News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for IndyTheatreGeek

Member Name: IndyTheatreGeek
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Best experience you've had at a show?  Feb 18 2018, 05:19:10 AM

uncageg said: "Have had a number of them. A few that come to mind are:

snip

Most recently, HELLO DOLLY with Donna Murphy. Have not smiled that much at the theater in a long time.

I totally agree on this one.  Donna Murphy was fantastic and I'm glad I saw her in this show.

Probably the best show was Driving Miss Daisy with James Earle Jones and Vanessa Redgrave.  James Earl and Vanessa worked together so well.  I had a seat t

The Nether vs Let The Right One In  Feb 28 2015, 09:07:52 PM
I also vote for Let the Right One In. Saw it in London last May and it was the best show of my trip.
Disenchanted, anyone?  Jan 18 2015, 09:23:52 PM
That was my impression. The actresses were pretty good, the songs fun, but the staging was pretty basic. It seemed like a series of songs with a similar theme but was missing a narrative to pull it together. The audience was ahem, interesting. There were groups that drove in from central Jersey to see it. And patrons that had a bit too much to drink. The person sitting behind me upchucked during the show, and I overheard another lady saying the lights made her dizzy for the first half hour
Male Character Parts  Dec 8 2014, 08:00:17 PM
Two of my favorites are Grandpa Potts and Baron Bomburst in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang I use Posh at certain auditions.
John Lithgow Stage Door  Oct 1 2014, 10:08:11 PM
I've seen him both on Broadway and on tour with his one man show. He was always very nice and willing to sign and do photos. Great guy.
Jerry Springer: The Opera?  Sep 6 2014, 04:18:01 AM
I saw it in London with David Soul playing Jerry Springer. I thought it was quite good. Perhaps it got a better reception over there because that's how many secretly perceive us in the US while we here hope the show does not mirror our society.
london cast cd's  Sep 6 2014, 04:07:55 AM
Let me join in suggesting DressCircle.com I loved going into their shop on my London visits and they really knew what was going on. Unfortunately they have closed the retail shop but are still doing business via the net. They have a good range of theatre related merchandise in addition to cds. They have also added a preowned section. I've also ordered via mail order and there were no problems.
I Love Lucy Tour  Aug 22 2014, 06:05:08 PM
I saw it early this year with most of the original cast. It was enjoyable but you probably have to be a fan to really appreciate it. It's an interesting insight into the show and early TV. I'd love to hear any info on the current cast as well.
Favorite Sally?  Aug 21 2014, 01:38:40 AM
Not on Broadway, but Lisa O'Hare was an amazing Sally in Reprise Theater Company's production in LA a few years back. If she leaves Gentleman's Guide she would be a great choice.
Worst broadway shows you've seen  Aug 19 2014, 12:28:21 AM
Karen Cartwright said, "I'll throw in "Titanic" and "Martin Guerre""

The way Martin Guerre was bastardized for the US made it unwatchable. I thoroughly enjoyed the show when I saw it in London. I've seen a number of shows that were much better before being doctored for American audiences. But the Brits sometimes also take a good show and turn it into dreck a la Rent Remixed.

Worst and best examples of stunt casting.  Aug 17 2014, 11:44:37 PM
I have to agree Fran Drescher was the worst I've seen in NY. Her voice just didn't fit the show at all, much as I love her ordinarily.

Worst in London, Jerry Springer in Chicago. His Billy Flynn couldn't find the correct note throughout the show, to say nothing of a performance that was flat as well.

Worst broadway shows you've seen  Aug 13 2014, 07:27:01 PM
Broadway
Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson
Footloose

West End
Bakersfield Mist
Woman in Black (orig at Royal Court)

Booking Hotel/Show for One Night  Aug 12 2014, 11:08:22 PM
In general, you are probably best off buying hotel and tickets separately (And you know what seats you will get.) Les Miz has been pretty available at TKTS for 50% off recently. Hotels tend to be more expensive mid week if they get business travelers. I've seen Pod 51 but not stayed there as I prefer a hotel closer to Broadway and the theaters. What I have noticed is that hotel prices change, sometimes daily as rooms are sold or not sold.

Three months out is very early to be booki

Chicken Fat  Aug 12 2014, 10:34:08 PM
That is Meredith Willson, not Wilson. Quite an interesting guy who worked in TV, radio, and Hollywood as well as Broadway. Any OTR fans might have heard him on the Burns and Allen or Jack Benny programs.

Being in Jr High when Chicken Fat came out, I have very bright memories of doing the exercises in the record at the start of every gym class that year. So bright that when the song was used in the Apple commercial this year I could hear that it was not the same but close after not he

Which Broadway Diva Are You? Quiz  Aug 12 2014, 09:55:59 PM
The voting is rigged. I got Audra too.
Phantom sro  Aug 9 2014, 08:04:09 PM
Phantom is also usually available at TKTS, usually for 50% off. That makes it about $75 for orchestra, not close in price to the last row at $27 but IMHO much better seats and worth the increase.
TKTS Booth Question  Aug 9 2014, 08:01:30 PM
Like Patash said, I've rarely had them give a choice. In July the seat the computer gave was way to the left for Newsies and she found me a better seat without me even asking. That is rare, it's usually take it or leave it. I have seen people with special needs such as being afraid of heights or needing an aisle due to leg problems accommodated. But it is very much YMMV.
The Winter Garden Theatre Documentary  Aug 9 2014, 12:14:18 AM
Very nice, thank you. I would have liked to have seen backstage and the wings-some of the rollouts in Rocky were so large it would have been interesting to see the space they came from.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?  Aug 9 2014, 12:10:15 AM
Charlie seems to be struggling to fill seats in London. Not the sort of show that you would think would fill a big house without some serious show doctoring. Most people I've spoken with in London who have seen the show did not find it to be a great show. It's reputation is as a second show to take the kiddies to if they've already seen Matilda.
TKTS Booth Question  Aug 8 2014, 11:59:42 PM
The earlier you get there the better your seat in my experience. Often side orchestra in the first 10 rows for shows that aren't in very high demand. However, sometimes shows release additional seats later in the day that could be better so it's a YMMV situation.

The TKTS computers select what they think are the best seats at the time and the sales folks have little leeway to get you other seats.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You