The Normal Heart 1st Preview

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/19/11 at 10:39pm

This was about as close to a perfect production I think I can ever expect to see in my life.

I'll write more when I get home but I fully expect Tony Awards to go to Joe Mantello and to Ellen Barkin. This was beyond anything I could have ever expected going in tonight.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#2The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/19/11 at 10:41pm

GAH I AM SO EXCITED TO SEE THIS ON FRIDAY!!!!! I can't wait to hear your complete thoughts, Jordan.

bwayfan7000
#2The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/19/11 at 10:48pm

I'm very interested to know how the production ended up looking (ie, was it a staged reading or not...?)

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Jordan Catalano
#3The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/19/11 at 10:51pm

No it's not a reading. Sets are very minimal but I love it because the story doesn't need fancy sets (or in some scenes anything more than two chairs).

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#4The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/19/11 at 10:52pm

Were the actors on book? I am seeing it Monday and I am very excited!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#5The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/19/11 at 10:57pm

No it was off book and fully realized and I Do mean fully realized. It was perfect. I agree with Jordan- Joe and Ellen will win Tony Awards for this.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#6The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/19/11 at 11:06pm

GAH that makes me so happy. Joe winning a Tony for this just seems like a perfect circle.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#7The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/19/11 at 11:25pm

I have tickets for this in May. I am excited about seeing it. I Loved the Public's revival a couple years ago. Hope this was just as gut wrenching!
As didactic as I find the play, it does speak out with all the anger and fear of the time.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#8The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/19/11 at 11:28pm

I agree that it was perfection. I just told my partner that I am taking him to see this in May. Really outstanding and needs to be seen by everyone.

April Saul
#9The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/19/11 at 11:31pm

Now the question is, if you saw and really enjoyed the recent staged reading that prompted the revival as I did, must you now go back again to see this at Broadway prices? Which then prompts another question: anybody know if they've got a rush policy? The Normal Heart 1st Preview

TimmyJ51 Profile Photo
TimmyJ51
#10The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/19/11 at 11:46pm

I saw it tonight, and I had NO idea it was the first preview.

I rarely post, and hate to speak in hyperbole, but quite simply - breathtaking and unforgettable.

The set is very simple - three white walls, which have lots of grooves in them. I feel quite stupid for not realizing that the raised portions are actually many quotes intertwined - "GMHC," "Mayor Koch," and many, many other words. Right below the proscenium, there's an area with projections that display the setting of each scene. All the actors bring in/out the props - mainly chairs and tables.

The actors occasionally - and very, very discretely - tripped over their lines here and there, but I think it lent itself well to the conversational nature of the play. More importantly, it didn't matter. The action of the play flowed seamlessly, engrossingly, and every single word and action was invested with such depth and clarity of emotion.

It's tough to single out any performance since they all contribute so beautifully to the ensemble, but I have to join in on the chorus - Joe Mantello and Ellen Barkin are fantastic, and I'm actually more impressed with the latter given past roles/expectations. You could hear a pin drop during her second act monologue - every single person in that theater was completely swept up in her every word.

**EDIT - I've never seen or read the play before, and don't know any previous incarnations, but they were completely off book. Updated On: 4/19/11 at 11:46 PM

Jordan Catalano
#11The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/19/11 at 11:50pm

Oh God, that monologue. Those few minutes are probably the play equivalent of seeing Ethel Merman do "Rose's Turn". It's something you'll never forget.

I can only hope when this show ends, she returns to Broadway as soon as possible.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#12The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/19/11 at 11:57pm

I told myself I wasn't going to read this thread, but then I couldn't resist opening it.

I'm simultaneously thrilled and heartbroken, but the heartbreak is only personal, and ultimately, I know, only selfish.

It sounds like this production is everything the play deserves. And I hope the reception to it will also be everything the play deserves. I'm glad to see that people are seeing what I do in it. I won't get to see it at least until June, but I can't wait.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

bwayfan7000
#13The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/19/11 at 11:57pm

Now I'm kicking myself for not figuring out a way to see this...

AlfieByrne
#14The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/19/11 at 11:58pm

Is the production close to selling out? Any idea if they have discounts/rush besides the rear mezzanine seats?

TimmyJ51 Profile Photo
TimmyJ51
#15The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/20/11 at 12:00am

I didn't see the rush policy, but I got my tickets through tdf. Orchestra, Row J.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#16The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/20/11 at 12:01am

I was there tonight too and was blown away. All of the actors were amazing especially Joe Mantello whom I loved in the reading this fall. Ms. Barkin's monologue was exceptional. I fully intend on buying another ticket tomorrow on my way up to another show.

Jordan Catalano
#17The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/20/11 at 12:01am

The last two rows in the mezz are $26.50

April Saul
#18The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/20/11 at 12:05am

I think it'll be pretty easy to score a TDF ticket to this one, at least until reviews come out. It's up there now for a lot of dates, and it's an insanely competitive theater season. Guess I'll have to go back!

mamaleh
#19The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/20/11 at 12:09am

I saw the benefit performance reading half a year ago and was very impressed with the play and the entire cast, especially Joe Mantello. Is it sufficiently different to merit a return trip? Thanks.

April Saul
#20The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/20/11 at 12:19am

I, too, would appreciate hearing from someone who saw both the staged reading and this production as to whether mamaleh and I need to go back...let us know!

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#21The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/20/11 at 12:20am

Well I saw both and think it's definitely worth a return visit

bwayfan7000
#22The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/20/11 at 12:23am

Whatever happened Cheyenne Jackson doing this? I thought he was in it, but I don't see his name anywhere on cast lists for the show...

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#23The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/20/11 at 12:24am

How long is the play?

Jordan Catalano
#24The Normal Heart 1st Preview
Posted: 4/20/11 at 12:25am

Right around 2 1/2 hours