News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for nutterbutter

nutterbutter Profile Photo
Member Name: nutterbutter
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: What Off-Broadway Shows Would You Recommend?
 Nov 12 2007, 10:13:07 AM
Definitely FRANKENSTEIN. It's a wonderful show with amazing performers. Top notch production.

I'd also like to see THE GLORIOUS ONES.

re: Thoughts on Frankenstein
 Nov 7 2007, 08:40:48 PM
I loved it as well, and have talked with a few other folks who felt the same as I. I hope it has a successful run.

To each his own, I suppose.

re: FRANKENSTEIN Reviews
 Nov 3 2007, 08:44:17 PM
A wonderful review from Gannett News Service.
re: FRANKENSTEIN Reviews
 Nov 3 2007, 05:23:49 PM
FRANKENSTEIN is a wonderful show, IMHO.

I just think it's REALLY interesting that the last several posts, most of which were positive reviews, have been deleted.

re: Songs to tap to?
 Oct 30 2007, 05:29:45 PM
LOVE "Cold Feet". That's a great choice.

Also, I'd look at "Moses" from SINGIN IN THE RAIN, and one that's not done too much, "I Want to be Happy" from NO NO NANETTE.

re: Disney Movies You Wish Would Be Musicals
 Oct 25 2007, 11:45:13 AM
Though I know ANASTASIA is not Disney but Fox, I think it would be an awesome musical. I love that story. The real life mystery surrounding Anastasia is fascinating.
re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
 Oct 25 2007, 11:39:47 AM
Cool video about the show I found on the FRANKENSTEIN website.

re: A Tale of two Franks!
 Oct 23 2007, 01:54:23 PM
Well, it mainly brought to mind the current debates we have in our lives today, over such things as stem cell research, cloning, abortion, etc. All of these issues we face today have the same central theme…What is Life? When does it begin? Should we be creating or tampering with it? Does a “soul” equal life? How far should science go when it comes to human life? These themes are so prevalent in FRANKENSTEIN, both the novel and the show, and what I find so astounding is that this novel nearly 200 years ago, and by an 18-year-old girl, no less.

I think inevitably, a show such as FRANKENSTEIN will get compared to others in its genre, such as JEKYLL AND HYDE. It tends to get thrown in with all of the other Victorian gothic pieces. Heck, most people think FRANKENSTEIN takes place in London in the late 1800’s. (when it actually takes place in Germany and Switzerland in the late 1700’s) That is unfortunate, however, for most people do not realize this novel, which the show follows very closely, was written nearly 100 years before all of the others. It is a novel of the Romantic era, not the Victorian.

Although the show is clearly set in the past, I really liked the way the time period was kept almost intentionally vague, with the set being quite modern, and the costumes suggestive rather than literal. To me, that again brings forward the theme that these issues are still very much alive today. And that is where I believe that this show IS so different than a JEKYLL, which was very much set everything in a big, distinct, literal, period.

FRANKENSTEIN is not about a big, scary, green guy with bolts. For me, it is about the hubris of man, and our eternal quest for life over death.

(and now, class dismissed. )

re: A Tale of two Franks!
 Oct 23 2007, 10:25:33 AM
I saw FRANKENSTIEN on their first preview night, and thought it wonderful. I won’t go into detail again, as I wrote a review a couple of weeks ago, but I thought it a beautiful, thought provoking show. I'm sure they have made some changes since the first night, so I’m looking forward to going back and seeing it again once it officially opens.
re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
 Oct 13 2007, 01:54:47 PM
I was there opening preview night. I thought it a wonderful show as well. Unfortunately, my review went the way of the vanished posts!

The run time was about 2:05. Perfect.

They were selling lots of cool merchandise, actually. They had t-shirts (both regular and “junior fit”), and two different styles of caps.

The more I reflect on the show, the more I think I’ll probably head back once it is officially open. I’m sure there will have been some changes made, and it’

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You