News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for antz

antz Profile Photo
Member Name: antz
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Catch Me If You Can is TOO LATE TO FIX!
 Aug 12 2009, 02:21:54 AM
It's not too late to fix, but it does need a little work (a little). Unlike Young Frankenstein (which I did not like at all), this show is really close.

Saw it tonight, and without repeating too much on this thread, they need a new ending (two brilliant 11 o'clock numbers (Fly, Fly Away and Goodbye) and then it just fizzles. Intended to be emotional, it falls short.

They also need to tighten the book. Especially in Act I which feels very slow in parts.

The score is g

re: showstopping moments in songs
 Jul 24 2009, 02:19:55 AM
The production was just ok, but Brian Stokes Mitchell's "Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha literally took my breath away.

Defying Gravity from Wicked

The end of Blood Brothers (no other musical has made me sob like an idiot)

I also have to admit that Sara Ramirez's 'Whatever happened to my part?' from Spamalot left me rolling on the floor. A show stopper in a very different way.

re: CATCH ME IF YOU CAN Cancels First Two Previews at Seattle's 5th Avenue
 Jul 23 2009, 07:56:30 PM
Two more shows will be added next week. Even though I had tickets for this week's previews, they did the right thing to cancel.

Condolences to the Butz family.

re: Drugs in musicals ?
 Jul 2 2009, 10:57:08 PM
Morphine Tango - Kiss of the Spiderwoman
Catch Me If You Can (Sneak Peek in Seattle)
 Jun 10 2009, 01:11:58 AM
I just got back from a little spotlight on the new musical Catch Me If You Can in Seattle. Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman, Terrence McNally, Jack O'Brien,Jerry Mitchell John McDanieland, and even Bob Mackie were on hand to talk about the production.

I have to admit I was a bit skeptical about yet another recent movie turned musical, but then Marc started describing the story being told as a 60s tv extravaganza with big production numbers, etc. I was easily convinced that the concept was g

re: The Billy Elliot Love Thread
 Oct 4 2008, 02:49:17 AM
This is an amazing show! Saw it in London and can't wait to see it here.
Loved it!

re: Songs with colors in the title
 Oct 4 2008, 02:48:12 AM
Big, Blonde and Beautiful - Hairspray

Red, Hot and Blue - Red, Hot and Blue (Nothing says good ol' fashioned Broadway like Ethel Merman.

Vanilla Ice Cream - She Loves Me (more the flavor rather than color, but such a fun song)

My Favorite Things - Sound of Music (lot's of colors...bright copper kettles, brown paper packages, cream colored ponies, girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes, silver white winters that melt into springs)

Sunday - Sunday in the

re: Favorite Set Designs
 Sep 13 2008, 03:13:07 PM
Billy Elliot (London)

Wicked

Sunday In The Park With George (revival)

Sweeney Todd (Original)

An Inspector Calls (loved when the house collapsed...didn't see that coming)

Shrek (If only the music worked as well as the set...the set is not "spectacular" like YF or LK, but it works very well)...like a cross between Spamalot and Beauty and the Beast

Spring Awakening (the simplicity works)

Show Boat (revival)

Kiss of the Spider

re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
 Sep 13 2008, 03:48:47 AM
Saw it 9/11 and have to agree with Greenwich on all accounts. The cast is phenomenal. Sutton Foster is brilliant as Fiona. Didn't care for her in Thoroughly and hated her in Young Frankenstein (didn't like YF, but I digress), but her voice is wonderful in Shrek.

Chester is great as Donkey, in fact I wouldn't change a thing about his performance other than the costume really, really needs to be fixed. His performance is just as good as he was in Hairspray and Cry-Baby.

