Next for Bette Midler?

Theatrefanboy1
#1Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 6:16am

As Ms. Midler is only six weeks away from wrapping her performances with Hello, Dolly. Any thoughts on what would be next for her? I know she's said before that after long runs and tours she likes to take a six month break or so.

Personally, I would love to see her tour again. As well, one can only hope that they've filmed her performance for BroadwayHD or PBS or DVD. Such an enjoyable performance.

But other than that... A film? A new Album? Tour? Thoughts?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 7:07am

Pretty sure people have said that no recording has been or will be done.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#3Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 9:56am

Clearly, she's tired and needs a rest.  After seeing the show over the holiday weekend, it feels like she's doing what she did during her Vegas run:  Coasting until the contract is up.

Sure, the audience goes nuts for her name, but it's Donna Murphy who's giving the real performance as Dolly Levi.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#4Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 10:29am

That's too bad you felt that way, BenjaminNicholas2.  One of my nearest & dearest friends, who posts on here all the time, just saw Bette 2 weeks ago again, and she said was fantastic - as she has been since the show opened.  

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#5Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 10:34am

Theatrefanboy1 said: "As well, one can only hope that they've filmed her performance for BroadwayHD or PBS or DVD. Such an enjoyable performance."

I keep hoping the week off between Bette and Bernadette is to record Bette in the role for distribution.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#6Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 10:35am

That sure would be great if a dvd of the show was released with Bette.  But, I think we can all agree - that's not going to happen.  

TheatreRocks Profile Photo
TheatreRocks
#7Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 10:48am

Next for Bette Midler? A nice glass of wine and a spa day along with all the naps in the world. Playing Dolly Levi for 10 months is A LOT.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#8Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 11:08am

BenjaminNicholas2 said: "Clearly, she's tired and needs a rest. After seeing the show over the holiday weekend, it feels like she's doing what she did during her Vegas run: Coasting until the contract is up.

Sure, the audience goes nuts for her name, but it's Donna Murphy who's giving the real performance as Dolly Levi.
"

I would agree.  having seen the show a week before it opened, Bette was already tired and vocally strained. We just saw Donna Murphy a couple of weeks ago (I know she's not doing the show 8 times a week) but she was fantastic.  So much energy and vocally, amazing.  She was doing a character.  Bette is doing Bette.  I'm glad I saw Bette but I wouldn't go again.  i would see Donna again she was that good.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#9Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 11:47am

BuddyStarr said: "I would agree. having seen the show a week before it opened, Bette was already tired and vocally strained."

Weird, doing rehearsals during the day and performing at night affected her energy and voice?! Who'd've thought?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#10Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 12:43pm

Pretty sure people have said that no recording has been or will be done.

Though not officially, Bette's performance in HELLO, DOLLY! has indeed been excellently captured in video form.  Sadly it does not have Gavin Creel as Cornelius but the rest of the original Broadway cast's performance is captured for eternity.  

Rumor has it that a handful of people were fired when this video surfaced and security was immediately raised higher so its unlikely a video will surface with Donna's performance or any others with the full original Broadway cast.    

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#11Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 1:37pm

There is a Donna video available and circulating.

Jazzman714
#12Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 1:38pm

Christian Dante White's amazing performance was captured in that bootleg. His performance as Cornelius is all the more amazing when you consider that, at that early preview, he'd had very little (if any) stage rehearsal time. It's a smooth and confident performance.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#13Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 1:59pm

poisonivy2 said: "There is a Donna video available and circulating."

There are TWO Donna videos available and circulating. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#14Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 2:13pm

poisonivy2 said: "There is a Donna video available and circulating."

There are TWO Donna videos available and circulating. 

Good to learn that security at the Shubert Theatre on Tuesday nights is more relaxed.  

10086sunset
#15Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 2:33pm

I wouldn't be shocked to see her come back at some point for a short run.

