News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Elfuhbuh

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Member Name: Elfuhbuh
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Is Ramin Returning To PHANTOM????  May 3 2023, 07:29:50 PM

imeldasturn said: "I mean, it's not like Karimloo always sings on key..."

Yeah, plus people like to forget that he tended to be shouty in the RAH concert. He’s never been a favorite Phantom of mine for that reason, even though I like him in other things.

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread  May 3 2023, 07:06:10 PM

lucynewlife said: "Jeffrey Karasarides said: "lucynewlife said: "Globefan said: "Cynthia's Elphie is probably the closest we'll ever get to Elphie from the book on film."

Although personally I'd much rather we just get an adaptation of the books than the quasi book/musical/original that the film is going for.
"

On a recent Next Best Picture podcast, Matt Neglia was recapping this year's CinemaCon with Dan Bayer and Josh Parham. When they discussed reports of the Wicked footage, they still questioned how splitting it into two parts was going to work given that the stage version is two and a half hours long. Clearly, neither of them are aware that the filmmakers are trying to flesh things out with stuff from the Gregory Maguire novel that weren't included in the musical.
"

To be fair, I don't think a lot of people who aren't digging deep into the film know about that and just heard "splitting into 2 parts" without looking more into it. Although someone who is recapping CinemaCon should maybe do more research!

Personally, I do wonder just what they will actually include from the novel, because so much of the novel's events and characterizations are distinctly different from the musical's character and narrative paths, and would require completely different set-ups and story beats than the frame stage musical provides.

I get the feeling that a lot of it will be vaguely connected snippets that might reference bits in the book rather than actual story points. Like how we have a casting call for Young Nessa, so we may see more of Elphaba & Nessa's childhood. And we'll likely get more of Glinda and Elphaba developing a friendship, perhaps even depicting how they formed a friendship group with Boq, Fiyero, etc, for a while. Maybe we'll get some watered down version of the Philosophy Club scene but instead of drugs and sex it's a SFW show that references the darker political underpinnings going on in Oz.

But as for actual story points? I just don't know what they could actually put in there. Dillamond being murdered and Morrible being implicated, instead of him disappearing and being kept by the Wizard? They would have to change the confrontation with the Wizard in Part 2 post-Wonderful, of course.

But for instance, I don't think they'll have Elphaba join a nunnery or try to find Fiyero's family for forgiveness, since both of these things require a massive deviation from the musical's basic story points. And it'd all have to take place in Part 2, since Part 1 ends with Defying Gravity. Too much to cram in there. I very much doubt Lir will be a part of things.
"

I wish they could somehow find a way to put Liir in there, even just as a nod by implying Elphaba is pregnant at the end or something. (I know they won’t do that, lol.) He’s my favorite character in the books.

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread  Apr 27 2023, 01:58:05 AM

Here’s the audio.

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread  Apr 17 2023, 07:22:35 PM

WldKingdomHM said: "Elfuhbuh said: "Ugh, I get that these are just promo photos, but why are filmmakers these days so obsessed with making everything dark and grim with the lighting? I hope the actual movies don’t look like that.

Now with the Glinda picture, I wonder if that’s supposed to be her “Glinda the Good” dress, or if that’s Galinda’s “Popular” dress, and the movie is going for a more “prom ballgo

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread  Apr 16 2023, 09:03:31 PM

Ugh, I get that these are just promo photos, but why are filmmakers these days so obsessed with making everything dark and grim with the lighting? I hope the actual movies don’t look like that. 

Now with the Glinda picture, I wonder if that’s supposed to be her “Glinda the Good” dress, or if that’s Galinda’s “Popular” dress, and the movie is going for a more “prom ballgown” look instead of the “homecomin

2022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread  Feb 3 2023, 07:04:04 PM

^ I mean, are there really enough trans/nonbinary actors to warrant an entire separate category just for them? As was mentioned earlier in this thread, that would easily fall into “Aaron Tveit for Best Actor” territory every year, so it would come across like actors are being given awards just for being trans instead of for their actual performances.

Phantom Closing?  Jan 15 2023, 02:24:53 PM

My husband and I just got back in town from our weekend trip to see Phantom a final time. It was his first musical, so this was special for him. 

