News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Jumpin_J

Member Name: Jumpin_J
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

& JULIET Recoups Its Investment
 Jun 11 2024, 01:52:10 PM
I've been screaming from the rooftops that this isn't sustainable. The model is broken. As budgets continue to spiral upwards, recoupment will take long if at all which will scare investors away and shows will get harder to open. Why do you think Stereophonic has 58 credits above the title? It's capitalized at $8M which is crazy for a 7 person, one set play. So what do the lead producers do? "You get a Tony, and You get a Tony, and You get a Tony,..." to make up for either leaving you money park

Nov 10 2023, 06:25:22 PM
I saw it a few nights ago. It was interesting. Act I is based on the "The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie" and Act II is based on "The Exterminating Angel", both movies I saw before seeing the show which definitely helped as it was clear they hit the major plot points in both. The music in Act I I thought was, to quote Sondheim, nice. Not good or not bad but just nice. The problem for me was the lack of music in Act II. It's hard to call it a musical when only about 50% has actual songs, and e
SUFFS is coming to Broadway
 Oct 19 2023, 12:25:31 PM

More remarkable which no one seems to be talking about is the proposed budget of $19M. What in the world of Spider Man are they spending that on? Ms. Clinton, if the audience doesn't get to see Hugh Jackman driving a  Delorean suspended by a helicopter, I'm calling into question this whole production. Unless literally half of that budget is going into advertising and reserve, then this whole set up is iffy at best.  

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
 Oct 16 2023, 11:32:25 AM

As I posted elsewhere, I saw it and it's the same production that London's Menier Chocolate Company did in 2012. Same director, same set, everything the same except for the cast. People are raving about this like this is Sondheim's greatest show of all time which is simply baffling to me. I'm not saying the emperor has no clothes. I mean it's fine. It's still Merrily which has always been a flawed show. Maybe they tweaked the book a tad to focus on Frank's story, b

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
 Oct 16 2023, 11:29:25 AM

I saw it and it's the same production that London's Menier Chocolate Company did in 2012. Same director, same set, everything the same except for the cast. People are raving about this like this is Sondheim's greatest show of all time which is simply baffling to me. I'm not saying the emperor has no clothes. I mean it's fine. It's still Merrily which has always been a flawed show. Maybe they tweaked the book a tad to focus on Frank's story, but aside from that, I didn't see any difference. One of the show's main problems is the second act is really ballad heavy and slows the pace a lot. Radcliffe is, well, fine. Not a great voice but serviceable. Groff didn't start off well but got better as the show progressed. The women are the real standouts especially Mendez and Brown. But was it worth waiting 10 years just to get Radcliffe and Groff to market the show? Maybe, but I don't feel it benefited the art of the show. I wasn't knocked out like everyone else seems to be, and at $140 for the cheapest seats on sale at the box office (which I got to avoid nearly $25 in "service fees", it's a fine show. Nothing more, nothing less. 7 out of 10. 

Oct 10 2023, 10:40:01 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Truly warms the heart to read MERRILY reviews this strong…and quite the rave for Groff by Jesse Green.

It could be Groff vs Redmayne come Tony time.
"

Eddie might get nominated for just being him which would be wrong, but I HATED Cabaret. The director blew it. The MC is constantly angry which contradicts his opening monologue of "In here, everything is beautiful". Sally is constantly hysterical so she has nowh

Oct 10 2023, 10:35:24 AM

barcelona20 said: "Any chance this gets filmed?"

There's a film version already in production with Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein so it's unlikely this one will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrily_We_Roll_Along_(film)

Oct 6 2023, 08:29:56 AM

Trying desperately to steer the conversation back to the matter at hand, there are ways to protest and make positive movement to get people on your side. Civil disobedience has always been essential in change. That being said, there's better ways than others. I do not believe this group ever think their protests through. By stopping a show, did they change anyone's minds? I'd say certainly not. Not only did they fail to do that, they were endangering lives of the company and the a

"Just Stop Oil" protestors jumped on stage at Les Miz West End
 Oct 4 2023, 10:56:16 PM

Call_me_jorge said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "Imagine if this were to happen on Broadway!"