Dollypop
#16Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 5:46pm

Okay, let's put to rest the rumor that the show is being filmed in HD in the week between Bette's last and Bernadette's first performance.

That week is needed to tech changes being made in the show for Bernadette. I have this info from someone in the cast who is definitely "In the know".

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#17Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 7:04pm

I'd say she deserves a nice long rest.  Perhaps she will become more involved in social causes including her love of urban greenery.  

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#18Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 7:55pm

If, hypothetically, there were any bootlegs available, where would a Dolly fan find one to send to her mother who came from Wisconsin in a wheelchair (by plane, but you know what I mean) to watch the show?

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#19Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 8:25pm

There are actually 2 Bette's and 3 Donna bootlegs floating around.  And I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last time you see Bette's Dolly.  But definitely the last time on Broadway.  And as far as the one is better than the other thing... What a bunch of morons.  

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#20Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 9:01pm

Dollypop said: "Okay, let's put to rest the rumor that the show is being filmed in HD in the week between Bette's last and Bernadette's first performance.

That week is needed to tech changes being made in the show for Bernadette. I have this info from someone in the cast who is definitely "In the know".
"

I didn't say I heard it was true. I said I wished they would do it then, heh...

Jarethan
#21Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/28/17 at 9:37pm

nealb1 said: "That's too bad you felt that way, BenjaminNicholas2. One of my nearest & dearest friends, who posts on here all the time, just saw Bette 2 weeks ago again, and she said was fantastic - as she has been since the show opened."

I agree with Benjamin.  Murphy gave a great performance; Midler walked through the performance I saw...was funny and warm, but went through the motions in the actual musical numbers IMO.  I was hugely disappointed, since I have been a fan since I don't know when, and have loved her in everything...until Dolly. Because I know she could have been a lot better than the performance I saw.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#22Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/29/17 at 1:05am

BenjaminNicholas2 said: "Clearly, she's tired and needs a rest. After seeing the show over the holiday weekend, it feels like she's doing what she did during her Vegas run: Coasting until the contract is up.

"

this. I was also there this past weekend. I agree with what BenjaminN says. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#23Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/29/17 at 1:07am

Jarethan said: "nealb1 said: "That's too bad you felt that way, BenjaminNicholas2. One of my nearest & dearest friends, who posts on here all the time, just saw Bette 2 weeks ago again, and she said was fantastic - as she has been since the show opened."

I agree with Benjamin. Murphy gave a great performance; Midler walked through the performance I saw...was funny and warm, but went through the motions in the actual musical numbers IMO. I was hugely disappointed, since I have been a fan since I don't know when, and have loved her in everything...until Dolly. Because I know she could have been a lot better than the performance I saw.

"

Another pissing contest on BWW?  I have now seen Bette numerous times and not once has she walked through the show.   Actually she is better and better every time.   I have seen Donna and she was wonderful as well but it wasn't the same magical experience.   Ahh.. live theater.. different strokes for different folk.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#24Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/29/17 at 2:35am

BenjaminNicholas2.  I know she could have been a lot better than the performance I saw.

I THINK this came from this poster---sorry if it didn't BUT, how can you possibly know she could have been a lot better? She MIGHT have been giving the best perfomance she could that night and that performance is the only one you can judge it on [unless you have seen multiple others]..

Your imagination and expectations obviously weren't met, but 'knowing she could be better?' is your flight of fantasy.

It's awful when your Goddess lets you down, and you know, Bette did it on purpose as she knew you were there that night but she will be LOTS better next time you go.

"

Updated On: 11/29/17 at 02:35 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#25Next for Bette Midler?
Posted: 11/29/17 at 2:37am

I don't blame those that felt disappointed. Especially embarrassing for Bette when both Patti LuPone and Christine Ebersole were running circles around her just a few blocks away. Bernadette Peters is waiting in the wings to impress, though.

* I wasn’t personally disappointed. Maybe the vocals but my expectations were managed early on. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 11/29/17 at 02:37 AM