pixeltracker

Frankenstein (the musical) (aka "Hunterstein" as coined by Anakela)

Frankenstein (the musical) (aka "Hunterstein" as coined by Anakela)

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#1Frankenstein (the musical) (aka "Hunterstein" as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/13/07 at 12:15pm

I saw Frankenstein (the musical) last night. It was the third preview. I enjoyed it. It's a little rough still, particularly the first act ~ I felt like the second act flowed a lot better. Bill Fennelly (the director) greeted us before it started and thanked us for being part of their process. He said they'd been in rehearsals all day and there weer a couple of brand new things we were going to see. He said to bear with them if there were any "bumps in the night...or what you affectionately call a train wreck" and said if that happened, we'd see him again. No major bumps that I could tell. A few glitches here and there with microphones not being up enough, but nothing GLARING that I could see. The music could be a little softer...or at least have a little more variation. It's a small orchestra...only keyboards, percussion, bass and guitar. The concept recording medley on the website has a much fuller sounding orchestra...the show might benefit from that. But it's pretty music.

The cast was really good. Hunter could work on being conflicted a little more ~ especially about creating the bride ~ but I enjoyed his performance. You really see Victor as a human with feelings and emotions, not just this mad scientist. "The Coming of the Dawn" is BEAUTIFUL!!! Steve Blanchard is good as the Creature. He has an affected walk as the Creature that sometimes gets lost and vanishes in other stuff...but I have a feeling consistency with it will come as the show settles in. Christiane Noll is very good, even if sometimes it was hard to see the reason Elizabeth was on stage.

The staging is interesting. Lots of going up and down stairs on both sides of the stage. The setting is told by images on video screens, primarily one on the right as you look at the stage. Other designs will come up on there as well throughout the scenes. There's also a screen at the back that is used for scenery. There does seem to be a lot of walking around that's purpose wasn't always clear to me except the necessary getting actors on and off stage.

For a third preview, I was impressed and think it's got a lot of potential. I know I plan on going back as it settles in to see how the show evolves.

My biggest complaint had nothing to do with the show but with the audience members around me. There was a family behind me...the son was allowed to buy m&ms in the lobby and proceeded to eat them by pulling them out of the bag one at a time ~ until the woman next to me turned around and whispered "Would you PLEASE stop it!" Somehow his father ~ who was directly behind me ~ didn't get the message (or he was intentionally trying to be annoying). He had concealed an entire dinner in a Duane Reade bag and proceeded to take things out one at a time during the production, rustling the bag interminably. The 2 seats next to me were empty for a third of Act I when their occupants came in (ok, it was annoying that they really didn't wait for a break ~ granted there were not many as songs tended to go right into each other ~ to seat people...instead they'd seat them whenever they came in) and proceeded to demonstrate that they had probably been holed up in bed somewhere and still needed to be there. The man was constantly pawing at the woman, and they were pretty consistently whispering to each other and kissing. I'm surprised the people behind them didn't say anything. There were a couple of empty seats in the third or fourth row in the center on the aisle, so I scooted up there at intermission. Which could be why I enjoyed the second act more...less distractions. :)

Overall, I enjoyed it.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#2re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/13/07 at 12:22pm

ok so I didn't read the review, just because I don't want to go in knowing too much before I see it week after next, but I just had to say "Hunterstein"- lol! I'd almost forgotten about that...at least now it's not lost to the great lost threads abyss. :)

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#2re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/13/07 at 12:23pm

It's a nice way to differentiate them! :) Thanks for the term!

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#3re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/13/07 at 12:38pm

Dont forget Anakela coined " Frankenforsters" too for the Fosters siblings ...

Great Review BTW- I am glad you enjoyed it re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)

J*
Updated On: 10/13/07 at 12:38 PM

stephen3
#4re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/13/07 at 12:53pm

I saw the show last night as well. Loved it.
It's rough here and there and a couple of the songs might need to be trimmed/cut in the first act, but overall very well constructed and played.
For the 3rd preivew it was unbelievibly smooth. Could this Frankenstein turn out to be the Frankenstein that people like the most of the two? I think that's an interesting question given that they are such different shows on the playing level.
Hunter and Steve are awesome!

worrell4077
#5re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/13/07 at 1:13pm

I'm seeing this on the 27th, got my tickets through TDF(26.25 a piece). I'm really excited about seeing it because I'm such a fan of Hunter's and I'm really interested in seeing him as Victor. Also, Gary P. Cohen, the original story adaptor or whatever it was he did, was my Play Production professor.

shesamarshmallow
#6re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/13/07 at 1:20pm

What's the run time?