Something similar almost occurred at Frozen in 2018, but Timothy Hughes quickly put a stop to it. I guess it would be a bad look if a cast member had yanked a poster away that said “end climate change” or something like that.
"

Remember how protestors jumped on stage at Shakespeare In The Park's Julius Caesar? So it happened before.

DruidO'Casey
 Oct 4 2023, 08:11:20 PM

I saw Druid do Waiting For Godot for Lincoln Center's "White Lights" festival and was profoundly disappointed. Pacing was slow and without any humor or insight. Shockingly dull. 

2024 Tony Awards will be held at Koch Theatre, Lincoln Center
 Oct 4 2023, 08:06:04 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "Nice choice IMO.

Lincoln Center has some gorgeous spaces and the acoustics are top-notch. I once went to the Geffen back in 2018 to see Dudamel conduct Beethoven’s 9th complete with a full chorus, and it was quite the experience.
"

Acoustics at Geffen Hall and the State Theater (which I will continue to call it and if Mr. Koch wants me to refer it under his name then I have my price) are vastly different. When it was Avery Fischer, t

ALNM revival rumor...
 Oct 4 2023, 08:01:52 PM

Kad said: "I am not convinced Rudin is totally out of the industry- he may just not be public facing about it. But that's another issue.

And an aggressive producer like Rudin would absolutely have secured rights and started reaching out to talent for any number of potential projects, even if they would never have come to fruition. We don't know, definitively, what he had in the works- I'd heard, for instance, he had Tony Kushner working on a new adaptation of T

Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
 Oct 2 2023, 06:40:40 PM

Everybody else in the crowd was lovely though! and the staff too! High hopes for next year. Also, question (which I hope is appropriate), would all of today's purchases count as tax-deductible donations to BCEFA or not?"

You'd need to ask your accountant about it, but generally any amount over the retail value of the item would be deductible. IE An item bought for $110 that would cost $100, that $10 would be tax deductible, but you should ask a professional. 

The Shubert Theater already has a new tenant lined up
 Oct 1 2023, 03:16:37 PM

wcoyote said: "BroadwayBen said: "What about Betty Boop?"

Smash to the Shubert. Boop possibly to the James depending on how well Spamalot sells.

"

Spamalot is a limited engagement so it doesn't matter how well it sells. 

Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
 Oct 1 2023, 03:14:23 PM

ACL2006 said: "HERE WE ARE to the Shubert?"

It's coming in cold at the Shed. Not everything Sondheim does transfers. Road Show sure didn't and got burned badly when it opened. Wait. 

Bold prediction--Smash will be a Smash
 Sep 23 2023, 05:13:10 PM

A smash? Based on what evidence? To quote Janet Jackson to Susan Stroman, "what have you done for me lately"? She hasn't had a hit show in 22 years. IT was a show called The Producers. Yes, almost literally a generation ago.  And remember, she pretty much inherited it from her husband who passed away. I'm not saying she didn't do any work to make the show successful. And as a choreographer, if you want a big production number, she delivers on all cylinders today. &n

Operation Mincemeat planning Broadway transfer.
 Sep 23 2023, 05:03:00 PM

Can't say I loved it. There's potential for something really good here but it needs work. Starting with the artwork. Nobody gets it. I've shown it to people who work in the business and they have no idea that's supposed to be Hitler. Apparently the company thinks it's hilarious. They're in for a rude surprise if it comes to NY. The sound mix when I saw it was awful. The vocals during the songs sounded so flat with the audio, I couldn't make out 1/4 of the words esp

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Previews
 Sep 20 2023, 06:50:17 PM

Jumpin_J said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "BdwyFan said: "This will be a hard ticket to get I’ve a feeling."

More like costing an arm and a leg! But probably.
"

$150 for obstructed view in the balcony.
"

And as a PS, that's going to the box office and avoiding the service fees. 

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Previews
 Sep 20 2023, 06:28:55 PM

Dylan Smith4 said: "BdwyFan said: "This will be a hard ticket to get I’ve a feeling."

More like costing an arm and a leg! But probably.
"

$150 for obstructed view in the balcony. 

PETER PAN GOES WRONG to open this spring
 Sep 18 2023, 12:49:18 PM

Also Broadway World just announced a new block of tickets just went live for The Play That Goes Wrong through April 2024 at New World Stages. I can't believe they haven't gotten it right by now. Winston must be a dead dog if they haven't found him yet. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You