Drugs in musicals ?

Solstrom Profile Photo
Solstrom
#1Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/27/09 at 6:18pm

Hello !
I'm currently searching all songs in musicals about drugs (as "Haschich" in Hair by exemple).
Could you help me please?

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#2re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/27/09 at 6:20pm

My Phychopharmacologist... 'Next to Normal'

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#2re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/27/09 at 6:31pm

I personally like "Hashish" from HAIR. What kind-of drug is "Haschich?"

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#3re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/27/09 at 6:36pm

Everything in THE WILD PARTY.

"Coffee" in SEE WHAT I WANNA SEE is all about cocaine and Diyanna spends most of the act snorting it onstage.

Tons of stuff in LITTLE FISH.

And then there's THE ACT... while not exactly ABOUT drugs, the influence is so great that... well, I think the show speaks for itself! LOVE it.

P

AndAllThatJazz22
#4re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/27/09 at 7:40pm

'Hashish' in Hair.

'Walking in Space' from Hair could work because they are all supposed to be high in that song.

Literally every song in 'Bright Lights, Big City' has drug mentions in it.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

Jon
#5re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/27/09 at 7:42pm

"White Horse" from THE ME NOBODY KNOWS is about heroin.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#6re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/27/09 at 7:46pm

A few songs in Passing Strange.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

SporkGoddess
#7re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/27/09 at 8:00pm

Pretty much all of Reefer Madness?

And "The Morphine Tango" from Kiss of the Spider Woman.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

bwayfan7000
#8re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/27/09 at 8:01pm

I can't believe no one has mentioned RENT! There are drug references throughout, but most notably in, I believe, Christmas Bells, with the long list of drugs that the addicts want from the dealer. Also, in places like Another Day, when Roger asks Mimi "...why do you need smack?" etc.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Mattbrain
#9re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/27/09 at 10:30pm

In The Life, we've got Fleetwood who's a coke addict.

In Brooklyn, Taylor's a drug addict.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Gothampc
#10re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/27/09 at 10:55pm

Amyl nitrate in Nunsense

heroin in Mack & Mabel

Acid Queen in Tommy

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 6/27/09 at 10:55 PM

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#11re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/28/09 at 1:23am

"Rolling" from Bare

And though this isn't really official, I once saw this AMAZING production of Macbeth that was set in modern-day Scotland. So instead of being heavy in Shakespeare-speak, it was littered with Scottish idioms and slang. Anyway, if you'll believe me there was a skating ramp and live rock band on stage, mostly just playing instrumental. Now as awful as all this sounds, it was actually pretty good. The best part was during Lady Macbeth's death. The band played their only lyric-heavy song, entitled "Out Out Brief Candle", this song that used Shakespeare's own words and made them into a beautiful, haunting lament. Now here is where the drugs come in. They staged it so that Lady Mac killed herself by heroine overdose. Surprisingly they showed a lot of it, including her getting it out, "heating" it, tying herself off, using the syringe, and as the music reached this crescendo the drugs took their effect and she spun around the room before eventually falling to the floor, dead. It was really affective and one of the best uses of drugs in drama that I have ever had the good fortune of seeing.

Also, if memory serves: speed-the-plow. I'm not sure if it was mentioned, shown, or if was just the manic way Esparza played the role, but I would say cocaine is involved (not alluding to actual cocaine use, just the character).

Solstrom Profile Photo
Solstrom
#12re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/28/09 at 7:45am

Thanks so much and sorry for the typing mistake...Well, I really need of title of songs and the name of the musical, not situation or character's addict (even if it's always good to know)...Did you know others songs ?

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#13re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/28/09 at 10:52am

"Sniff, Sniff," from Marty Short's Fame Becomes Me, is a song about his coke addiction.

Lohania
#14re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/28/09 at 11:12am

"Everybody Today Is Turning On" from "I Love My Wife." Good clip of this song being performed on network TV by Bea Arthur and Rock Hudson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3VbSfQ3nAM

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#15re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/28/09 at 11:13am

"Saturn Returns" from Myths and Hymns is a metaphor for Guettal's drug addiction.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#16re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/28/09 at 4:55pm

THE FROGS

ONSTAGE: "All Aboard" - weed

OFFSTAGE: Kattan - blow

P

ghostlight2
#17re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/28/09 at 7:06pm

There's "Don't 'Ah, Ma' Me" - cocaine from The Rink.
Updated On: 6/28/09 at 07:06 PM

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#18re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/28/09 at 8:53pm

ACID QUEEN from The Who's Tommy. But Then again every song in Tommy is about drugs. But Acid queen is one of the great Broadway villain songs of All time!

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#19re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/28/09 at 9:04pm

The Acid Queen is not a villain in TOMMY. She does exactly what Tommy's Father (or Stepfather as in the film) pays her to do - shoot him up with drugs and/or have sex with him. She does this and nothing more, like a good prostitute. Just because she is flamboyent and "fabulous" does not make her a villain.

Uncle Ernie and Cousin Kevin, on the other hand, are clear villains for they do what they do to Tommy under the pretense they are "watching" and "protecting" him as a cousin and uncle would assumedly do (without torturing and/or molesting him) out of love dictated by premogenature (aka kinship).

The Hawker, I suppose, could be considered a villain for "luring" Tommy's Step-father into the idea that drugs and sex will cure his stepson. But Tommy's Stepfather is more to blame than the Hawker (or the Acid Queen) because he makes the decision on Tommy's behalf to do what he feels must be done. I can understand his desperation but it's Tommy's mother who is really to blame if we must place blame. Or the war.

And Townshend would never agree that drugs are villainous in any way, let alone the Townshend of circa 1969 when he wrote TOMMY.

"Uncle Ernie" and "Cousin Kevin" were the sole songs written by anyone but Townshend (Entwistle and Moon wrote them) because he found the topics hitting to close-to-home and "disturbing" to a victim of childhood abuse who hadn't faced all his demons yet.

P

Updated On: 6/28/09 at 09:04 PM

ghostlight2
#20re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/28/09 at 9:59pm

Ain't Misbehavin' - The Viper Rag - marijuana.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#21re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 6/29/09 at 5:00am

The Old Dope Peddler - Tomfoolery (certain versions)
You're Getting to be a Habit with Me - 42nd Street (compares love to a drug)
I Get A Kick Out Of You - Anything Goes (it mentions cocaine)
Coffee Break - How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (if you can count caffeine)
The Rhythm of Life - Sweet Charity (Marijuana, not mentioned in the song, but they're all high)
Out of my Dreams / Dream Ballet - Oklahoma (well, she sniffs smelling salts and then has a vivid dream...jk)
Updated On: 6/29/09 at 05:00 AM

Solstrom Profile Photo
Solstrom
#22re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 3:40am

Thanks so much for all !

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#23re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 4:37am

"Happy Dust" in Porgy & Bess although technically it's not a musical.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#24re: Drugs in musicals ?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 8:15am

"Initials" from Hair also has some drug references.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 7/1/09 at 08:15 AM

Videos