from that sort of singing to bring out Eponine's vulnerabilities, but I don't really like the sound of her voice or the whiney undertone to it.

RUTHLESS! The Musical (1993 Los Angeles)  Dec 18 2020, 10:35:24 AM
EthelMae said: "Never saw the L.A. production. But I practically lived at the Players Theatre in New York Citywhen the original cast of Ruthless was playing there. Ironic that the original cast was never recorded while other productions were. I remember hearing that there was no money to do it then. Isn’t that always the case? That cast!- Joel Vig, Donna English, Laura Bell Bundy, Denise Lor, Susan Mansur and Joanne Baum (Ms. Baum did play the L.A. production).

Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update  Dec 14 2020, 02:53:49 PM
Now talk about "dreaming".
RUTHLESS! The Musical (1993 Los Angeles)  Dec 14 2020, 11:12:18 AM
Thank you for the link! I'll definitely watch it tonight to finally see the whole show.

I've always been partial to this version of "Born to Entertain" performed by Kathyn Zaremba from the concert version with Bernadette Peters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh4wJWlPOQk

Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update  Dec 14 2020, 11:05:00 AM
I'm sure a lot of people have told Glenn Close to "dream on" a bunch of times in her career. Make fun of her all you want for "turning into Norma" with "Salome", but she did fight tooth and nail to get Albert Nobbs made. Whatever you think of that movie and her performance, it got her another Oscar nomination after more than a decade's absence, had a solid cast (with Janet McTeer also receiving an Oscar nomination), solid production value, and allowed Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Emerald Fennell the
Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update  Dec 10 2020, 10:25:39 AM
Speaking of Gypsy, isn't Amy Sherman-Palladino (creator of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Gilmore Girls) working on a new film adaptation?
Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update  Dec 9 2020, 03:11:21 PM

From the post about her latest more comedic take on the role, nice to know she can play funny. She's so known for these very intense, dramatic roles.

How a Spider-Man musical became a theatrical disaster  Dec 7 2020, 03:46:59 PM
Whatever happened to this musical, I would have loved a non-campy, unironic duet or even dance between Peter and Mary Jane (I said Mary Jane and not Gwen Stacy) to U2's "With or Without You". I think Spiderman should always have humor because Peter Parker annoying the villains with his puns and quips is just part of the Spiderman experience, but the drama of him dealing with juggling his two lives should be taken seriously.
What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?  Dec 7 2020, 01:50:54 PM
Spiderman. 1/50 the budget; 1/50 the problems.
Wicked Movie Seeks New Director  Dec 1 2020, 02:06:07 PM
fashionguru_23 said: "Scotty, Lea Michelle as Elphabaisn't in your nightmare?

Clint Eastwood Disgust" />

"

I have no fear that Lea Michele will be cast in this movie. She's not exactly a driving peopl

Theatre: Entertainment or Education?  Dec 1 2020, 01:50:39 PM
I notice that with most theatrical pieces, there's always some overarching theme or topic it's really about. That's true of musicals too. Even the most simplest musical is about something and the creators want to educate about something . . . at least the older ones were.

Look at something entertaining, full of style, and whose production values and performances are what most people take away from seeing it....Dreamgirls. Tear down the pizzaz and what is Dreamgirls' ultimate message? De

Wicked Movie Seeks New Director  Dec 1 2020, 01:38:24 PM
My nightmare is:

Ariana Grande as Glinda
Billie Eilish as Elphaba

Or if they want to go a tad older

Taylor Swift as Glinda
Adele as Elphaba.

Wicked Movie Seeks New Director  Nov 30 2020, 02:43:50 PM
I'd love the idea for Alfonso Cuaron. He seems to have a great rhythm to his movies. The thing with film directors is that unless they have natural rhythm with editing or understand musical pacing, they can be risky choices with making something overly bloated that drags.
2020/1 Grammy Nominees  Nov 24 2020, 02:02:55 PM
I take it that the West End version of Amelie is vastly superior to the Broadway production.
Wicked Movie Seeks New Director  Nov 24 2020, 01:12:10 PM
Are they going to rework the score? Fix some lyrics...make it sounds less...tinny....add some melodies...cut some songs? If they do that, they should also rethink the entire Broadway book and work from scratch from the source material.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You