News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for LostinTranslation

Member Name: LostinTranslation
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Rachel Bay Jones to Lead NEXT TO NORMAL at the Kennedy Center  Feb 2 2020, 04:05:16 PM
My understanding is that this is the Kennedy Center’s version of Encores, and as such should be viewed in that context. These aren’t productions that have the benefit of extended rehearsals and tech time. They are off book, but let’s not judge these performances with the same gauge as one would hold for a full on production. It’s simply disproportionate to the offering.
Ain't Too Proud Officially Heading to Broadway  Oct 18 2018, 01:50:46 PM
My understanfing is that it sold out its run at the Kennedy Center and that the crowds were dancing in the aisles. Critics be damned. Wicked got lackluster reviews, too.
HAIRSPRAY LIVE! Viewing Thread  Dec 8 2016, 10:55:23 AM

Here it is streamable. Hairspray LIVE!

HAIRSPRAY LIVE! Viewing Thread  Dec 7 2016, 11:51:56 PM

Just to refresh my recollection of Winokur's performance, I thought Maddie was actually a better singer.  I agree there were places where she was winded, but if you look at Winokur's Tony's performance, so is she.  YCSTB is a really difficult song to perform.  It's a modern patter song plus active dancing.  You're going to run out of breath if you're not really disciplined.  Perhaps with enough performances Maddie wouldn't have had the issu

HAIRSPRAY LIVE! Viewing Thread  Dec 7 2016, 11:20:54 PM

AKarp2013 said: "Despite a few technical glitches and some really awkward pacing I thought tonight was by far the best out of all the live musicals. Technical wise, I thought Grease Live had the best camerawork but because Hairspray is such a joyous show with brilliant material, you are able to look past some of that.

If I recall correctly, The Wiz Live had quite a bit of sloppy camera work that was patched up for the DVD. I say it's a pretty safe bet that the cam

HAIRSPRAY LIVE! Viewing Thread  Dec 7 2016, 10:08:39 PM

I think in this production in particular they're trying to cover a lot of ground.  Even with the technical glitches, it's still fun.  It's ambitious, so you've got further to fall, but its doing fine.

HAIRSPRAY LIVE! Viewing Thread  Dec 7 2016, 09:28:34 PM

daisybeetle said: "I'm having problems with the sound. The music is drowning out the vocals . Maybe it's my tv...

Nope.  The mix is a little fat.  Vocals aren't as on top of the mix.  Welcome to modern sound design.  Loud, loud, and louder.

"

HAIRSPRAY LIVE! Viewing Thread  Dec 7 2016, 08:19:15 PM

I don't think she's out of breath.  I think audio is having RF drop outs from the mics.  Her whole audio during Good Morning Baltimore had tons of drop outs.  

BRIGHT STAR Reviews  Mar 24 2016, 09:43:57 PM

The reviews seem to be more about what the show isn't than what it is.  Since the reviewers don't accept the throwback contrivances of an old fashioned, sentimental musical, they cast it aside.

BRIGHT STAR Previews  Mar 22 2016, 06:54:54 PM

I find the concerns about song titling peculiar. No one announces their titles, they simply sing. The titles have no bearing on the songs in the context of the show.  Now whether you feel they are well constructed, serve their purpose of advancing the plot and or motivation of the characters is another matter entirely. 

BRIGHT STAR Previews  Feb 28 2016, 08:49:54 PM

little_sally said: "goldenboy said:

Act One started off well but then I started getting confused and a little bored as it was a bit murky as to whose story it was. Alice or Billy's.

I too had this problem. I was confused as to why Alice leads the opening, singing about her "story," and then we're focused on Billy for the

BRIGHT STAR Previews  Feb 28 2016, 12:48:27 PM

starcatchers said: "What makes you say that ...

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
Jimmy Ray knew before Alice did? He thinks his father killed the baby.

"

Yes he does.

BRIGHT STAR Previews  Feb 28 2016, 08:59:37 AM

Smaxie said: "That will be news to Billy Dee Williams. 

"

In three movies he's the only one.  It's a WHITE universe in the first three films.

BRIGHT STAR Previews  Feb 28 2016, 08:50:21 AM

Emily Paget lights it up!!  She gets to sing and dance with sassy exuberance in "Another Round."  It's a great scene, song, and the choreography is delightful.

BRIGHT STAR Previews  Feb 26 2016, 01:27:18 PM

mariel9 said: "If there is no excuse for an all white cast in 2016, there is also no excuse for a segregated cast of any ethnicity. Story and context has to be the voice of reason in this otherwise infinite debate.

Integrated or "color blind" casting that expands opportunities for underrepresented minorities is not remotely the same as integrating the cast of Color Purple or Allegiance. I was really put off to see an all whi

BRIGHT STAR Previews  Feb 25 2016, 08:15:37 PM

SLSigafoos said: "I'll be interested to hear thoughts on whether this show has a "defining song". A few people online who saw it at KenCen said that the music is fine but there's no one song that sticks out. Hope they're wrong, as any musical needs that to survive. Cusack has waited long enough to perform on Broadway; am hoping for a hit for her and this cast."

I don't think there is a "defining" song.  There are s

BRIGHT STAR Previews  Feb 24 2016, 08:13:20 AM

I get that but the show most likely change (and tightened performance wise) between the first preview and opening night, and quite frankly later in December.

BRIGHT STAR Previews  Feb 24 2016, 07:46:03 AM

BroadwayConcierge said: "I'm hopeful, but not optimistic, that they've made beneficial changes between their Kennedy Center run and Broadway. The show that I saw in DC in December needed SUBSTANTIAL book and lyrical revisions.

Just curious when in the DC run you saw it?  They had several weeks of previews and then the hard opening.  What didn't you like?  I saw it toward the end of the run, and liked it.  It's

Bright Star gives an Allegiance feel  Feb 21 2016, 04:53:25 PM

Dancingthrulife2 said: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWUsNKIB014
The "Sun is gonna shine again" number feels like "Gaman" from Allegiance. And the set, the costume... Maybe partly it's because they are both set in WWII, but I can't help but feel like seeing the white version of Allegiance, no offense. I feel both shows are shows about people after all, despite the "history lesson" buff to different degrees, and that's why I love Allegiance. Too bad it's gone, but I hope Bright Star can find itself an audience and have a life on Broadway.

Two completely different shows, and you're seeing a recording session with the song out of context in the show.  They aren't really both set in WWII:  Bright Star begins with the return of a young man from the war, and flashes back and forth to before the war.  Other than that, there isn't anything about WWII in the show.  Allegiance is a family in the internment camps; Bright Star is about the dynamics of a rural southern town and its affects on a couple.  Themes include regret, reflection, redemption, remorse.

First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN  Nov 2 2014, 11:26:53 AM
Meh. Adequate, but nothing to write home about.

My problem really has to do with what they've done with trying to update the songs in how they're sung. I've had the OBC in my head for close to 35 years and it's those melodies I expect and want to hear. I didn't care for how they've reinterpreted "Corner of the Sky," and some of the other tunes. I don't mind them changing how they're generally sung, but I want to hear the original melody.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You