News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Jumpin_J

Member Name: Jumpin_J
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Bernadette Peters & Lea Salonga to Lead OLD FRIENDS On Broadway
 Oct 24 2024, 07:28:15 PM
I saw it in London. For a Sondheim tribute, it really doesn't get much better than this. Peters sounded fine when I saw her and Lea's voice was tremendous. I won't ruin the Sunday In The Park moment but I nearly teared up when it happened which is something I rarely do. The worst thing though is Janie Dee opting out of the transfer. She's amazing in it, but as she said in her cabaret show in Edinburgh this summer, she feels that flying across the pond would add to the carbon footprint which she'
SMASH On Broadway reveals casting
 Oct 24 2024, 07:20:40 PM
ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "ShowBro said: "Why the producers think this has equal to or more brand recognition than SLIH is a mystery to me. SLIH was a financial flop and this, without anystar power in the cast, is going to do what at the box office with its limited built in audience??"

Beats me. Feels like TOOTSIE 2.0.

It's going to have to appeal primarily to people who didn't watch the TV show, without alienating those who actually liked

LEFT ON TENTH Previews
 Oct 17 2024, 09:14:36 PM

HunterK said: "I went last night. Getting a Rush ticket at 12:30pm for the 7pm show.

I honestly thought it was a mess and I didn'tknow going in it was directed by Susan Stroman. The tech aspects were all over the place. Late sound cues, clunky scenery, the amount of times you could see the stage crew (not in scrubs.) You would think it was a dress rehearsal. Julianna seemed to be over acting and Peter Gallagher (who looks great) needs to lear his lines. He cut off all of the ac

Article: OPERATION MINCEMEAT... plots its course to New York
 Oct 17 2024, 09:06:41 PM
Call_me_jorge said: "Since it’s now available Mincemeat SHOULD be working with the Shuberts to open at the Music Box instead."

Absolutely no. OM only has a cast of six (not "Six", obviously) and has found a comfortable home in the West End's Fortune Theatre of 432 seats. Too big of a house and the cast members would look lost and the Music Box is over 1000. One of the smallest theaters they could get was the Golden of 800 seats where I think aside fr

STEREOPHONIC Announces Final Extension
 Oct 1 2024, 05:13:13 PM
EDSOSLO858 said: "Makes sense, should be a rather quick turnaround for The Picture of Dorian Gray, so I hear."

Nope. "Operation: Mincemeat" was officially announced today for the Golden. If I thought DG was going in this season, my bet is the Belasco. I hear "Maybe Happy Ending" isn't selling and DG would be a good fit there being a one person show in a modest size theater.

STEREOPHONIC Announces Final Extension
 Oct 1 2024, 05:09:36 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Per Michael Schulman of The New Yorker, STEREOPHONIC has been hit with a lawsuit by Ken Caillat& Steven Stiefel, who wrote the book MAKING RUMOURS, about the recording sessions for Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours." Caillat was the engineer of that recording and the book is told from his perspective. Some aspects of STEREOPHONIC beara striking resemblance to what's chronicled in the book, despite being about a fictional band.

Caillat & Stiefelare suing David Adjmi and the producers"for their flagrant and willful infringement of Plaintiffs' copyrighted work," saying that the play"uncannily duplicates"sequences of events depicted in the book. David Adjmi has downplayed the similarities:“When writing Stereophonic I drew from multiple sources—including autobiographical details from my own life—to create a deeply personal work of fiction. Any similarities to Ken Caillat’s excellent book are unintentional.”

The Schulman articlenotes a few glaring similarities, andsince Adjmi acknowledges having read the book, there may be a case here. Perhaps there'll be some kind of quiet financial settlement/profit-sharing agreement to make this go away.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/09/30/the-roots-of-the-tony-winning-stereophonic
"

After trying to watch this and leaving at intermission, my immediate response is this was the worst version of "Fleetwood Mac: Behind The Music" ever. The egos, the drugs, people sleeping with each other, but with worse writing and forgettable music. I thought maybe the members of Fleetwood Mac would sue the writers for not obtaining the life rights. For the author saying this isn't based on Fleetwood Mac is laughable. 

Sep 27 2024, 02:57:12 PM
bway1430 said: "Jumpin_J said: "Kad said: "The point still stands that they all won Oliviers so whether or not they're original scores is irrelevant."

I counter that it is relevant if this discussion is about the prospects of Mincemeat being a success on Broadway. Jukebox musicals are far more successful in the West End than Broadway. Furthermore, especially if we're talking awards, the Tonys usually frown on jukebox shows and give props to or

Sep 26 2024, 12:30:57 PM
Kad said: "The point still stands that they all won Oliviers so whether or not they're original scores is irrelevant."