Lord Far

re: Best act 1 finale
 Aug 4 2008, 06:57:49 PM
Great choices everyone! Here are mine (mostly repeats):

One Day More (I love how all the song themes are mixed together)
Sunday (simply beautiful)
Oh Brand New Day from Blood Brothers (Such an optimistic song for such a tragedy)
Defying Gravity (speaks for itself)
Gimme Love from Kiss of the Spider Woman
Saturday Night in the City from Wedding Singer (not a great musical, but really fun end of act 1)
A Little Priest (of course)

re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
 Jun 9 2008, 09:57:06 PM
Love them all, but if I must choose, today it would be:
1) Assassins
2) Sunday in the Park with George
3) Sweeney
5) Company
6) Follies
7) A Little Night Music
Into the Woods
9) Funny Thing Happened
10) Pacific Overtures

See, they're all great! Not to mention as a lyricist: West Side Story, and Gypsy

re: How did 'Wicked' lose Best Musical to a show about puppets?
 Jun 2 2008, 10:46:38 PM
I loved both shows and they're both so different! I don't think Wicked needs to worry about not having the Tony...They've got the box office (They're still at #1 making a killing). Avenue Q was something fresh. Like Spring Awakening last year and ITH this year.

by the way, "As Long as You're Mine" is a great duet as is "A Fine Fine Line"

re: Young Frankenstein-Tony's...What Happened?
 May 18 2008, 12:51:57 PM
YF is an ok show. I was mildly entertained, but it really doesn't have a great score. As many on here have said, it's forgettable. The show runs too long for what it is. I do think it should have gotten costume over ITH, but that's about it. As for Roger Bart: I love him, he works hard, but it's not a winning role. I haven't seen South Pacific yet, so I can't speak for Paulo Szotz, but all the other performances (and their respective roles) are much better. I don't think YF was snubbed...it just
re: Olga Merediz Tony Nod. Very well deserving.
 May 13 2008, 10:22:06 PM
Her performance of PYF in ITH is definitely a show stopper. A well deserved nomination. Congrats!
Biggest Tony upset ever?
 May 13 2008, 10:17:33 PM
Martin Short (Little Me) over Brent Carver (Parade)

The rest have all been said, but worth repeating...

Though I loved the show tremendously, I wouldn't call what they do in Spring Awakening, choreography. That was truly an upset.

Will Rogers Follies winning over either Miss Saigon or The Secret Garden

LaChanze over Patti

Unpopular Opinions You Hold
 Jan 13 2008, 02:03:32 AM
I didn't think The Producers deserved all those Tonys.
I liked Phantom the first time I saw it (I now loathe it).
I still listen to the Miss Saigon cast recording.
I don't understand how Thoroughly Modern Millie won the Tony for Best Musical.
Chita Rivera is all that.
I thought Madonna made a pretty good Evita.
Chenoweth can be really grating to listen to after awhile.

re: crybaby reviews?
 Nov 25 2007, 04:00:50 PM
Saw it last night (24th). Great show...way more potential than YF despite YF having all that money behind it. The writing was actually very good and lyrically the parodies and spoofs were clever, witty, and funny. Stand-outs included Harriet Harris (She and Andrea Martin should both be in the running for a Tony). The dancing(espectially license plate number / prison break scene) was brilliant. Finally, another stand-out number was a parody of Patsy Cline's 'Crazy' called "Screw Loose". Alli Mauz
re: 2008 Tony Predictions for Best Musical
 Nov 25 2007, 03:46:36 PM
Having just gotten back from "Cry Baby" at La Jolla and seen "YF", I'd say Cry Baby has a huge edge over YF.

While YF has the $$$ and a fabulous cast (Andrea Martin should win something), the actual musical, Cry Baby itself, is a much better show and should edge out YF. Cry Baby is already a great show, and has time to improve before opening. YF is just one giant spectacle and not a great show.

re: Young Frankenstein IS a Good Show!
 Nov 10 2007, 02:02:36 AM
I thought YF was just an ok show (I didn't think the Producers was that great either). I still enjoyed it, but I don't really disagree with the critics.

Funny, I loved the cast, choreography, costumes, set, and found the score to be the weakest part of the show. Oh well, apart from the $450 premium price, the show will survive the critics for a while, but it won't have a terribly long run.

re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Reviews
 Nov 9 2007, 01:36:05 AM
I'd have to agree with both Variety and NYTimes. Ir's too bad though, I had a great time at the show (though I though it was only mediocre) when I saw it in out of town previews in Seattle and thought they had enough time to tighten it up and edit things here and there. It sounds like they didn't do very much...the runtime is still 2hrs 40min (Act one is waaaaay too long). Still, I'm glad they give Sutton Foster and Andrea Martin recognition. Roger Bart worked for me too.

Still, I agre

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You