pixeltracker

What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?

What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#1What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/3/20 at 7:21pm

What musicals do you think Encores will wanna do in the future?

Some that I feel they will definitely revive are:

-Fun Home

-Tuck Everlasting

-A Gentlemens Guide to Love and Murder

-American Idiot

-Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 (If a revival isn't already taking place by then)

Updated On: 12/3/20 at 07:21 PM

Alex Kulak2
#2What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/3/20 at 8:07pm

The Lightning Thief with a rewritten script

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#3What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/3/20 at 8:10pm

Bandstand

Groundhog Day

Bridges of Madison County

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/3/20 at 8:39pm

Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

WigWerk
#5What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/4/20 at 12:55am

Scandalous with...Renee Rapp? lol

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown 

If/Then will be a Encores Off-Center in the Summer and a star vehicle for like Celia Rose Gooding 

Taboo 

Oh, and all of Frank Wildhorn's catalogue 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#6What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/4/20 at 1:51am

Baby It’s You!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#7What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/4/20 at 1:52am

But seriously, Urban Cowboy. Please?

Call_me_jorge
#8What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/4/20 at 2:46am

I think they’ll eventually revive Kander and Ebbs more recent work like Curtains, Scottsboro boys, and the visit.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#9What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/4/20 at 11:03am

Bandstand

Groundhog Day

Bridges of Madison County

Groundhog Day - For sure

Bridges - Yes, but before then I'm looking for a lavish 10th anniversary concert production.

No way that Kelli O'Hara is not going to play her favorite role again before she gets too much older. Everyone now wants to hear that score.sung.

Bandstand - I have just a thought that this show may stick around to be brought back on Veterans' Day at various venues,. since I'm pretty sure that it is the only Broadway musical that tells the story of the plight of returning veterans while at the same time having lively period dance numbers by a now famous choreographer. 

Of course there's a film of the original production. Not sure how that would affect matters.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
dexter3
#11What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/4/20 at 12:16pm

Definitely BRING IT ON.

Alex Kulak2
#12What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/4/20 at 7:18pm

OlBlueEyes said: "Bandstand - I have just a thoughtthat this show may stick around to be brought back on Veterans' Day at various venues,. since I'm pretty sure that it is the only Broadway musical that tells the story of the plight of returning veterans while at the same time having lively period dance numbers by a now famous choreographer.

Of course there's a film of the original production. Not sure how that would affect matters.
"

What’s also interesting about the show is that it’s critical of America’s treatment of veterans and insensitivity to PTSD while still being incredibly patriotic and honoring those who served in our military. I’m surprised it doesn’t have more of a following among conservative theatregoers.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#13What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/4/20 at 10:26pm

What’s also interesting about the show is that it’s critical of America’s treatment of veterans and insensitivity to PTSD while still being incredibly patriotic and honoring those who served in our military. I’m surprised it doesn’t have more of a following among conservative theatregoers.

I don't know if Bandstand was around long enough to develop much of a following with anyone. 

But it has received official recognition from a veterans group called "Got Your Six" or something close to that and they will be around to support it. I volunteered way back in the 90's in a homeless shelter in the ritzy Long Island Village of Port Jefferson. We had a colony of four or five Vietnam vets who lived on the streets and a few times I drove one to the hospital for the DT's. Worse off even was the brother of a young lady who also volunteered at the homeless shelter. Her brother had disappeared into one of those horrible state Victorian mental institutions, probably never to emerge.

I’m surprised it doesn’t have more of a following among conservative theatregoers.

It seems intuitively correct that the show would be more popular with conservative theatregoers and the touring company did very well in the places they visited that had military bases nearby. At a number of stops veterans' groups publicized and attended to honor all vets or to honor a particular veteran who had a hard story.

But I think that if you wrote that New York was not as concerned about veterans as many more conservative parts of the country, you would have to duck to avoid all the stones thrown at you.

I had come across a reference to John Simon being critical of the fact that Bandstand was almost completely snubbed by the Tonys. I wondered if that review was a surprise. I just knew him as a curmudgeon who was often in the middle of controversy.. After scanning his Bio, that's just a place I'd rather not visit.

Updated On: 12/5/20 at 10:26 PM

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#14What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/4/20 at 10:49pm

Rocky, Hands on a Hardbody, and The Band's Visit come to mind. Going back a little further, A Class Act, James Joyce's The Dead, and maybe even Bernarda Alba. Depending on if it's returned to Broadway in the next couple of decades, 25th Annual Putnam could be a contender.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#15What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/5/20 at 2:54am

Amelie, Bright Star, Side Show...?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Midnight Radio
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#17What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/5/20 at 8:53am

I would LOVE to see them tackle Women on the Verge.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#18What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/6/20 at 11:19pm

I've also been thinking Dogfight as a definite contender as well 

Call_me_jorge
#19What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/6/20 at 11:30pm

Probably for another thread, but your Dogfight suggestion makes me wonder what they will revive for the off-center series. 

WigWerk
#20What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/7/20 at 1:54am

Pirate Queen 

Enron 

Light in the Piazza 

War Paint 

Allegiance 

After Midnight?

Definitely The Scottsboro Boys 

Boq101
#21What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/7/20 at 1:56am

Marie Christine. I actually would love it if an opera company did it, too and we got it live from Lincoln Center style. 

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
JSquared2
#23What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/7/20 at 1:42pm

Big Fish

Sweet Smell of Success (hopefully sooner than 20 years)

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Smile

My Favorite Year

A Man of No Importance (Off Center?)

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#24What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?
Posted: 12/7/20 at 1:50pm

Spiderman. 1/50 the budget; 1/50 the problems. Updated On: 12/7/20 at 01:50 PM

Videos