I counter that it is relevant if this discussion is about the prospects of Mincemeat being a success on Broadway. Jukebox musicals are far more successful in the West End than Broadway. Furthermore, especially if we're talking awards, the Tonys usually frown on jukebox shows and give props to original shows which is why Sunny Afterno

Sep 26 2024, 10:12:33 AM
bway1430 said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "Their pricing model of “same price for every seat that increases every day” is pretty brilliant - and unlikely to be duplicated here - but I really don’t see this doing well. As a fairly stupid American with little knowledge of World War II history, every clip I’ve looked up of this has left me totally cold."

Trust me. The show won't make you any wiser on events around World War II and good luck staying awake un

Sep 26 2024, 10:10:29 AM
Dolly80 said: "I agree. This show is utterly tedious. I didn’t laugh once. There is no denying the commitment of the cast, but its drama student level material. It’s even more excruciating to watch than The Play That GoesWrong"

Given how The Play That Goes Wrong has been playing in NYC since 2017, me thinks you doth protest too much. OM should run half as long.

Sep 25 2024, 08:32:39 PM
binau said: "It could win best musical (and I’d certainly give it 100 times over than Tammy Faye at least in its original incarnation), but it could also just instantly flop and be forgotten about come Tonys. I’m not sure if a cold opening on Broadway with the original unknown cast is a sure bet like they think it is. Should they not follow the same route to west end and start off-Broadway first to build some hype and word of mouth?"

But it's already

Sep 25 2024, 08:28:53 PM
Dolly80 said: "The bigger problem is that it’s a pile of unfunny crap. The fact that this would cost $14 million in NYC should send alarm bells ringing."

"A piece of crap" that won the Olivier for Best Musical and has been sold out since it opened. To quote The Dude, that's like your opinion, man.

Sep 25 2024, 08:26:19 PM
two ladies tickets said: "The original cast will play their final performance on Saturday. Most people have been assuming that they would be announcing the new West End cast along with the fact that the original cast will be transferring to Broadway, but it's already Wednesday and that announcement has not come.
as a British expat who's lived in New York for over 20 years I can't really gauge whether or not this show is too British for American audiences, but if

Sep 25 2024, 08:24:57 PM
Jordan Catalano said: "Jesus. $14 million vs £2 million.

I still don’t fully understand the differences in mounting a show that make that difference.
"

Producing for Broadway is very different than the West End. West End productions have elements of production that are either covered or nationally subsidized like heath care. This can take a huge chunk of capitalization off the top. There's nothing like that for Broadway though there shoul

Sep 25 2024, 08:23:32 PM

Sep 25 2024, 08:20:48 PM
And yet you can have a show like "Six" about the six wives of Henry VIII which is still doing great business years after opening. Also see "Billy Elliott" which takes place during the miner's strike in Thatcher's England which ran for years. This is about a plot to foil Hitler and winning WWII for the allies. The story is more important than where it originates.
THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA Previews
 Sep 25 2024, 10:02:38 AM
blaxx said: "Jumpin_J said: "Piparoo said: "It’s a bummer that the herbal cigs are irritating for folks. We should all be able to breathe comfortably in the theatre. I disagree that it’s unnecessary. Cigarette smoking, specifically the mother’s disdain of it, the moments she permits it and its significance for the kids’ rebellion, is kind of a running theme throughout the show."

Thanks for the heads up. I'm finding harder to sit through shows

THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA Previews
 Sep 24 2024, 09:10:13 PM
Piparoo said: "It’s a bummer that the herbal cigs are irritating for folks. We should all be able to breathe comfortably in the theatre. I disagree that it’s unnecessary. Cigarette smoking, specifically the mother’s disdain of it, the moments she permits it and its significance for the kids’ rebellion, is kind of a running theme throughout the show."

Thanks for the heads up. I'm finding harder to sit through shows with excessive herbal cigarette smok

MCNEAL Previews
 Sep 24 2024, 09:02:48 PM
I saw it a few nights ago. It's fine, nothing special. I'm pretty sure I saw RDJ with a device as I thought I saw something fall about 20 minutes in. In any event, I don't think it had any affect on the performance. The biggest problem for me personally was Andrea Martin as McNeal's agent. Totally miscast for a poorly written part. I also thought the show couldn't stick the ending. It wanted to have it both ways which was unsatisfactory. It's not a terrible play, and the rest of supporting cast

Sep 23 2024, 03:37:49 PM
I know Irish Rep is a non-profit, and yes I know it includes a meal in front of a very small audience, but with tickets starting at $400, this seems pretty exclusive for the 1%. So many people who might enjoy this will never get the opportunity.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You