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/13/07 at 1:27pm

From the musicals website , the demo CD is sold out but there will be a cast recording of the show . Hopefully it actually happens.

There is was also a bare bones legal video of it from their website. It is not their now,

Are they selling any merchandise (tee shirts magnets etc)?

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/13/07 at 01:27 PM

nutterbutter Profile Photo
nutterbutter
#8re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/13/07 at 1:54pm

I was there opening preview night. I thought it a wonderful show as well. Unfortunately, my review went the way of the vanished posts!

The run time was about 2:05. Perfect.

They were selling lots of cool merchandise, actually. They had t-shirts (both regular and “junior fit”), and two different styles of caps.

The more I reflect on the show, the more I think I’ll probably head back once it is officially open. I’m sure there will have been some changes made, and it’ll be interesting to compare the two.

Highly recommend this show!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#9re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/13/07 at 2:18pm

Great

We see it next Sunday

Poster Emeritus

worrell4077
#10re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/13/07 at 8:55pm

"From the musicals website , the demo CD is sold out but there will be a cast recording of the show . Hopefully it actually happens."

The website did mention the cd of the off broadway cast was coming.

Where is the stage door at the theatre and did everyone come out afterwards?

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#11re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/13/07 at 9:41pm

Honestly... I was not really impressed with the score ! very Frank Wildhorn... though I would love to see Hunter Foster...dont know if that's enough reason....who knows ? re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)

J*

TheEnchantedHunter
#12re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/13/07 at 10:40pm

Absurd idea. Inferior material.

Milo Tindle
London, England

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#13re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/13/07 at 11:21pm

Worrell ~ From what I understand from when I asked on here, they just come out through the lobby. I was going to stay, but it's so far down 37th and there's not a lot around and I was by myself, so I didn't hang out to see. I know a friend wants to see it, so probably when she's with me we'll hang out afterwards and see.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Little-Lotte Profile Photo
Little-Lotte
#14re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/14/07 at 12:11am

I saw it on Friday, the third preview. I'm not going to go into huge amounts of details, because I know a lot of people haven't seen it, but I will just make a disclaimer that there will be some spoilers here so read on at your own risk.

Overall, it was really good, there are some things that need to be cut or omitted all together however the show is in pretty strong shape.

There are some scenes: the hanging of the condemed man, the creature's awakening, the hanging of Justine, the transformation of Justine into the bride that are theatrically, atmospherically, emotionally, etc. just brilliantly done. I haven't been creeped out like that in a theater ever, the only exception being the final moments of the Sweeney revival. These scenes are really just perfection and in my opinion are worth the ticket price alone!

Some things that I feel need fixing are a lot of the blocking, the death of Elizabeth and the journey across Europe to the Arctic. We were sitting in center orchestra, in the center of the row about five rows in. For nearly any show, these would be ideal seats, far enough away to get the entire "picture" but close enough to see all the facial expressions. However we saw WAY too many backs and often the ensemble would be blocking the action that we should be watching. The hanging and especially the first moments that the creature is brought to life, the latter we couldn't really see what was going on on the back platform. The way this show is designed, the mezzanine would be pretty great seats to see things.

Elizabeth's death was a bit anti-climaxtic. She's a major focus throughout the entire show, yet it just wasn't handled as well as I thought it should be. This moment is supposed to bring Victor's vengence and madness over the edge. She is his main focus and now that she's gone, all he can focus on is obsession with the creature.

The journey wasn't necessarily bad, it just really needs to be shortened a bit.

I loved the simplicity of this production. Just lighting effects and projections and a few props. Yet it still conveyed the mood, some scenes more than others at this point, that they want to achieve. I already had a huge knowledge of the book since I studied it extensively in high school so I really didn't see any issues with the book really at all. A lot of people didn't like that it's a non-linear storyline and what not, but I had no issue following it and I don't think anyone really should unless they come in really late or just aren't paying attention.

The cast is really fabulous on all accounts.
The ensemble is really strong, nice seeing Patrick doing more in this.

Jim Stanek: is really only used here and there but in his key scene...he's marvelous! Nice to see him get to use his voice more.

Mandy Bruno: I had a huge issue with Mandy being in Les Miz...I don't know what the change is but she is absolutely wonderful in this, acting, singing, everything!

