News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for myshikobit

myshikobit Profile Photo
Member Name: myshikobit
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Songs added to shows for technical reasons?  Jul 10 2012, 06:00:56 PM
"On the Street Where You Live," from My Fair Lady
A Little Night Music- Protagonist?  Apr 18 2012, 11:45:39 PM
Well, knowing the protagonist really helps the creative team to focus the production; it changes what you emphasize, it makes the structure more linear, it makes the end product more satisfying because the whole is unified by a driving question. I'm not going to start on Company before I begin to really analyze it, but I'd suspect that, much like Angels in America, it's comprised of an epic structure, meaning that each scene is a mini-play with its own protagonist and antagonists. But most plays
A Little Night Music- Protagonist?  Apr 18 2012, 01:56:51 AM
Correction- I've only seen clips, but it seems Sean Mathias's 1995 with Judi Dench did very well, based on the reviews I've been reading (THANK YOU, BRITISH DIRECTORS WHO CAN TAKE MUSICALS SERIOUSLY AS A WORK OF DRAMA!!) My oversight, so apologies. What have those who saw that production taken away from it? What about Fredrik in terms of that production?
A Little Night Music- Protagonist?  Apr 17 2012, 11:55:29 PM
Gaveston- I highly recommend it. It's very succinct, so it's an easy first read with endless repeat value.

As for the show- I think what Ball understands is not that there can be two protagonists (don't think there truly is, but that's just my opinion), but each antagonist is, too, a protagonist... in their own story. What's important is that they have their own needs/wants/desires which just happen to be in direct opposition to the protagonist. Which makes this play really interes

A Little Night Music- Protagonist?  Apr 17 2012, 01:38:09 AM
The class's definition of MDQ stems from "Backwards and Forwards" by David Ball. I'm pretty sure the term is pre-existing, but our understanding of it as a class is supported directly by its contents. The text was published in 1983 and, from my understanding, is now one of the standard Script Analysis textbooks for most major universities (I know for a fact that Ithaca and my university's theatre department uses it, and I believe I've heard friends at NYU and CMU, which are the nation's current
A Little Night Music- Protagonist?  Apr 15 2012, 06:54:08 PM
Well, that's more the question that we, as the audience, should like to ask Fredrik, but the MDQ is based off of the protagonist's pursuit of his/her needs, wants and desires and is answered through the culmination of the play's action. Fredrik's is definitely answered in a manner he didn't anticipate. Thanks for the input!
A Little Night Music- Protagonist?  Apr 15 2012, 05:55:11 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your opinions- this has been a great discussion to read! So, the conclusion I've come to is that Fredrik is protagonist, insofar as he incites the basic action by taking Anne to Desiree's show in the first place (he knows that it will be a bawdy show, and he knows that Desiree will be devilishly sexual; isn't his hope that Anne could watch Desiree and become sexually inspired? Isn't he trying to fashion Anne into who Desiree was?) The MDQ seems to be "Will Fredrik consummat
A Little Night Music- Protagonist?  Apr 15 2012, 02:45:21 AM
Hello, all!

I'm analyzing the script of ALNM for a class and was up in the air about who the protagonist is; in writing my explanation of the question, I actually ended up articulating what I think is a solid answer, but want to enlist your opinions to see if a case could be made for another character. (I was torn between Fredrik and Desiree).

Thanks!

Musicals Set in New Orleans?  Feb 4 2012, 03:32:35 AM
Hmmm... interesting! It's also interesting to note that Mardi Gras and Doctor Jazz, too, were flops that played in close chronological proximity to each other. I really don't know if there are reasons for this proximity, but it sure is interesting and there are parallels to be drawn. And it's good to know that I'm not missing any obvious-New Orleans based musicals! As far as "Princess and the Frog" goes, the professor who's teaching the course just published work of some sort on the underside of
Musicals Set in New Orleans?  Feb 3 2012, 11:29:57 AM
Hey!

I'm an undergrad taking a class on the sounds of New Orleans right now. As we began discussion, I immediately remembered that both Thou Shalt Not and Marie Christine opened and failed within two years of each other (1999-2001) and were both set in New Orleans. I'm looking into seeing if I can do a case study/analysis of sorts of musical theatre's take on New Orleans, and am wondering what other musicals use New Orleans as a setting? Thanks!

Modern plays appropriate for 16-19 yearolds  Jul 14 2011, 05:27:25 PM
I taught an acting class to the same age group in fall semester of last year, so I can tell you this; for the most part, students/parents/etc. will probably not care about what is used in a class. The high school is in a fairly conservative region and it would be a problem if we were to stage productions of any of the plays covered, however I taught them How I Learned to Drive and came across no problems (the clincher there was that HILTD was in a approved anthology, and so it was untouchable; h
The Official Kennedy Center FOLLIES Thread  May 25 2011, 05:15:45 PM
I just looked over the ATC post, where someone (superbly) summarized most of the important points, so I'll just add tiny notes.

Ron Raines, on the difference between the last time he played Ben and now, was talking about how characters live with you as you grow older, and how you grow to understand them more- I was so happy he made that note. So true. Especially with Sondheim- it's very true.

The moderator, mistakenly, asked Jan if she had any plans for Sally, and with such g

The Official Kennedy Center FOLLIES Thread  May 24 2011, 10:06:44 PM
Went to the talk back today.

It was so nice to hear all of the actors voices live! I was going to comment to Bernadette about how her voice is such a fixture in my house, and because of La Strada my little sisters refer to her as Gelsomina (teehee), but it seemed unruly.

Which leads me to the actual questions- I asked the cast PalJoey's "FolliesDirectorLitmusTest" (Can people see their ghosts?), to which Elaine Page replied with an unbridled "No. Or so we have been instructed"

THE SHAGGS -- Thoughts?  May 18 2011, 09:25:59 AM
Aww, I'm really sad that this isn't working out- what a fascinating premise.
Broadway Song-Dialogue Lyrics GAME  May 17 2011, 09:42:37 AM
I don't think I know for sure, but for the sake of the game, I'll hazard a wild, blind guess and say Best Little Whorehouse Goes Public?
-------
"A woman's place is in the home,
A woman's place is on the shelf.
And home is where he hangs her hat,
And that is where she hangs himself."

BABY, IT'S YOU! Reviews  Apr 27 2011, 08:14:16 AM
I'm really excited to see these reviews...
Broadway Song-Dialogue Lyrics GAME  Apr 27 2011, 08:13:17 AM
No one ever got the correct answers to "Where was I when...", which was MINNIE'S BOYS and the most recent was TEA FOR TWO....

"Whatcha doin?
Maud, my ideal?
Maud, my idol?
Whatcha doin?

Practicin hard on your violin
Napkin folded under your chin.
I'm a rat, but when you play,
my mind is a million miles away."

The Normal Heart 1st Preview  Apr 25 2011, 02:32:04 PM
I caught the show last Weds. night, and it was doubtlessly the most powerful piece of theatre I've ever seen- the acting was uniformly brilliant and the play was very strong and poignant and well-written and relevant. I had read the play before, but had no idea how much it would move me on the stage. I was just filled with so much rage and sorrow and, most surprisingly of all, hope. I will always be in debt to the entire cast and crew of The Normal Heart- that was theatre at its best.
Broadway Song-Dialogue Lyrics GAME  Apr 13 2011, 02:14:14 PM
Merrily We Roll Along

-----

"Just a bottle of gin and a coupla aspirin and I'll be like brand new"

FOLLIES MATINEE TICKETS FOR SALE  Apr 13 2011, 02:05:37 PM
Yes, please! PM me?
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You