We couldn’t afford fancy tickets, so I got us a couple seats in the rear mezz. Someone mentioned the sound system was updated in the Majestic, and I can easily believe that; the show was VERY loud back there, which was perfect for my part-deaf husband! We could clearly hear every word, and the orchestra was insane. We a

Lea Michele 'Special' Tony Award  Jan 13 2023, 02:13:27 AM

What has she even done to warrant a special Tony Award? Plenty of actors have gotten great reviews for their roles and brought in box office records, but they weren’t given special awards for that.

"Does Broadway Have a Trans and Drag Dilemma?"  Jan 13 2023, 02:11:23 AM

Disagreement is “whiny” now, I guess. 

November 5-11th visit recommendations!  Sep 23 2022, 11:39:44 AM

If you want to see Phantom, it might behoove you to get your tickets ahead of time. I bought tickets for a matinee in January a couple days ago, and the seats were already sparse. The show is selling like hotcakes now that people know it's going to be closing, so you might risk not getting a seat if you try the rush or lottery. 

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread  Sep 23 2022, 11:33:06 AM

No problem! For what it's worth, I've never been clear on what the time gap was actually supposed to be. Some casts play it as if it's only been a few months or years, whereas others seem to add maturity to their characters in the second act that allows for a longer interpretation of time. Maybe the movies (ugh, I still hate that I'm using plural for this) will clarify it more. 

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread  Sep 23 2022, 11:24:54 AM

I think the implication is that the Wizard grants Glinda--and by extension Fiyero, since he's her boyfriend--special favors to help them rise in prominence. At the end of Act 1, the Wizard promises to give Elphaba a bunch of influence and status if she goes along with his plan of erasing Animals from polite society, and he also extends that offer to Glinda. We're given no reason to believe that offer to Glinda was rescinded when Elphaba bailed, which would explain why Glinda and Fiyer

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread  Sep 22 2022, 02:31:18 PM

Am I missing something here? Seb28 was responding to someone else making tat weird comment about Cynthia Erivo's casting and explaining why that person was wrong, yet everyone is dogpiling Seb28 as if they're the one who was saying Elphaba would be "played as a black woman." Seb28 was saying Cynthia's race WOULDN'T factor into her performance, as the story doesn't call for it, and it's silly to assume that would change just because the race of the actress in

Has the lead for a major B'way musical/revival ever been replaced as quickly as Feldstein was in  Sep 21 2022, 07:15:29 PM

Kristen Vigard was replaced by one of the other orphan girls during the pre-Broadway tryouts for Annie and subsequently demoted to alternate for the Broadway run.

What is the lowlight of your theatre going experiences?  Sep 21 2022, 07:10:09 PM

I took my younger brother to see the TUTS production of Elf back in high school. I’ve never wanted to leave a show at intermission as badly as I wanted to leave that one. 

Phantom Closing?  Sep 20 2022, 09:25:10 PM

Update: my husband agreed to go, so I just booked our flight, hotel, and tickets to see the show in January. This is such a pick-me-up after my pregnancy loss a few months ago, so I’m actually happy about something for the first time in a while. I’m grateful Phantom is giving us one last blessing before it goes!

Phantom Closing?  Sep 20 2022, 03:03:37 PM
I somehow just found out about this today, and I’m devastated. Phantom was the first show I ever saw on Broadway back when I was 14, and it remains my most favorite musical even to this day. I wonder if I can convince my husband to slip up to New York one weekend and catch a performance before the show closes for good.

Someone else in the thread mentioned this already, but what are the chances they record the final performance to sell DVD’s like RENT did? Or even do a soundboard cast r

1776 Broadway revival cast for 2021  Aug 10 2022, 07:52:42 PM

KevinKlawitter said: "Elfuhbuh said: "I’m sorry, this is such a stupid concept for the show. Musical theatre isn’t exactly lacking in strong roles for women, and this feels like being “woke” for the sake of being woke. The producers are probably hoping someone on Twitter complains so they can have articles posted about how “sexist regressives” refuse to see the pure genius behind these casting decisions."

You DO know p

1776 Broadway revival cast for 2021  Aug 10 2022, 08:31:15 AM
I’m sorry, this is such a stupid concept for the show. Musical theatre isn’t exactly lacking in strong roles for women, and this feels like being “woke” for the sake of being woke. The producers are probably hoping someone on Twitter complains so they can have articles posted about how “sexist regressives” refuse to see the pure genius behind these casting decisions.
WICKED Film will be split into two movies, releasing December 2024 and 2025  Apr 27 2022, 09:49:00 AM

I have never been less excited for a film adaptation in my life.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You