News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for GreatWhiteGay

GreatWhiteGay Profile Photo
Member Name: GreatWhiteGay
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

SpongeBob the Musical: Viewing Thread  Dec 9 2019, 04:43:58 PM

I think - comparing to the TV show - the musical gets Squidward and (particularly) Sandy right. But I agree that they didn't capture what makes Patrick great.

The tone of the musical is also more manic/goofy than the earliest/classic seasons of the show, which is what I think most people who are familiar with Spongebob are thinking of. The musical is tonally more aligned with the new seasons of the show.

Male roles with alternates  Nov 25 2019, 05:43:18 PM

Taylor Trensch was Alex Sharp's alternate in Curious Incident

Favorite Flop?  Nov 23 2019, 12:37:44 PM

Parade - didn't see the original production but the NY Phil concert and regional productions blew me away

Be More Chill - the Broadway production scrubbed a bit of the charm away, but still one of the best scores in recent years

Bright Star - another great score

Bandstand - Laura singing Welcome Home was worth the price of admission alone

Great Comet - such a shame

Finding Neverland - they should have kept Jeremy

Little Women - could use a revival

Unintelligible LuPone  Aug 31 2018, 12:41:22 AM

Unintelligible LuPone has always been my favorite Christina Bianco impression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkXsB0kfa_o

Best best musical of the decade  Jun 11 2018, 02:29:48 PM

Without Band's Visit (hoping to see this month):

1. Dear Evan Hansen

2. Book of Mormon

3. Once

4. Gentleman's Guide

5. Kinky Boots

6. Fun Home

7. Hamilton

8. Memphis

Newsies, Matilda, American in Paris, Come From Away, and Great Comet would be higher than most of these if they had won

Titanic revival. When?  May 30 2018, 08:09:33 AM

There were rumors a while back that the Signature Theatre version would transfer, it ran in Seoul a few months ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/12/01/sail-on-titanic-from-arlington-va-to-seoul-to-broadway/?utm_term=.1b9fb4b6ef19

CHESS at the Kennedy Center  Feb 11 2018, 08:16:17 PM

Streganona said: "Unexpectedly visiting DC and could only findpartial view Orchestra seat, F-13, one seat from the wall on the left side. Looking forward to hearing this amazing cast in live performance and hoping that I'll be able to actually see them as well. I know that visibility will depend on the actual concert staging, but I'm wondering how large a slice of the stage is cut off. Thanks."

Concert staging will probably minimize how much is blocked, proba

Next for Bette Midler?  Nov 29 2017, 04:49:19 AM

I saw the show a few weeks ago and also thought Bette was just going through the motions - she does that better than most people I'm sure, but the performance felt pretty stale. Felt the same about DHP, but Gavin/Taylor/Kate were still killing it.

re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals  Nov 24 2017, 09:41:44 AM

Catch Me If You Can

Company

On The Twentieth Century

The Fix

Urinetown

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions  Nov 1 2017, 12:56:01 AM

The new jingle bell song was definitely just a plot device to avoid copyright issues, and very quick. Still funny, but not super notable like in the movie.

If the curtain call is any indicator, the show sees Cady and Regina as the leads, though I don't think Regina gets any more stage time / lines than Gretchen or Karen. Each gets a big song (Karen's was a showstopper, best of the night).

Out of 10, I would agree with around a 7.5 or 8, definitely a goo

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions  Oct 31 2017, 09:41:59 PM

Quick intermission thoughts:

Audience is eating this up, jokes are landing like crazy. Kate Rockwell and Grey Henson are standouts, Ashley Park succeeding with Gretchen's vulnerable moments.

Could definitely use cuts, act 1 drags quite a bit toward the end. But at a very good place right now. Some imaginative choreography with desks and lunch tables. Backdrop looks more like screens than projections. Some successful comedic hits with the screens, but they o

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions  Oct 31 2017, 09:35:55 PM
Understudies:
Janis - Riza Takahashi, Gianna Yanelli
Damian - DeMarius R. Copes, Brendon Stimson
Cady - Becca Petersen, Jonalyn Saxer
Ms. Heron/Norbury/George - Devon Hadsell
Mr. Duvall - Myles McHale, Brendon Stimson
Kevin - Chris Medlin, Nikhil Saboo
Aaron - Kevin Csolak, Curtis Holland
Regina - Becca Petersen, Jonalyn Saxer
Gretchen - Zurin Villanueva
Karen - Jonalyn Saxer, Zurin Villanueva

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions  Oct 31 2017, 07:59:38 PM
No song list in program. 14-member pit, pretty normal orchestration.
Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions  Oct 29 2017, 09:11:27 PM

Have tickets for first preview, will try to grab extra programs

Josh Groban Performance Schedule  Feb 9 2017, 01:38:44 AM

Chris Mann toured as Phantom a while back, definitely could be a good replacement if they're looking to keep the opera thing going. But the role wasn't conceived that way, so who knows

Musicals you love but many don't  Sep 7 2015, 04:02:51 PM

Carrie

American Idiot

Little Women

Alex Sharp's understudy Taylor.  Jun 7 2015, 11:09:05 PM

I saw Taylor first and slightly prefer him. Not by much though, both were superb. I do wish that both were recognized in some way during awards season, but I'm not sure how that would have been possible.

Curious Incident...Comparing Christophers  Feb 8 2015, 05:30:15 PM
Saw Taylor a few months ago, and just saw Alex this weekend. Both are amazing, but I slightly preferred Taylor's interpretation. So don't worry if you have tickets for a Wednesday evening or Sunday matinee show, you can't go wrong either way.
Curious Incident Rush  Feb 8 2015, 05:26:28 PM
I rushed on Saturday for the matinee, got three tickets at around 10:20AM. Our seats were in the second row orchestra to the right, obstructed view. The obstruction was one of the benches, basically anything on the ground or near to it wasn't visible. When someone is sitting on the bench, that also obstructs a lot of the action. Great show, but definitely something to think about when rushing.
Song from musical you are obsessed with  Jan 2 2015, 01:13:02 AM
Morning Glow - Pippin
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You