Christiane Noll: has a gorgeous voice (I've loved her since Jekyll & Hyde) and though in many scenes she's basically just in longing for Victor she is still wonderful. Her little letters to Victor informing him of the deaths were extremely well acted.

Hunter Foster: still needs to find his place in this piece. I had seen him a few times in The Producers and he is obviously doing a complete 180 for this and is working his ass off. I like the fact that he is not the "mad scientist" that we're all used to, just the every man with an obsession. However I feel that he needs to take some things up a notch. I don't really feel the obsession and anguish that I should at certain points in the show. Other than that I really enjoyed him.

Steve Blanchard: I'll be honest I felt he was very lackluster as the Beast in Beauty and the Beast. And I really wasn't sure how he'd be in this and what his direction would be, how he would do the character, etc. Steve blew. me. away! He was absolutely brilliant! I mean, I was in awe of his performance. His acting, his singing, his physicality was just utter perfection. If he doesn't win every theater award that he possibly could then it will be a crime. I wish that this wasn't Off-Broadway because I think that he would be a sure thing for a Tony. He is just amazingly brilliant. He is really the anchor in this show, I'm a girl who loves understudies but I don't think I ever want to see anyone else in the role because I don't think anyone could ever do it as well.

I'm really excited to see the show again, it will be frozen by the time I see it so I'll be seeing the finished product. I'm anxious to know what's going to be changed and/or taken out. I really enjoyed myself and I hope that the show has a healthy run.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#15re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/14/07 at 12:24am

I loved the simplicity of this production. Just lighting effects and projections and a few props. Yet it still conveyed the mood, some scenes more than others at this point, that they want to achieve. I already had a huge knowledge of the book since I studied it extensively in high school so I really didn't see any issues with the book really at all. A lot of people didn't like that it's a non-linear storyline and what not, but I had no issue following it and I don't think anyone really should unless they come in really late or just aren't paying attention.

Yep, I saw it Friday night too! :) I followed it just fine also. Of course, I've been reading a lot of Jose Saramago lately, and his writing style can be pretty hard to follow, so maybe I'm used to it. I'd be willing to be the aforementioned (in my original post) couple next to me who came in about a third of the way into the first act and proceeded to act as if they were alone in a hotel room or the back of a movie theatre had trouble following it.

Elizabeth's death was a bit anti-climaxtic. She's a major focus throughout the entire show, yet it just wasn't handled as well as I thought it should be. This moment is supposed to bring Victor's vengence and madness over the edge. She is his main focus and now that she's gone, all he can focus on is obsession with the creature.

That may be what i felt was lacking...the intensity it should have caused. Still, I have hope they'll work it out during previews and intensify it.

I'm really excited to see the show again, it will be frozen by the time I see it so I'll be seeing the finished product. I'm anxious to know what's going to be changed and/or taken out. I really enjoyed myself and I hope that the show has a healthy run.

I definitely want to see it again once it's frozen. I really liked it and want to see what changes they make. And I share your hope for a long healthy run!

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#16re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/24/07 at 11:20pm

Posting here, rather than creating my own thread...saw Frankenstein at 37 Arts tonight, saw Young Frankenstein on Saturday, and I have to say that I think they are two completely different shows and shouldn't be compared to each other, but since everyone seems to be doing so, um...as a whole, I liked Frankenstein more. I know- I'm so in the minority here on that one.

Young Frankenstein totally has the fun flashy production numbers thing going on, but as a whole, when it comes to overall telling a story onstage, I thought Frankenstein accomplished that more, whereas YF was all about big number. stop. big number. stop. etc. for the entire show. (Keep in mind that I've never seen YF the film.)

Is Frankenstein flawless? Not in the least- I thought the ending was wrapped up too fast, and Act I could have been trimmed down a bit, etc. But it was dark and twisted, and told a story, and made me care about this flawed obsessed man and his creature, and the music worked in telling the story, and I enjoyed the staging, and the use of lighting, and just really overall had such a good time tonight.

But I do agree with that interview that Hunter Foster did with broadway.com- see both! :)

nutterbutter Profile Photo
nutterbutter
#17re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/25/07 at 11:39am

Cool video about the show I found on the FRANKENSTEIN website.

Broadway Beat Video Updated On: 10/25/07 at 11:39 AM

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#18re: Frankenstein (the musical) (aka 'Hunterstein' as coined by Anakela)
Posted: 10/25/07 at 11:44am

I cannot wait to see this on Friday, trainwreck or not.

Videos